Fifty Shades of Grey

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kara_pifer
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kara-pifer.html

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post by kara_pifer »

Actually there sent large sections of it they literally last a page and a half and there's not that many sexual moments until the last book but I'm just saying what I did if you don't feel like its worth it then don't get them I jus recommended that people do read it the story line is amazing but again this about staying an opinion, take it or leave it.
Lalla

Post by Lalla »

I personally LOVED the series! Thought they were awesome, and couldnt put them down :D
But as everyone said before, everyone to their own !
karueter

Post by karueter »

I've read the trilogy and while the sex is fairly hot, the writing is pretty bad. The reference to Stephanie Meyers was pretty dead on. That being said, there is actually well written erotica out there. I would suggest "The Story of O" instead.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

karueter wrote:I've read the trilogy and while the sex is fairly hot, the writing is pretty bad. The reference to Stephanie Meyers was pretty dead on. That being said, there is actually well written erotica out there. I would suggest "The Story of O" instead.
Just started Story Of O after a friend from my personal book club basically threw it down my throat that if I didn't read it she was going to read it to me. Figured that might be awkward after reading what it was about. :lol:

I finished the fifty series and found it worse than I imagined. Maybe it was just me but I didn't see much BDSM in this 'bdsm based' book... Figured it would have had more promise to it as the books went. But nope. It got less attractive as the books went in my opinion. But whatever. Atleast it got people to read, I suppose.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
proudmom25
Favorite Book: Hard to say so... MANY
Currently Reading: The Gift by Cecilia Ahern
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proudmom25.html

Post by proudmom25 »

kara_pifer wrote:Actually there sent large sections of it they literally last a page and a half and there's not that many sexual moments until the last book but I'm just saying what I did if you don't feel like its worth it then don't get them I jus recommended that people do read it the story line is amazing but again this about staying an opinion, take it or leave it.
i ACTUALLY WASNT GOING TO READ this trilogy because of all the negative comments about it but my friend gave me the first one so i went ahead and started reading im about to now start on the last book!! Not what i thought i love it and i agree the story line is great!! If you can get over the sexual things it is really a great set of romance books to loose your self in !
~"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves".~
vsc_vet_tech
Favorite Author: I have a few.
Favorite Book: Hard to narrow to one
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsc-vet-tech.html
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
Reading Device: B005890FN0

Post by vsc_vet_tech »

I have read all three of these books. I enjoyed them, but there definitely was a lack of advanced writing... the plot was there, but could have been more developed. The one plot line that I did like throughout the series, was the progession of Christian Grey. It was a great Summer time read when you just want somthing to take the time on a nice relaxing vacation, without all the drama that life throws at us.
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
tcarter78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcarter78.html

Post by tcarter78 »

I've read the first book, i tended to skim over the sexual descriptions because I was more intrigued by the plot line of christians past...
proudmom25
Favorite Book: Hard to say so... MANY
Currently Reading: The Gift by Cecilia Ahern
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proudmom25.html

Post by proudmom25 »

tcarter78 wrote:I've read the first book, i tended to skim over the sexual descriptions because I was more intrigued by the plot line of christians past...
Yes i agree like i said to the negative comments was if you can get through those parts there's actually a good story
~"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves".~
Schaefy72

Post by Schaefy72 »

I am still trying to get through these books, but for the most part, I just do not like them. The most irritating part is the way they refer to each other by their proper names...Ms. Steele, Mr. Grey. But I bought the trilogy and I will finish it. Hope it gets better.
clintessential

Post by clintessential »

I've read the book and cannot recommend it. It is poorly written and not very believable(The main character's
description of her sexual interludes gives you the impression that she is not a participant, but an observer).
The author uses her limited psycho-sexual vocabulary redundantly and inappropriately. I think its been successful
commercially because the readership(mostly women) enjoys the lengths to which the main character goes to
satisfy her submissive impulses. They will probably never requite their own urges that way, but its fun to fantasize.
50 Shades of Grey is a guilty pleasure the author has very successfully exploited. As a contribution to literature,
it is without merit.
You can only be grounded if you're crazy. If you come to me and tell me you should be grounded because you're crazy, I won't ground you.
Why not: Because crazy people don't think they're crazy.
kelleys4girls

Post by kelleys4girls »

Poorly written and unrealistic. The characters are flat and repetitive. The sex is juvenile. The BDSM is laughable.

Read The Story of O by Pauline Reage/Anne Desclos instead.
serenity01

Post by serenity01 »

kelleys4girls wrote:Poorly written and unrealistic. The characters are flat and repetitive. The sex is juvenile. The BDSM is laughable.

Read The Story of O by Pauline Reage/Anne Desclos instead.

I have to agree, I only read a few chapters in the first book, that was enough for me.
twinkleshine
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinkleshine.html

Post by twinkleshine »

Sounds like a series to skip. Thanks, everyone!
Hellenic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hellenic.html

Post by Hellenic »

I have read all 3 of these books. I found the 2nd to be the most interesting but all 3 were repetitive. The conversations and scenes were pretty much the same all the way through, it could have been made into one book instead of being dragged out.
ShoppingMonk

Post by ShoppingMonk »

heard a little bite but not not sure about that

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”