Official Review: The Importance of Being Prudence

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: The Importance of Being Prudence

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Importance of Being Prudence" by Elizabeth Anne Porter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Importance of Being Prudence is a paranormal romance story that does exactly as the title says; delegates the importance of being Prudence. Author Elizabeth Anne Porter takes a new turn on the already popular vampire themed novels, which I have always been a fan of. The Importance of Being Prudence is book number one in the Prudence McDaniel series, with the promise of more books to come.

Prudence McDaniel has pretty much all she could ask for in life. She owns a store specializing in several different types of paranormal paraphernalia. Prudence has one employee, Joshua, who doubles as her best friend. Used to seeing several different, and sometimes strange, people entering her store, Prudence is shocked into awe when a gorgeous man with obscene muscles walks in and renders her speechless. Agreeing to go on a date with the stranger is very out of character for Prudence, but so is sleeping with him on their first date. Prudence wakes up with a pounding head, no memory of what happened, and a bed now missing the handsome stranger. She seems to briefly remember being bitten, which leaves her full of even more questions.

For the duration of the story, Prudence finds herself meeting several more handsome strangers, as well as finding herself in the depths of danger, full of complications she can’t quite understand. Continuously asking questions and not quite receiving any answers, Prudence is even more confused when she is informed that she could be the answer to the intriguing species’ troubles.

For the first few chapters, I didn’t feel like this book was one I was going to enjoy. The beginning felt too cliché for me, and the first few chapters felt too rushed for me to even grasp what was happening. However, once the story stated to settle, I found myself more interested than I thought I would be. Once the pace of the story started to slow down and settle, the journey was enjoyable and felt like a smooth read. I’ve always enjoyed reading paranormal romance, but most of the books I have read have felt too similar to one another. This one was different, in a way that vampires are viewed as (mostly) non-violent, and unlike how most are considered to be immortal, these vampires just age very slowly.

Along with an interesting story line, The Importance of Being Prudence contained unforgettable characters. The main character, Prudence, was such a strong character, helping others when most people would run. Along with her determination and charisma, Prudence was hilarious, and her inner thoughts kept me entertained with laughter. Aside from the men in the story being unbelievably handsome, they were also compassionate. The dialogue between characters was charming and felt like real conversation.

With some polishing, this could easily become a 4-star rating. However, due to the rushed beginning and choppy start, I’m giving The Importance of Being Prudence a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I will gladly recommend this book to others who enjoy paranormal romance novels, however, I would only recommend this book to readers who don’t mind erotic scenes in their books, as this one contains several that are inappropriate for immature readers. I also feel the need to disclose that this book is not one for readers who do not enjoy cliffhangers, as this book ends abruptly, which left me frustratingly waiting for book two.

The Importance of Being Prudence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I don't care for vampire-themed books, but so many people love this genre. Glad you enjoyed the book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kourtney Bradley

bookowlie wrote:Great review! I don't care for vampire-themed books, but so many people love this genre. Glad you enjoyed the book.
Thank you!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

I've been a fan of vampires since I was a child. When it was still a taboo read and not all the rage is now. So naturally I'm always on the hunt for a good vampire read, this seems like it would be something I would enjoy, even if the book doesn't start out so well. Great job on giving an honest and excellent review.
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Kourtney Bradley

Swiftmover07 wrote:I've been a fan of vampires since I was a child. When it was still a taboo read and not all the rage is now. So naturally I'm always on the hunt for a good vampire read, this seems like it would be something I would enjoy, even if the book doesn't start out so well. Great job on giving an honest and excellent review.
I've always been a fan as well. I highly recommend it
–Vera Nazarian
Savingmommy87
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savingmommy87.html

Post by Savingmommy87 »

This sounds like a book that i need to put on my to-read shelf, but it may be awhile before i get to it. I'm not a big fan of cliffhangers unless i already have the next book in hand. Thanks for the warning ☺
Kourtney Bradley

Savingmommy87 wrote:This sounds like a book that i need to put on my to-read shelf, but it may be awhile before i get to it. I'm not a big fan of cliffhangers unless i already have the next book in hand. Thanks for the warning ☺
I'm the same way. I hate waiting! ?
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”