Official Review: The Whisper of Time by Ute Carbone

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Official Review: The Whisper of Time by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Whisper of Time by Ute Carbone is a fictional romance story. This published novella (along with many other titles by this author) is a love story about correcting destiny. Sometimes we make the wrong choices and fate will lend a hand in getting us back on track. When Gwynn Powell leaves the city and her gambling husband behind for a farmhouse in Vermont, new opportunities and a chance at true love might be in her future.

Have you ever felt something so strong that you knew it was meant to be? Have you ever felt the shadow of another person, another time? Gwynn has. She has always loved the idea of living on a large estate-type property, so when the chance of a lifetime came along, it was too good to pass up. She bought a farm, sight unseen. Unknowingly to her, some extra livestock came with it and a handsome goatherd, named Slate. (Yes, that is the correct word for a person who herds goats. It's like a shepherd, only with goats instead of sheep.) When Gwynn's gambling husband, Kyle, gets in too deep she fears for her safety and escapes to the farmhouse, leaving a note for Kyle to find. If she thought not having a GPS signal was bad, she learns quickly there isn't any WiFi, cable, or cell phone services either. Strange occurances start to unravel around both her and Slate, and perhaps reveal a different destiny for the two of them.

I was moving along through the story, enjoying the easy flow, when things started to not make sense to me, like Slate Peck's Grandmother's age—and Slate's age at that same time. I started jotting down all kinds of questions before realizing this was a plot twist (and completely designed to throw the reader). I thought it was clever. All of the answers were revealed to me by the ending. I enjoyed the twist very much once I understood the direction of the story. Also, the scenery was just the right amount of descriptive for this fast paced book, not weighing it down with indulgent dialogue. An image of a Vermont farmhouse with acres of greenery and a swimming hole was easily pictured in my minds eye.

Knowing Gwynn is still married to Kyle, I felt a little rushed into Gwynn and Slate coming together as lovers. Almost as if she forgot she was married, adultery didn't seem to cross her mind, and in reality it would be a likely consideration. I did find a missing word in a couple of sentences, but no major issues.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I found it to be a delightful, light read. It was better than okay, but I reserve that extra star for the most exceptional stories. I recommend “The Whisper of Time” to all romance readers, especially those who have just a little time to spend on reading. You could finish it in one sitting!

Side note: I am curious if the author is also a fan, like myself, of the “Outlander” series since there was a certain Fraser's Ridge mentioned in your book (and some other similarities *wink).

The Whisper of Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like HoneyB's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the lovely review. Sounds like a nice book for lovers of the genre.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ute Carbone
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ute Carbone »

Thanks for the lovely review, Honey. In answer to your question--yes, I am a fan of Outlander. You caught me, I love putting little tributes in my books (not only to Outlander, some more personal). :)
HoneyB

Post by HoneyB »

Ute Carbone wrote:Thanks for the lovely review, Honey. In answer to your question--yes, I am a fan of Outlander. You caught me, I love putting little tributes in my books (not only to Outlander, some more personal). :)
It was my pleasure. I think your tributes to other authors is a fantastic way to incorporate little pieces you loved and were inspired by. :D

-- 16 Mar 2015, 14:44 --
gali wrote:Thank you for the lovely review. Sounds like a nice book for lovers of the genre.
You're welcome; thank you for the post.
~Alan Bennett
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

I enjoyed your review. It is very well written and peaked my interest for this book. I'll definitely be checking into purchasing it.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
HoneyB

Post by HoneyB »

Christinar81 wrote:I enjoyed your review. It is very well written and peaked my interest for this book. I'll definitely be checking into purchasing it.
Thanks Christinar81! I found this one harder to review without giving away what would amount to a spoiler, so I appreciate your comment. Ute Carbone has several published books to choose from, so I hope you check her out and find this and/or another to purchase.
~Alan Bennett

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”