Official Review: Prevarication ~ Deceitfully Yours

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Prevarication ~ Deceitfully Yours

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prevarication ~ Deceitfully Yours" by Monica L. Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Prevarication: Deceitfully Yours is an erotic novel written by Monica L. Smith.

Told in the third person, the story was about Jessica Milner, a nursing student at the University of Louisville. She met Justin Thomas at a date party at the Pi Beta Phi sorority house. Justin was the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, sweet and smart. However, there was something about Jessica that even she did not know about. She had an appetite for kinky sex and Bondage, Dominance, Submission/Sadism, Masochism (BDSM). So, when her pharmacology teacher flirted with Jessica, she found herself a willing victim of the seductive and experienced older man.

Though the premise was not altogether original, parts of the story were at some point unpredictable making the book an interesting read. Just when I was starting to second-guess what was about to happen, I got it wrong. Jessica’s decisions and Justin’s reactions were not what I was expecting them to be. Consequently, I found the book difficult to put down.

The best part about the book was the execution of the sex scenes. They were vivid and concise and not the repetitive and protracted narratives that attempt to make the scenes longer than it should be. They were also varietal that every sex scene featured something different which was evidence of the creativeness and imaginativeness of the author.

However, I encountered some problems with the book. The first of which was the simplicity of the plot. The story was basically a love triangle on which the reader was supposed to root for the good guy, in most cases the better guy. In this story, the choice was too obvious. The mystery part, which I was expecting to be a mind blowing revelation seems anticlimactic.

My second problem was with characterization. For a guy described to be smart, Justin had an incongruous reaction to Jessica’s confession. In addition, Kimberly, Justin’s mother, was introduced as agoraphobic but she initially appeared to be a very sweet lady. However, when she learned about Jessica’s unpleasant background she became overly rude and even called Jessica’s friend names which I found to be too juvenile. Moreover, Denver’s daughters were not given sufficient character profiles when they played such important roles later in the story.

Finally, I had problems with details. Some details were irrelevant to the story like Jessica’s feeling sick and going to the hospital but nothing was said about it afterwards while some details were not at all supplied like why Denver was at the club the same time Jessica and Kayla were.

Generally, I enjoyed the book a lot despite the problems I mentioned. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to those who appreciate erotic novels and BDSM. Needless to say, however, that this book contains scenes not suitable for young readers.

Prevarication ~ Deceitfully Yours
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Terrylynsmith
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Terrylynsmith »

I thank you kindly for your review. I appreciate what you have to say and all that was offered here within this review. It's nice to have someone to be honest and point you in the right direction for other projects. THANK YOU!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I enjoyed reading your thoughtful review, kimmyschemy06! Sounds like a steamy book!
Congratulations to the author for receiving a positive review! :tiphat:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Terrylynsmith

Post by Terrylynsmith »

Thank you so much, believe me when I said I was nervous as heck about having someone write a review for me.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Terrylynsmith wrote:I thank you kindly for your review. I appreciate what you have to say and all that was offered here within this review. It's nice to have someone to be honest and point you in the right direction for other projects. THANK YOU!
You're welcome. Good luck on your book. I enjoyed it a lot :)

-- 15 Apr 2016, 23:16 --
hsimone wrote:I enjoyed reading your thoughtful review, kimmyschemy06! Sounds like a steamy book!
Congratulations to the author for receiving a positive review! :tiphat:
Thank you. It is steamy :wink:
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your thoughtful, balanced review. The subject matter is not my cup of tea, but I am sure there are many readers who will find this an enjoyable read.

-- 17 Apr 2016, 07:49 --

I enjoyed reading your thoughtful, balanced review. The subject matter is not my cup of tea, but I am sure there are many readers who will enjoy the book!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your thoughtful, balanced review. The subject matter is not my cup of tea, but I am sure there are many readers who will find this an enjoyable read.

-- 17 Apr 2016, 07:49 --

I enjoyed reading your thoughtful, balanced review. The subject matter is not my cup of tea, but I am sure there are many readers who will enjoy the book!
Thank you. It's not my first choice of reading material either but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Wonderful review! And congratulations to the author on a positive review! While I love a hot steamy book, the whole BDSM is not really my 'cup of tea' as bookowlie put it. :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Wonderful review! And congratulations to the author on a positive review! While I love a hot steamy book, the whole BDSM is not really my 'cup of tea' as bookowlie put it. :)
Thank you! But in case you change your mind about BDSM keep this book in mind.. :D
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:
TrishaAnn92 wrote:Wonderful review! And congratulations to the author on a positive review! While I love a hot steamy book, the whole BDSM is not really my 'cup of tea' as bookowlie put it. :)
Thank you! But in case you change your mind about BDSM keep this book in mind.. :D[/quotei]

Will do! :)

-- April 20th, 2016, 12:01 pm --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:
Thank you! But in case you change your mind about BDSM keep this book in mind.. :D
Will do! :)
Terrylynsmith

Post by Terrylynsmith »

Being the author of this book, I can assure you that the BDSM scenes are light and sensual. It's not what most people would think of when you say....BDSM. :oops:
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

Sounds like a very intriguing book. Thank you for your review
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

Terrylynsmith wrote:
Being the author of this book, I can assure you that the BDSM scenes are light and sensual. It's not what most people would think of when you say....BDSM. :oops:
Nice to hear that from you. Congratulations! I hope to enjoy it too. Great review.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I love the book cover, it's so appealing. Though I'm not one for erotic books, much less BDSM, I find the review interesting and I'm sure the book will tickle the fancy of lovers of this genre. Kudos to the author!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Great review. The book sounds interesting.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”