Fifty Shades of Grey

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bloodswoman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post by bloodswoman »

I have no clue what it is about but I have heard the name everywhere. So when you find out can you please let me know
booklover1388
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover1388.html

Post by booklover1388 »

I have to disagree with a lot of people here. I have read the entire trilogy and loved them. I believe itiis a great trilogy thay opens your mind to a different way of life for someone else. It does happen in the real world and that's one thing I love about reading. Yes you have to be comfortable with erotica literature but it's definitely a good book for me.
carolsue

Post by carolsue »

I had to wait a long time between books because there was such a long waiting list on my library's e-book website. I really loved the trilogy. The love story between Christian and Ana was amazing. He was very broken, and she fixed him. The sex was what made the books sell like hotcakes because people were curious and that put $$$$ in this writers pocket. I wish there was a book 4.

I heard that Bared to You was a similar series, but it's not available on my library's website yet.
AliceRose
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Post by AliceRose »

I didn't like it. I read a chunk of the first book, and just didn't like it at all. Not the fact that it was erotic, the sex scenes and so on don't bother me. I just thought the writing wasn't very good - glorified fanfiction full of cliches. Every time I read the phrase "my inner goddess" I wanted to vomit.
carolsue

Post by carolsue »

Now, I took that stuff to emphasize how young and naive Ana was. I was just enjoying the story and didn't notice if the writing was good or bad. I guess that's why there's so many books out there....everyone has different likes and dislikes. I respect the opinions of those who didn't like the book and understand where they're coming from.
AliceRose
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Post by AliceRose »

I think I was put off by the fact that I knew it was originally written as Twilight fanfiction, so I couldn't really go into it with an open mind. I understand why people enjoy it, and I'm sure there are a lot of books that I like and others don't. I guess if we all liked the same things the world would be pretty boring :)
carolsue

Post by carolsue »

Yes it would! I never read the Twilight series so didn't know what to expect. I usually read mysteries, but read 50 Shades at the urging of a friend.
missg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missg.html
Latest Review: "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB

Post by missg »

Fifty Shades of Grey is an erotic book but it does have a pretty good story line,if you can get past the first book which is generally nothing but erotic sex the other two books are better. If this is not your particular read then maybe you should avoid this trilogy. However, it was not my usually read but I enjoyed The Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. I found it hard to put the book down because I wanted to find out what happened next.
Latest Review: "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB
Metaliana

Post by Metaliana »

By now I'm pretty sure many of you here have already read Fifty Shades of Grey. It didn't take me long to read the three books which sounded mysterious and amusing at first. Honestly the story is easy to read, though at times it gets boring because it's quite predictable. To me the first book was the best of the saga since it was vibrant and entertaining (mainly because I didn't know what it was really about at that moment) The second book was just more of the same sexually loaded romantic story and the third one was just simple, though cute. I would recommend them for a summer vacation and for girl talk. One thing I would like to highlight is that the descriptions made by the author are so realistic that you really end up portraying Christian Grey in your mind, which makes this erotic story also fun to read at night if you are looking forward to a pleasant dream. :twisted:
-pbf
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pbf.html

Post by -pbf »

It's not written very well, and I have many problems with the characters. That said, it's kind of like watching a train wreck; it's awful, but you can't look away.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

A.R.,

Thanks for the tip! " inner goddess " would not play well w/me either... :roll:
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
taniacperdomo11

Post by taniacperdomo11 »

i have to agree with each one of this post its all true trainwreck too much erotica and the good reviews also
lmmallia
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmmallia.html
Latest Review: "Stone of Destiny" by Mary L. Ball
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by lmmallia »

I've never been much for romance or erotica novels but I wanted to see what all the hype was about this series. I made the mistake of buying the entire series on my nook at once because Barnes and Noble had them on sale at the time; what a waste of $30! Yes, there are some pretty steamy scenes but the whole submissive/dominating relationship the two main characters had really turned me off and I found the storyline pretty boring and completely ridiculous.
Lucy
Favorite Author: Louis de Berniers
Favorite Book: The War of Don Emmanuels Nether Parts
Currently Reading: Hunted COMMA by Kevin Herne.
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy.html
Latest Review: "PUWULO" by BD Gray

Post by Lucy »

I read the trilogy some time ago. The sex is silly and repetitive, but what is really disturbing about the books is the relationship. For some reason (really EL James is a terrible writer and it is one of the injustices of the universe that she should have outsold Harry Potter) is the relationship. If you read between the sex, you see quite literally an abuser grooming his victim. Christian Grey is the archetype of an abusive and controlling personality, and frankly, I kept waiting for a cute but earnest FBI agent to pop up and rescue Ana from being buried in the back garden also with his 17 other lovers. What concerns me is the way women are conditioned - through this sort of reading material and elsewhere - to think of this sort of relationship as a romantic ideal. Fifty shades of downright creepy, if you ask me.
Latest Review: "PUWULO" by BD Gray
lmmallia
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmmallia.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by lmmallia »

Lucy wrote:I read the trilogy some time ago. The sex is silly and repetitive, but what is really disturbing about the books is the relationship. For some reason (really EL James is a terrible writer and it is one of the injustices of the universe that she should have outsold Harry Potter) is the relationship. If you read between the sex, you see quite literally an abuser grooming his victim. Christian Grey is the archetype of an abusive and controlling personality, and frankly, I kept waiting for a cute but earnest FBI agent to pop up and rescue Ana from being buried in the back garden also with his 17 other lovers. What concerns me is the way women are conditioned - through this sort of reading material and elsewhere - to think of this sort of relationship as a romantic ideal. Fifty shades of downright creepy, if you ask me.
Lucy, I completely agree. I love the 'Fifty shades of downright creepy', :lol: So true!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”