Fifty Shades of Grey

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post by khudecek »

The book was far better than the movie. I don't know that I really liked the movie to be honest. I don't know that Jamie Dornan was the right guy to play Christian Grey but he pulled it off.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

Hmmm. Food for thought. I haven't read these books because I'm easily embarrassed by stuff like that. There are some great viewpoints stated here and I'm almost tempted to read the book just so I can see for myself.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

:text-yeahthat: Well, you can't just skimp on the intimate scenes or the whole book is out (haha). Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan, and I thought the movie was tamed for the most part (and humorous). If you decide to give it a try - don't read it in public or I'd guess your face will totally give you away. :oops:
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
rds0821
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rds0821.html

Post by rds0821 »

Fifty Shades of Grey is about a lot of things. There is a lot of sex in the book. A lot of the sex is very hardcore because the male lead is seriously into BDSM, but the story is also about falling in love. It is about overcoming Christians issues and learning to love. There have been alot of negative comments made about this book because of the "violence". The violence is in a controlled setting between two consenting adults that are experiencing a dominant/submissive relationship together. The book should be read with an open mind and should not be read by anyone that is offended by BDSM and hardcore sex.
Dkv5681
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dkv5681.html

Post by Dkv5681 »

If I ever read the phrase, "Oh my..." one more time I may vomit. This book isn't even about BDSM at all, it's just a love story about a guy who fancies himself as a Dom, but just really has control and mommy issues. It's too cheesy to give it anymore review word vomit.
lee_yoong_shin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lee_yoong_shin »

rds0821 wrote:Fifty Shades of Grey is about a lot of things. There is a lot of sex in the book. A lot of the sex is very hardcore because the male lead is seriously into BDSM, but the story is also about falling in love. It is about overcoming Christians issues and learning to love. There have been alot of negative comments made about this book because of the "violence". The violence is in a controlled setting between two consenting adults that are experiencing a dominant/submissive relationship together. The book should be read with an open mind and should not be read by anyone that is offended by BDSM and hardcore sex.
I agree with you. Another thought I had was that it is also a story about a girl who had developed Stockholm Syndrome.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

It's nice to hear from those of you who have actually seen the movie/ read the book. I am so relieved that the actors/actresses chosen to star in this film delivered A+ performances. I hope to see it soon, it looks like I may enjoy it as well. It had rave reviews at the Oscars!
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
Rachel_19

Post by Rachel_19 »

I absolutely loved Fifty Shades of Grey! The book is about two totally different people from different backgrounds that meet and find an instant attraction towards each other. Ana is a awkward but pretty virgin (imagine Bella from twilight at 21 years old) and Christian is a very experienced, domineering, gorgeous control freak.
sarah92480
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah92480.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4193

Post by sarah92480 »

I read all the books a few years ago. While I found them entertaining, they were hardly literary masterpieces. The 2nd book was the one I liked best; the 3rd was garbage. To me, it felt like....the author was contracted to write 3 books but ran out of material and ideas after 2. I saw the movie as well the other day, and I was also impressed. My expectations were much lower and I did actually enjoy it. The characters had really good chemistry together. :)
bluejay__way
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Austere Academy
Currently Reading: The Green Mile
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluejay-way.html
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by bluejay__way »

I myself have only heard excerpts and listened to the opinions of those who've already read it, or tried to, and they all came to the same conclusion- horrible! With the few excerpts I personally heard, I noted how poorly written and thought out the novel was. I'm pretty sure the woman just sped through writing it and never even thought to give it a second glance believing it was perfection. I'm appalled at the fact that it's garnered so much attention when other books have gone surpassed by the mainstream eye, other books much better written than that trilogy. It's a shame really.
Not to mention, the novel does revolve around this BDSM romance between an intern and billionaire recluse, but it exhibits many signs of domestic abuse. Christian, the recluse, doesn't acknowledge the fundamental rules of BDSM and does with Anastasia, the intern, as he pleases. He follows her, cuts her off from her social circles, torments her, and, when she's on the brink of leaving, begs for her to come back- though he's an unchanged man. All of these elements would've been alright had they not been romanticized. Had they been exhibitions of domestic abuse in order to serve a grander purpose, like bringing abuse concerns to the BDSM community for example, then it would've been worth more, but because it doesn't, because it's glamorized abuse, it is utter trash.
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html

Post by khudecek »

bluejay__way wrote:I myself have only heard excerpts and listened to the opinions of those who've already read it, or tried to, and they all came to the same conclusion- horrible! With the few excerpts I personally heard, I noted how poorly written and thought out the novel was. I'm pretty sure the woman just sped through writing it and never even thought to give it a second glance believing it was perfection. I'm appalled at the fact that it's garnered so much attention when other books have gone surpassed by the mainstream eye, other books much better written than that trilogy. It's a shame really.
Not to mention, the novel does revolve around this BDSM romance between an intern and billionaire recluse, but it exhibits many signs of domestic abuse. Christian, the recluse, doesn't acknowledge the fundamental rules of BDSM and does with Anastasia, the intern, as he pleases. He follows her, cuts her off from her social circles, torments her, and, when she's on the brink of leaving, begs for her to come back- though he's an unchanged man. All of these elements would've been alright had they not been romanticized. Had they been exhibitions of domestic abuse in order to serve a grander purpose, like bringing abuse concerns to the BDSM community for example, then it would've been worth more, but because it doesn't, because it's glamorized abuse, it is utter trash.
I humbly disagree.

I think a lot of people blew this way out of proportion and made it out to be a lot more than it was. Yes, there's some graphic things going on. No doubt about that and at first, it's shocking and I didn't like it. But I was prodded to read the second novel and then I read the third on my own.

You really should read it for yourself and not go off the opinions of others. The first book is really rough but the second one toned down a bit and the third actually had a story to it. Give it a shot and see what you think. :)
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
RobC
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robc.html

Post by RobC »

Fifty Shades of Grey is what the French call a "success de scandale" It is also not well written. I was in a hospital waiting room not long ago. They had some shelves of second hand books there which you can buy. One of them was Fifty Shades of Grey --for only 20 pence! (I am in the UK) I flipped through it, then put it down. Had another look, and put it down again. Not my style.
AMY85

Post by AMY85 »

I don't see what the fuss is all about. And to think it is going to become a movie soon. When I read the book it wasn't fifty shades of Grey but a story about Bella and Edward from twilight (I totally forgot the title). And can you imagine what the comparison between the twilight saga and this story could be. I kept getting angry at the author for taking a good story and butchering it. Well I don't think I can read the new fifty shades of Grey after ruining one of my favorite story.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I picked the book up at the library without doing too much research a couple of years ago. After I turned it around and saw that it was considered erotica I had my first clue that this was not a book for me. I told myself not to be a prude. I had read lady chatterley's lover by D.H. Lawrence and it was not racy. I know it was banned in polite society and considered ofensive for the time. With that in mind, I thought ok lets see what the fuss is about. I got about 12 pages in and had to put it down. The writting was horrible. I can read anything if the writing is good. But I cannot suffer through repetitive overy discriptive slow writting. Also S&M is not really my thing. Outlander really proved a book can be steamy without being gross and exploitive.
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Lovetoread2015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovetoread2015.html

Post by Lovetoread2015 »

It has a lot of sex in it. I read all three, they are good if you don't mind that kind of book. I will read anything and it takes a lot to offend me so I was ok with it.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”