Review by DEELITE703 -- For the Love of Suzanne

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DEELITE703
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deelite703.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill

Review by DEELITE703 -- For the Love of Suzanne

Post by DEELITE703 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For the Love of Suzanne by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill is a historical romance novel. It centers on the female protagonist, Suzanne. Her husband has been abusive towards her and after finding herself pregnant, she decides to end the relationship. The same day that she tells her husband that their relationship is done, he dies in a freak work related accident. While she is out for a drive trying to sort out her feelings, she gets magically transported to the 1800’s were she meets a Native American man named Cody. After many obstacles that they face together, they fall in love and return together to the modern world.

I am an avid reader of romance novels and like historical fiction. However, I found this book to be lacking in many areas. The beginning of the book was extremely difficult to get through. Even though Suzanne is introduced as an abuse victim, I found it extremely difficult to become invested in her character. As the story develops, I did not feel like her character showed any growth nor did it become easier to get invested in her.

The story does pick up when she meets Cody, a Native American man, and it becomes slightly easier to read. However, the author spends a lot of time telling you how the characters feel about each other without having them have much interaction with each other. It made it feel like they were strangers one moment, and then magically in love. And yes, there is that whole love at first sight thing going on, but it still just did not come across as authentic. This made it very difficult for me to believe that they had fallen madly in love with each other.

I have always found the topic of time travel interesting. However, the book does very little to make you feel like you are actually reading about the past. It gives you no details about how things look. The only thing that it seems to focus on is the brutality of people and of nature.

The ending of the book did not make any sense to me. Cody is a fearless Native American Warrior who has gone to great lengths to ensure Suzanne’s safety and they’re relationship. Yet, when they make it to modern time, he hides in desert for seven months. Even though he has seen her car numerous times and has heard her calling for him, he was not sure it was Suzanne and continued to hide. That did not seem like something the character would do and just did not make sense.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars.

For the Love of Suzanne
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DEELITE703's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

A really well written review. I also felt the same way while reading this book, but I also would be happy to read it again if it had a good edit, some plot tightening and more 'show' not 'tell'.

I like reading romance, time travel and about cultures I am unfamiliar with and this potentially had them all, I just feel so bad I was not keen on the plot or characters.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

Thank you for the great review. It's to bad about the plot and that it was hard to read.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”