Fifty Shades of Grey

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lady3098bravo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post by lady3098bravo »

Fifty shades is about a man who introduces a woman to his world of sex such as him being her dominant
LadyStardust
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Shining
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by LadyStardust »

A "free sample" on the Kindle was all I needed. I couldn't even finish reading that. I have no problem with erotica or "controversial" subject matter, but the writing - eeeeek! Made me want to bang my head against a wall.
psychoken

Post by psychoken »

Weird that Fifty Shades has been getting lots of critical and bad reviews on amazon as the day goes by. Guess it just can't satisfy the lust of a lot others.
Bsouth2004

Post by Bsouth2004 »

I read all three books in one week. loved this series and will reread them again very soon :)
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

psychoken wrote:Weird that Fifty Shades has been getting lots of critical and bad reviews on amazon as the day goes by. Guess it just can't satisfy the lust of a lot others.
I don't think it has anything to do with satisfying anyone's lust. From everything I have heard they are very poorly written.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

It's pretty much a long piece of fanfic. It's alright but you can get very similar stories on Fan Fic Archives for free if you enjoyed it.
Hourglass
Favorite Author: Too many to choose
Favorite Book: I have many favorites
Currently Reading: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

Post by Hourglass »

I couldn't get through the preview on Amazon. I've read books with some pretty hot sex scenes, but 50 Shades I just couldn't get past the first few pages.
Carla Hurst-Chandler

Okay...taking one for the team, here...lol.

Long story short...Dane's mom dropped the trilogy off at my house on Sunday after she had read all three books. Yeah...I just rolled my eyes too. Going to actually read them and then give an informed review. Yeah...yeah...I know. I read Rushdie after the fatwa for much the same reason. ~sigh~ Stay tuned...lol.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Carla Hurst-Chandler wrote:Okay...taking one for the team, here...lol.

Long story short...Dane's mom dropped the trilogy off at my house on Sunday after she had read all three books. Yeah...I just rolled my eyes too. Going to actually read them and then give an informed review. Yeah...yeah...I know. I read Rushdie after the fatwa for much the same reason. ~sigh~ Stay tuned...lol.
Oh yea Carla, we believe you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
A24

Post by A24 »

Fran wrote:

Is it that mother-in-law guilt making you read them? :lol:
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
Carla Hurst-Chandler

LMAO!!!

No...Dane is a friend of my youngest son...Donna (his mom) has been extolling the trilogy since she got it (...from her MOM...@@) Just scratched the surface...but it seems that interwoven in the at times terribly immature writing and between the Holy _____ (pick a word) Nobody ever says that except BATMAN, hon...and pretty vanilla BDSM...and about 3/4 more repetitive (bordering on boring after a while) sex scenes...the actual story...could have been exceptional.

The story:

Grey, a child of a crack whore...three or four years old...beaten, burned and abused by her pimp...locked for days in the room with his dead mother...starving...

Adopted by wealthy family, where at 15, an older female family friend with serious issues enters his life.

The product of which is Mr. Grey. A 27 year old man who reflects that he is "...fifty shades of f--ked up..."
The building of a perfect beast.

The psychological story is thus far exceptional. The technical aspect of the writing. Not so much so. This is E L James first novel(s)...and Dom/Submissive twitter aside, have global recognition and a movie deal in the works. I imagine she is fairly happy about that.

Still reading.

-- 07 Mar 2013, 10:50 --
A24 wrote:
Fran wrote:

Is it that mother-in-law guilt making you read them? :lol:
My MIL died in 2007. Probably not.
lapalmer71

Post by lapalmer71 »

I read all three,and loved them. Wouldn't recommend for teens.
lorenadc_06
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenadc-06.html

Post by lorenadc_06 »

I personally enjoyed the 3 books very much. It was my first erotica book and I've read several others after this one.
I was completely absorbed by Christian Grey. How broken he was, how he tries to cope with all those feelings that he has never experienced before Anastasia Steele.
I find the book has a little of everything: its has drama, romance, BDSM and a lot of charm between the two main characters.
I would absoluteley recommend the books to anyone wanting to start reading erotica books
nakias3
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakias3.html
Latest Review: "The Fruit and Veggie ABC Book" by Mary Lee

Post by nakias3 »

I loved Fifty shades of Grey it was my first erotic book and ever since I have been madly hooked. Has any one read Bared to you by Sylvia Day? I have also read Reflected in you, and I passed a copy over to a friend of mine, her opinion is that Fifty was better. I personally believed that Bared to you was better written ( Sylvia day is a more seasoned author so ) but I loved both the same. Any one else have any idea I would like to stop this argument.
Latest Review: "The Fruit and Veggie ABC Book" by Mary Lee
rekha123

Post by rekha123 »

I loved it!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”