Official Review: Winter in Sweetwater County

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Official Review: Winter in Sweetwater County

Post by Reading lady »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Winter in Sweetwater County" by Ciara Knight.]
Book Cover for 2104
Share This Review

The book Winter in Sweetwater County by Ciara Knight was an enjoyable book that I am rating 3 out of 4 stars/ I enjoyed the book from the start and quickly got involved in the story of Lisa who has left New York and her career there to move to Sweetwater County, Tennessee "Where your heart and home belong" as the sign on entering town says. She is pregnant and her fiancé has threatened her if she doesn't have an abortion, so she has decided to move to a quiet small town in the hopes of finding a nice couple to adopt her baby. At the moment of her arrival this is a fact she is keeping secret.

I found it strange though that she has made a decision to go into business with a lady and move to this town sight unseen. I understand that they have communicated at length via the internet but that is still a little risky in my opinion. You think they would have tried to meet and come to an agreement before making such a major move. But on arriving in town she finds Judy to be a loving motherly type who will make a great business partner and we like this character immediately. We also like her son, a man who is the best type for the hero of our book. He was an up and coming lawyer in NYC but left it all behind to come back home and practice law and be close to his mother now that his father has passed on. The son, Eric, though has his own sad story and needs to put it in the past. His mother is playing matchmaker for the two, who have both know sorrow and pain.

Both Lisa and Eric have there secrets and events seem to keep them from sharing the past with each other but the attraction is there and the romance builds. The town is inhabited by other delightful characters as well and we come to feel at home here and want to get to know them better, to settle in and make this our home.

There is some humour and a bit of suspense towards the end which keeps us reading to find out how it will all be resolved. There is also the introduction of other plot lines that we know will be carried along in the next book of the series. I am looking forward to continuing those stores in the next book which I fully intend to read.

As much as I enjoyed this book there were a few problems with it. First the point I already made that these ladies went into business together without meeting and also the way the end tied everything together so quickly and neatly without much happening after raising the suspense to such a level. More could have been done here. Also the timelines sometimes seemed a bit mixed up. I don't want to go into too much detail as I don't want to spoil the story but near the end with Eric's behaviour ( coming and going) things seemed to be mixed up a bit. Also part in the story where Eric and Lisa left for the celebration (after the opening of the store) leaving Judy behind to close up. They drove to his mother's house and talked in the car (emotions beginning to rise) and when they arrived Judy was there to greet them. How could this be? There were a couple of other small situations where the timeline didn't gel also. For someone like me who is aware of facts and timelines and such and subconsciously makes note of them, it makes it seem a little mixed up or unrealistic. There were times when I thought the storyline was rushed and other times when it was just right. I do believe the story line could have been fleshed out just a bit more.

All in all it was a light, enjoyable read if you like romance and I am looking forward to more books in this series.

Buy "Winter in Sweetwater County" on Amazon
Buy "Winter in Sweetwater County" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”