Official Review: Just Breathe by Leigh Finley

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Official Review: Just Breathe by Leigh Finley

Post by AA1495 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just Breathe" by Leigh Finley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Just Breathe by Leigh Finley is a story about forgiveness and second chances. Ana and Scott (our protagonists) had a fling in school. The relationship ended abruptly, with Scott walking away when Ana was at her weakest. Scott tried his best to forget about Ana, but couldn’t succeed. When chance brings them in front of each other, eight years later, Scott is determined to win her back. On the other hand, Ana wants to protect herself from the person who once destroyed her. What Ana undergoes in the eight years, Scott’s reasons for walking away, and what it takes for Ana to give him a second chance form the crux of the story.

Ana is a strong protagonist. Everything that she has been through has only made her personality stronger. She’s smart, financially stable and mature. I liked reading her point of view in the book. As a reader, I could connect with her and found myself rooting for her throughout the book.

Scott, despite the storyline, is likeable. In the present, he’s friendly, calm and determined. I liked the fact that he knew he wanted to get Ana back, and would stop at nothing to do it. Towards the end of the story, I found myself rooting for him as well.

The story is told from both Ana and Scott’s point of views. As a result, I could understand both characters and found myself rooting for both. While the transition was mostly smooth, there were few instances when the shift (between Ana and Scott’s point of views) confused me. This interrupted my flow of reading.

There are many secondary characters in the story – Ana’s friends and ex-husband, Scott’s father and brother, among others. The secondary characters had stories of their own. These subplots were brief and did not affect the main storyline. Each secondary character had a role to play in bringing Ana and Scott together, and I liked how the author effectively handled the secondary characters and their own stories.

The language and grammar are good. There are no obvious mistakes and the book is very easy to read and understand. Further, the book has the perfect length. Most aspects of the story are covered in sufficient detail. However, I wish the confrontation between Ana and her ex-husband had been slightly longer.

The book has considerable drama. There’s a lot of suspense created in the book, which makes the plot more intriguing. However, Ana’s past is very sad and reading those parts affected my mood. While this makes the plot strong, I would not recommend the book to someone who wants a quick, light hearted read.

What I liked best about the book was the fact that both protagonists were likeable and were equal in every sense. No character was dominant over the other and this was a refreshing change.

What I liked least about the book was the short confrontation between Ana and her ex-husband. I wish Ana had said more. I wish Scott had said much more. It didn’t feel like Ana let her heart out. Overall, it didn’t feel like true closure.

On the whole, I liked the book. The plot made me curious and I truly enjoyed reading most parts of the book. I would rate the book 4 out of 4.

The book is meant only for mature audiences. I would recommend the book to anyone who likes mature romance books and does not mind some sad parts.

Just Breathe
View: on Bookshelves

Like AA1495's review? Post a comment saying so!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This book sounds like an emotional roller coaster. I like that the book has minor subplots of other characters, it's nice to read about other people than just the main protagonists. Great job on the review! :-D
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I'm glad that you liked the book so much. Congratulations to the author on such a fantastic review.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

Thank you so much!! Hope you read and enjoy the book! ☺
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Glad to hear that you enjoyed this one so well! And, congrats to the author for receiving such a great rating! Thank you for sharing!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

klbradley wrote:Glad to hear that you enjoyed this one so well! And, congrats to the author for receiving such a great rating! Thank you for sharing!
Thank you so much! I did enjoy it. Hope you give this one a chance! :D
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

Nice review! You make me want to go and read it now!
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

Lauren M wrote:Nice review! You make me want to go and read it now!
Thank you so much! If you do read it, please tell me if you liked it :)
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

I like the straightforward, coherent review. 'Just Breathe' sounds like a perfect mix of drama and romance - something right up my alley. Great job for going into details without spoiling the story!

A quick question, though. when you said that "Ana's past is very sad", did you mean just that or did it refer to a sensitive issue that's traumatic or potentially triggering?
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

erasmus wrote:I like the straightforward, coherent review. 'Just Breathe' sounds like a perfect mix of drama and romance - something right up my alley. Great job for going into details without spoiling the story!

A quick question, though. when you said that "Ana's past is very sad", did you mean just that or did it refer to a sensitive issue that's traumatic or potentially triggering?
Thank you so much! Your comments mean a lot.

Well it refers to 5 distinct life changing events. It is traumatic, but it isn't described in too much detail. You could easily skip those parts without losing track of the story if you want to.
Moizajani
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moizajani.html

Post by Moizajani »

AA1495 wrote:
erasmus wrote:I like the straightforward, coherent review. 'Just Breathe' sounds like a perfect mix of drama and romance - something right up my alley. Great job for going into details without spoiling the story!

Well it refers to 5 distinct life changing events. It is traumatic, but it isn't described in too much detail. You could easily skip those parts without losing track of the story if you want to.
So were they irrelevant to the main plot if you could easily skip those parts?
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

Moizajani wrote:
AA1495 wrote:

That's an interesting question. They are relevant. However, the reader can proceed with the book by just knowing that something had happened. The details can be skipped without affecting the main plot!
Moizajani

Post by Moizajani »

AA1495 wrote:
Moizajani wrote:
AA1495 wrote:

That's an interesting question. They are relevant. However, the reader can proceed with the book by just knowing that something had happened. The details can be skipped without affecting the main plot!
Oh that makes sense. Thank You! :D
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

Moizajani wrote:
AA1495 wrote:
Moizajani wrote:
:D :D welcome to the forums btw! enjoy :D
Moizajani

Post by Moizajani »

AA1495 wrote:
Moizajani wrote:
AA1495 wrote:
:D :D welcome to the forums btw! enjoy :D

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”