Fifty Shades of Grey

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eve6
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eve6.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post by Eve6 »

Fifty Shades Of Grey is a good book that's loaded with BDSM sex, when I first read the book it made me blush at all of the sex scenes because they were so descriptive and hot. I'm not into whips and chains but after reading this I might be willing to give it a go. :)
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

klbradley wrote:I have read the whole series a few times, and am a little conflicted on if I actually like it or not. It seems like the first time I read it, I thought it was possible the best thing ever. But after the second, and then third, I feel like there are other stories that have since emerged that I enjoyed much more. (i.e Crossfire)
I really liked the series, but I've only read it once. Sounds like I'll have to check out Crossfire - thanks for the recommendation!
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

braver wrote:
klbradley wrote:I have read the whole series a few times, and am a little conflicted on if I actually like it or not. It seems like the first time I read it, I thought it was possible the best thing ever. But after the second, and then third, I feel like there are other stories that have since emerged that I enjoyed much more. (i.e Crossfire)
I really liked the series, but I've only read it once. Sounds like I'll have to check out Crossfire - thanks for the recommendation!

You will not be disappointed with that one!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Sallari87
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Currently Reading: City of Fallen Angels
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sallari87.html
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by Sallari87 »

I was hesitant about reading these at first but really enjoyed them. I have reread them multiple times. The love Story between Anna and Christian is more to my liking then the erotic parts of the book. I will probably proceed to read them again. I ike that they made movies out of them. Helps bring out more of the romantic side. I like putting Faces to the names of the books i read too.
TamSan
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamsan.html

Post by TamSan »

Honestly, i thought it was crap. After the first book, the sex scenes got really annoying. It felt like every chapter they doing something sexual. i found myself skipping a lot of it just to get to the main plot. Even the plot wasn't that great. But i like to finish what i start, so i had to find out the ending. Don't waste your time.
Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. -Max Ehermann
Lulu_Bear1243
Favorite Book: Frankenstein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lulu-bear1243.html
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by Lulu_Bear1243 »

First off, all of the sex is consensual. Anastasia signs a heavily detailed contract about all the stuff she is and isn't okay with. It's been a while since I read the trilogy, but from what I remember the writing isn't horrible. The author is no F. Scott Fitzgerald, but at least her writing is decent enough to stay entertaining and consistent. Christian and Anastasia both have their own struggles that they have to go through, and they realize they need each other to overcome them. It's about a young man who, because of dark childhood traumas, uses kinky sex as an emotional outlet in order to avoid dealing with said trauma, and is taught by his lover to face his inner demons because she forces a genuine emotional bond between them. She often refuses to put up with his BS (especially in the last two books) and actually has more power over Christian than he does over her. Granted he does have a temper, but he isn't abusive. They fight, like people do, but she is never in any way portrayed a victim. And the "punishments" only happen in the first book (which she agrees to!) because they develop a real loving relationship. In a nutshell, Anastasia deserves way more credit than critics give her and Christian isn't a monster, he just really hates himself. *Also, do not judge the story by its movie. The movie is actually quite horrible and leaves out so many vital scenes that explain the characterization.* And one more thing, it is STILL A BETTER LOVE STORY THAN TWILIGHT
bellesmom
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellesmom.html

Post by bellesmom »

I've read the books a couple times. Yes, it is very erotic and just what some readers prefer. I enjoyed it but felt like Grey was a trainwreck that you just couldn't look away from and if I ever met a man like Christian Grey in real life, I would run far away from him.
Sachinkr88
Currently Reading: The Triple Challenge
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sachinkr88.html

Post by Sachinkr88 »

Great work , nice review.
kaitlynf9002

Post by kaitlynf9002 »

I think the book was good but after a while it became long and drawn out. I did enjoy it though, I just found myself skipping to the dialogue. Overall, it was good though. Great read!
mommyreadsbooks
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyreadsbooks.html
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mommyreadsbooks »

I read the books back around the time that they first came out. I liked them, but there were just some things that made me want to vomit. Hello, he took her tampon out of her body. Gag. Anyways, I hated the movie. Not to say they are bad actors, they aren't, I just didn't feel the chemistry because Dorian and Dakota. And there was one thing that kind of put me off from the movie. The first scene were he is getting ready to "deflower" her so to speak and he is getting her dressed, he pulls her pants off and her legs are so hairy. I don't know why is bothered me haha I mean I am a woman and I surely do not shave everyday but I just thought they would have shaved or waxed her...I don't know, maybe it was just me.
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
shar_mane
Currently Reading: Isolation
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shar-mane.html

Post by shar_mane »

I have read the whole Grey series. The lead male character is dark in his own way. And the girl arrives in his life and makes a dozen changes. The story is about sex between a submissive and dominant. The story revolves around the male lead how he was submissive to one lady and how it affects his life. Even romance, rich surprises are also included. The series have a happy ending. And one more thing I m in love with the male character, he is intimidating and sexy.
Cindyh
Currently Reading: Sex, Lies & Nikolai
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindyh.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Cindyh »

I have to say that FSOG was THE book that brought me into the world of Romance/Erotica reading! Since FSOG I have read hundreds of these kinds of books and I cannot get enough!
AK413
Currently Reading: Circling the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak413.html

Post by AK413 »

The story line wasn't bad, but I wasn't a huge fan of the writing style. It was a little too easy and quick , but that being said she did a good job developing the characters. I felt invested and wanted to know what happened next, so that is a big plus of the books.
Krutarth Parmar

Post by Krutarth Parmar »

I have started reading it so can tell later abt it...let see what happens next.
Ann2305
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann2305.html

Post by Ann2305 »

I was very apprehensive when I started reading it and put it down a few times before really getting into it. I enjoyed the story behind it and how he became the person that he ultimately ended up being, but it is not for the feint-hearted. The writing is not fantastic, but it is worth a read

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”