Fifty Shades of Grey

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post by khudecek »

I wasn't all that impressed with Grey. It was okay but it was a bit long and really didn't give us anything new. It did dig deeper into his abuse as a child but what I want to know is how Elena got him to be her submissive. How did she approach him on that? What made her think she could turn him around using violent sex? What, exactly, was he doing to deserve this kind of punishment? And if all doms and subs go their separate ways after so long, why are the two of them even friends, let alone business partners?

My biggest questions lie with Christian's relationship with her and they weren't answered.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
jellybean85
Currently Reading: It's Hard to Be a Vampire
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jellybean85.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by jellybean85 »

I started reading Fifty Shades of Grey earlier this year because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It was a good book and the movie was good too. I'm anxious to read the next two volumes, although I'm not sure if I'll read Grey due to the negative feedback.
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

I don't think I would let the negative feedback of Grey stop me from reading it. I read it and gave it three stars because of the length of it (over 600 pages, if my memory serves me right) and there was really nothing new in it. It wasn't a horrible read, though. It went into more detail about Christian's childhood, which was pretty sad but it missed the mark when it came to Elena. I think that's where the real story is. It was still worth reading, in my humble opinion.

~~
dbledeeas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbledeeas.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dbledeeas »

I read the books just to see what all the hype was about. I was very disappointed. I have not seen the movie either.
Bengemann527
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bengemann527.html

Post by Bengemann527 »

I really enjoyed all the books in this series. To me it wasn't so much about the sex and dominance, but about two people finding them selves and finding their significant other along the way
WillowAsh
Currently Reading: On a clear winter night
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willowash.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by WillowAsh »

I've read all three books. They have a lot of dom/sub parts in them. I personally didn't care for the first book but the second and third were a lot better. But I like books where the male character is "tortured" metaphorically some way.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

There is a lot of talk about how feminist hate this because the girl is so submissive but it is like so many erotica books out there that have to do with dominance and submissive sexual partners. I'd say if you have never tried this type of book out to start on this one because of all the feedback from others who have read it. It's fun to get so many opinions after reading a book and forming your own.

-- 27 Aug 2015, 21:50 --

I enjoyed these books. It was a great start to this topic for me and from this I followed on to read more dom and sub type of books.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

WillowAsh wrote:I've read all three books. They have a lot of dom/sub parts in them. I personally didn't care for the first book but the second and third were a lot better. But I like books where the male character is "tortured" metaphorically some way.
There are four books now. Grey came out a short while ago. It's pretty long and we don't find out anything earth-shattering but it does go deeper into Christian's childhood with his natural mother.

I think that's all fine and dandy and it made for a good story but I want to know how he got to where he was with Elena. That was barely touched on and I think there's a real story there.

~~
dnnussbaum1
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dnnussbaum1.html

Post by dnnussbaum1 »

I personally loved all the Fifty Shades books. Christian is so interesting to me and I think E.L. James created the ultimate fantasy when she wrote these books. I find it difficult to come across books that measure up now.
Pamessner
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamessner.html

Post by Pamessner »

I found the storyline dull. It was slow, and the conversations were very choppy. I think it only got popular was the erotica and fantasy of A rich man whisking a helpless women away while he straps her down and makes "passionate love". I believe if he wasn't rich, the story would turn into a man stalking a women who has a beating fetish.
minasee153

Post by minasee153 »

If you want to read Twilight as an erotic romance with BDSM thrown in, this is the book for you. If you are looking for something written much better and racier, suggest Joanna Wylde, Bella Jewel, Sylvia Day or Roxy Sloane. Those are books worth reading...
Raika Owens

Post by Raika Owens »

What you fail to grasp is the deeper meaning of the story. It's basically about a guy that grew up with a messed up childhood and found release in the form of BDSM. If you don't know what that is, look it up because I promise you, if you read this book you will run into it. It's also about a man trying to find his way in the world to please the woman he loves without giving too much of himself. I won't deny that there are some steamy scenes in the book but if you just get past that you can see that there is more to the book than kinky sex. Those who are bashing on it are just being prejudiced.
Maggies Mom

Post by Maggies Mom »

I read the first book mainly out of curiosity as to why everyone was talking about it. I could barely get through the first book, to be honest. The characters are interesting and were what kept me from returning the book early. There is a lot of sex in this and if that is embarrassing to you, this isn't the book to read. Personally, I don't like romance novels of any kind, so I think it played a big part in why I didn't want to read the rest of the series. If the above description doesn't deter you, then it will be a great mind escape book. You can read it fairly quickly and escape from the daily grind. One piece of advice I have is check it out from the library and save your money. Happy reading!
pratap_km
Currently Reading: London
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pratap-km.html

Post by pratap_km »

At some point of time I also wanted to read the book but could not find the opportunity. Now that they have made a movie out of it I kind of managed to see it. Well, there are nothing in it apart from sex. So finally I am happy for not wasted time and money on the book.
Maggies Mom

Post by Maggies Mom »

I'm sorry the movie ruined your chance at reading the book, pratap_km. I haven't seen the movie because of the book, so it's probably a safe bet that we shouldn't waste any more time...lol! Ironic!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”