Fifty Shades of Grey

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookworm_Heather02
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post by bookworm_Heather02 »

I don't typically read a lot of romance, but I bought the set out of curiosity. The first book was pretty steamy, but I think what nobody is talking about is how funny it is. There were actually parts that made me giggle out loud while I was reading. The humor and sweetness of the book was way overshadowed by all the sex. By the second and third book most of raunchiness was repetitive and getting boring and I'd find myself pretty much skipping over those scenes to get back to the story. The second time I read the series it wasn't as good.
jmcclai-4

Post by jmcclai-4 »

I stopped reading this book several times before I actually finished it. Some parts of the book were a little confusing. I would get frustrated and stop because it seemed as if the author would go on and on. I finally finished the book because I wanted to see what all the hype was about. To me the book was full of sex......thumbs down for me.
Purely_Poetic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purely-poetic.html

Post by Purely_Poetic »

I read the whole series in about five days. I liked it but I have to agree with many of the posts on here: the storyline was good but sometimes overshadowed by the crazy amount of sex in there. I found myself skipping over a large part of the steamy scenes because it did become quite redundant and drawn out.
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

I refuse to read it, one of my friends read it and said it was abusive, disgusting and incestuous. My tumblr dash always goes on about how it insults the BDSM community, that the author didn't try to even research it. I also heard it's a rip off twilight anyway
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
yogitranscend
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yogitranscend.html

Post by yogitranscend »

I have mixed feeling about reading this book but I might end up getting a cheap used copy to see what all the hoopla is about! I know it is actually fan-fiction for Twilight so it's not a nicely, well written, work of art or anything, but maybe an easy read over wine at night. I think I will need a hefty glass to even START reading this "novel" Wish me luck....I'm going to brave it soon!
TGarbett72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgarbett72.html

Post by TGarbett72 »

Honestly I found it to be an entertaining read. Don't usually read this type of book but found all 3 books in the series to be quick reads and worth it. I've read other books similar to it and find I would re read this series before another. Give it a try! :)
amscms08
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amscms08.html

Post by amscms08 »

My sister in law was the one that really pushed me to read Fifty Shades. The book was okay but repetitive. The writer really needs to work on her style. The only reason I kept reading is because certain parts kept my attention. ha ha ha
yogitranscend
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yogitranscend.html

Post by yogitranscend »

andybellum wrote:I know a member of The Book Club who gave it a luke warm review, but said it
had potential(to be used as kindling well before the newspaper adorning the bottom
of a bird cage does). Mrs. Member: Come forth and ye shall be heard.
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS NO SPOILERS. I thought it was just awful. Nothing rang true. I'm not a practioner, but I've heard women
(with doctorates in Psychology and a working knowledge of BDSM) debate it's worth as a guide or an entertainment option. It was given low marks as either one.
I visualized the author as an underfunded graduate student moonlighting as an operator at a call-in website(A 900 number). Her three hour shift is called "I'm Schizophrenic. Just Ask Me." The author decides to write the book(Fitty Shades) based on her ability to flim flim her audience with a psychoanalytical vocabulary culled from such august publications as a 1. thesaurus of BIGWORDS,2. The Yellow Pages; if she doesn't know what a BIGWORD means, someone advertising in TYP will. 3. Her college textbooks. Which she has neither paid for nor read. Pretty dismal bona fides, eh?
My sad attempt at humor aside, I'm surprised how well the scam has worked; 12 million copies ain't just hay. My original draft of this homage to the cliche' was a
much kinder treatment of writer and written. In fact, it was replete with pollyanna
and sophistry. Like the book I was supposed to review. Where'd it go?
Great review! Astonishing! I agree, she actually had written these novels as a Twilight Fanfiction (another piece of work that is horribly written). I look at these kinds of books as an "intro to reading" until you discover better books. Alas, BOTH scams worked! Women everywhere are left swoon over poorly done domination of non-existent male character. >_<
andybellum

Post by andybellum »

No, Madame. It is YOU who are Astonishing! I could look at that hat all day. I was amazed by responses to it among my female acquaintances. This might be the "only
review you'll have to read! It will tear at your cuticles! Imprison your integumentaries!
Throttle your throat! Quake your quads! Hamstring your hams!" (I moonlight for my
brother-in-law. An up and coming chiropractor. That is way too much inspiration for the broads he deals with. They've all got names only Joan Rivers jeweler could keep up with. Tiffany, Sapphire, Moil? How'd he get in here. Says he wants his VIG by five. If he
doesn't get it YOU"LL need a chirodoctor. Im only the messenger. I keep telling you, don't use your business as a credit card, Dale. MOM!!
RDBrightness

Post by RDBrightness »

I tried reading the first one...who doesn't love sex, but I didn't think it was a good story and certainly wasn't well written, IMO, of course.

-- 02 Oct 2014, 22:05 --

I tried reading the first one...who doesn't love sex, but I didn't think it was a good story and certainly wasn't well written, IMO, of course.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Whatcha drinking " AndYbellum?" AKA limerickey, Nate( sumpin )...... can't keep track of your many screen names!...GET LOST PERV!
Pretty powerful drugs you're on to keep returning after the moderators BAN YOU :roll: ....
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

suzy1124 wrote:Whatcha drinking " AndYbellum?" AKA limerickey, Nate( sumpin )...... can't keep track of your many screen names!...GET LOST PERV!
Pretty powerful drugs you're on to keep returning after the moderators BAN YOU :roll: ....
Thanks for the heads up... :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

You're very welcome...silly moi, I have a bias against "PERVS " who send out NAKED pics to unsuspecting members of our wonderful book club here...

Why in the world would anyone want to see a " members member ? "...( sorry for the bad joke ) had to add a little " levity " here...)

Thank God I keep my e-mail PRIVATE, so I was never the recipient of his FILTH...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

suzy1124 wrote:Your very welcome...silly moi, I have a bias against "PERVS " who send out NAKED pics to unsuspecting members of our wonderful book club here...

Why in the world would anyone want to see a " members member ? "...( sorry for the bad joke ) had to add a little " levity " here...)

Thank God I keep my e-mail PRIVATE, so I was never the recipient of his FILTH...
He did that?? :shock:

I agree.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

YUP!, I was trying to be " nice ", so I never mentioned it in my previous complaints, but now, " no more Mr. nice guy ", he doesn't deserve it!...

This must be at least the 6th time that he's managed to re-enter after being BANNED :twisted:

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”