Fifty Shades of Grey

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post by khudecek »

Brandi Nichcole wrote:All of my friends have read all the fifty shades books (we're mostly in our late teens early 20s) and they all loved them. But I knew it was about BDSM and I wasn't to interested in reading a book about someone hitting their partner and did a little research and everyone that participated in BDSM said the book was giving them a bad image and that the author got it all wrong so because I needed up doing research on the book first I decided not to read it . But like I said my friends all loved them and all went to see the movie and loved it too . So I would suggest just reading the books and then researching that way you can make your own assumptions , lol . I ruined it for myself so I can't converse with the other girls about it or the movie .
In all honesty, it didn't occur to me to research it. I just took it at face value.

I was mortified when I read the first book because I have to say being beat on while in the act is not one of my fantasies. I read the second because my sister talked me into it and the third, I read on my own.

There were two reasons why I read it in the first place. First, I have a friend who is an OB doctor and he told me all of these women were sitting in his waiting room and everybody was reading this book and he wanted to find out what the big deal was. That triggered my interest and my second reason for reading the series. I wanted to find out what the big deal was, too.

I got a heck of a lot more than I bargained for. I wasn't expecting that. But what was really appalling was seeing all the conversations on social media. I couldn't believe what some of these women were saying. One even said she'd divorce her husband for Christian Grey. I wanted to reach through the screen and pop her a good one and yell, "He doesn't exist! He's a character in a book!" Then all of the drama with picking out the actor who was to play Christian in the movie. Ian Somerhalder, Matt Bomer, a bunch of other guys. It got old quick and frankly, I thought the movie was kind of lame.

Now the wheel is spinning in the same direction for the Crossfire series. Who is going to play Gideon Cross? Thank goodness I've seen just one post on it but I'm sure there are more to come. :roll:

I did read the series again last fall after letting it sit for a good year or so and I was over the shock and awe and able to really get into the characters. I discovered that I found Ana annoying. She whispered a lot and I wondered if she really had a voice at all.

My opinion of Christian didn't change much. The guy is beyond a control freak and is diabolical by nature yet I felt bad for him. He did things that were totally unacceptable to me and I have a feeling most women would find it objectionable as well but it is fiction. I didn't love him but I certainly didn't hate him.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
erica_sammons
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erica-sammons.html

Post by erica_sammons »

When I first heard about this book, I was sure that there was no way that I would like it or ever read it. My sister is also an avid reader like myself and told me that I have to read it because I would love it! So I borrowed the first one from here and couldn't stop reading them. I never thought that I would ever like this book series, but I did. I think it is just a matter of personal preference. I personally like it for the story line, not so much the erotica part. I have started reading more books that are like Fifty Shades and have found that they do have better story lines.
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

erica_sammons wrote:When I first heard about this book, I was sure that there was no way that I would like it or ever read it. My sister is also an avid reader like myself and told me that I have to read it because I would love it! So I borrowed the first one from here and couldn't stop reading them. I never thought that I would ever like this book series, but I did. I think it is just a matter of personal preference. I personally like it for the story line, not so much the erotica part. I have started reading more books that are like Fifty Shades and have found that they do have better story lines.
But some are worse, too. I hated The Hacker series

~~
elainevanpelt75
Currently Reading: If I Stay
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elainevanpelt75.html

Post by elainevanpelt75 »

I read all three of them...The first one is boring until half way threw then it picks up and gets much better.. It is about a basically plain small town girl who hasn't been exposed to much in life.. She meets a rich man from the city whom on the other hand has been exposed to EVERYTHING.. He persuses her and leads her into a mutually consenting relationship that involves the many aspects of the BDSM world. It doesn't go into great sexual detail but does basically describe what roles that are played in a bdsm relationship , what is expected of each role and what sexual role play and bondage practices that are involved..hope that helps you some..
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

In my opinion, it's more of a love story than a romance. As a matter of fact, I didn't find any romance to it at all and I thought the BDSM scenes were a little too explicit at times but I'd never read anything like it before so, of course, I was shocked and horrified. But through it all, I always knew that Christian loved Ana the best way he knew how and she loved him despite his "twitchy palm".

