Official Review: The Beginning: The Blackthorne Saga

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Official Review: The Beginning: The Blackthorne Saga

Post by debo9967 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Beginning: The Blackthorne Saga" by Delaine Christine.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Beginning: Book One of the Blackthorne Saga by Delaine Christine is a book which fits well under both fantasy and romance genre. This is the first installment in the eight-novel series.

Dante Blackthorne is the eldest of six children in the Blackthorne family. From being separated from his family when he was three so that even his siblings had no knowledge of his existence, to his wife’s death in a car accident much later, Dante has known a world of suffering. To cope with his grief, he spends the next fifteen years of his life serving the nation, first in the army and then as an undercover CIA agent. His latest assignment leads him to Astraia, whose husband dies as a result of taking a bullet meant for Dante. So, now he is obliged to keep her, and her three kids safe. While Dante is attempting to find a secure place for them, Astraia develops a curious ailment which leaves Dante no option but to take them to Blackthorne Horse Ranch near Kalispell, Montana. Will this be the ‘beginning’ of the prophecy made by Dante’s mother, Lilyandhi, before she died?

The story has quite a gripping plot and the author introduces a new twist every few pages to keep the reader hooked. However, that also meant this I had to keep going back a few pages or to the character reference to keep track of every new development. The author’s writing style is engaging, though slightly simplistic at times. I wish there was a little more depth to the writing in certain places.

Coming to the characterization, both Astraia and Dante have suffered tremendously and the author has focused on this part very well. The author’s portrayal of Astraia’s PTSD and Dante’s anguish is done beautifully. These parts of the book really caught my attention. The other characters are also relatable. I especially liked Lylia’s character for her genuineness.

What I did not find that impressive about this book was its excessive focus on morality and faith. I understand that this forms an important part of the book and provides context for the story, but after a point it becomes boring and a tad bit puritanical.

Apart from these minor annoyances, I found the book pretty riveting. There is a lot of material which the author can build upon for the future books in this series. I would recommend this one for readers who like romances with a supernatural/fantasy element. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

The Beginning: The Blackthorne Saga
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | Hassle-Free Sample

Like debo9967's review? Post a comment saying so!
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Seems like an interesting story. Nice review.
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thesaurus Rex
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

Thank you for the amazing review. I would probably love this book because of the focus on faith and morality, so not everyone finds that kind of thing boring. But thank you for sharing your opinion!
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thanks.
gran1990
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gran1990.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by gran1990 »

I enjoyed your review, thanks. The sample page was nothing like your review so I looking forward to reading the entire book to see where the romance is.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

This sounds like my kind of book. Dante seems like an honorable character (he is obliged to keep her, and her three kids safe). Great review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”