~~
aileighcay
Currently Reading: Stiff the curious life of human cadavers
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by aileighcay »

I have read the entire trilogy, mostly because of all the buzz! In the end, I believe it is a very captivating series and I found myself getting attached to the characters and wondering the past of Christian Grey nearly as much as Anastasia! The sex scenes are a bit excessive and a little more detailed than preferred, but overall, it's a fun read! The books made me laugh out loud and even cry a time or two, I'm a sucker for romance stories. Although the writing could be stronger, I personally loved some of James' tactics. The reader is easily able to visualize the book, such as the romantic proposal in the boathouse or the seemingly gorgeous honeymoon to France. Another strong suit of the book would have to be the character development throughout the trilogy. The transformation of Mr. Grey could easily be referred to as remarkable in my opinion!
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

aileighcay wrote:I have read the entire trilogy, mostly because of all the buzz! In the end, I believe it is a very captivating series and I found myself getting attached to the characters and wondering the past of Christian Grey nearly as much as Anastasia! The sex scenes are a bit excessive and a little more detailed than preferred, but overall, it's a fun read! The books made me laugh out loud and even cry a time or two, I'm a sucker for romance stories. Although the writing could be stronger, I personally loved some of James' tactics. The reader is easily able to visualize the book, such as the romantic proposal in the boathouse or the seemingly gorgeous honeymoon to France. Another strong suit of the book would have to be the character development throughout the trilogy. The transformation of Mr. Grey could easily be referred to as remarkable in my opinion!
I totally agree with the characterization. I didn't discover it until I read it the second time, though. I read it the first time and was horrified by the stuff that was going on in the story even though book three really did close it up nicely. I waited over a year to read it the second time and by then the shock and awe was over and I was able to really dig into the characters.

Christian did change in a good way and it was hard to imagine him as a father and I think that scared him more than anything in the world ever could. But why did they name that poor kid Ted? I have nothing against the Teds of the world but man, that just did not fit.

~~
msmail12
Favorite Author: Allyson James
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmail12.html
Latest Review: "The Road to Round Mountain" by C.G. Roberts
fav_author_id: 8178

Post by msmail12 »

I, thankfully, never even tried to read it mainly because I had several fellow lit students summarize and complain about it for me, and basically it is bad erotica that just happened to catch the public eye. If you really want a good look at the genre done well or maybe just some extra racy romance, since I think some of these authors try to walk the line so to speak, Lorelei James, Allyson James, Sarah McCarty, and Lolita Lopez are all great place to start and you can easily find more from there if it is your thing.
Latest Review: "The Road to Round Mountain" by C.G. Roberts
KatieDavis25
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiedavis25.html

Post by KatieDavis25 »

I have read all 3 of the books and found them interesting probably partially because it is very different from any of the books i had previously read. Some parts were very boring especially at the beginning however it did become more interesting and had some VERY detailed parts. The idea of BDSM is not something I have ever really heard of previously nor would i ever be interested in it personally but reading about it in the book and how their relationship changed over time as he clearly really cared for her in his own way was very interesting to me.
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

KatieDavis25 wrote:I have read all 3 of the books and found them interesting probably partially because it is very different from any of the books i had previously read. Some parts were very boring especially at the beginning however it did become more interesting and had some VERY detailed parts. The idea of BDSM is not something I have ever really heard of previously nor would i ever be interested in it personally but reading about it in the book and how their relationship changed over time as he clearly really cared for her in his own way was very interesting to me.
The BDSM thing was an eye-opener for me, too and what blew my mind about all of the hype were these women wanting to get with Christian Grey. It's fine for some but not for me. Then they had some t-shirts made up for pregnant women that said something like, "Fifty Shades Baby" or something like that. It totally blew my mind. I didn't care for the BDSM in this book although it was an integral part of Christian and even if I had, I sure wouldn't advertise it. Geeze. Have a little class, you know.

And the one thing that really made me do back flips was a woman who'd said on social media that she would leave her husband for Christian Grey. SERIOUSLY? He's a character in a book. He doesn't exist! How desperate are you? I had a million comebacks but didn't say anything. And just for the record, I did see an interview with E.L. James and when the person interviewing her asked if there was somebody she knew in real life like Christian Grey, she didn't answer. Take that for what it's worth but I think we can all agree that there's always some truth in fiction.

~~
KiraMa
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirama.html

Post by KiraMa »

I haven't finished all three books just yet, but so far I can say it's really good. There is a lot of negative talk about this book series but those are just peoples opinions, you have to see for yourself to understand the beauty in the book. I think it''s also very well written and I never had any moments of discomfort reading it.
Siobhan151
Currently Reading: Feel The Heat Box-Set
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siobhan151.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Siobhan151 »

It's really more about child psychology, regarding the effects of abuse and the results into adulthood than anything else. But yes it is an erotic romance. It can be considered hardcore, but only because it has S&M in it. I am not a huge S&M fan, but I really enjoyed the series.
jolynnblack08
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolynnblack08.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by jolynnblack08 »

I have tried several times to read these books but I can't get past the third chapter of the first book.
rdelonge
Currently Reading: The Hurricane Sisters
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rdelonge.html

Post by rdelonge »

I have read the books in this series. I would be lying if I said I didn't skip through some parts. There was a lot of repetition. I only read these books due to the popularity. Honestly, bad writing and mother issues don't mix.
cndreli35

Post by cndreli35 »

Hello! I enjoyed this series-even if it was a bit blah. There really wasn't a decent storyline until the second book. However,I did not see what all the hype was about as far as erotica. An overall ok series though.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”