Official Review: The Four Powers by J. A. Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tawfiqalqeisi
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tawfiqalqeisi.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Re: Official Review: The Four Powers by J. A. Cummings

Post by Tawfiqalqeisi »

This review is great :D I really enjoyed the way you explained and summarized the novel. Now I also want to read this book. Keep up the good work (y)
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Youngish-Adult
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngish-adult.html

Post by Youngish-Adult »

Sounds like a wonderful book! Fantasy world, dragons, a bard...right up my alley! Great review :)
The Ellipsis Writer
Currently Reading: Guru Granth Sahib
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ellipsis-writer.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Ellipsis Writer »

The Four Powers really sounds like a good old fashioned fantasy novel. Just by your descriptions alone I was interested in reading it. It seems charming and gripping with some really nice magical elements that keep this genre alive.

Based on what you said, this book seems to be set in it's own world, or at least a world where magic exists. So I must ask, as with any good fantasy book, does this novel do well to world-build? Is the world the story is set in given much detail in terms of geography and/or history? Given that the four elements described are found everywhere, I would assume that the towers are somewhat distant from each other, giving the perfect chance to world-build the lands in between.

Also, how does the story do to offer a nice history to the world and the events that take place within it? Is it simple or more complex and well described? I always find it a wonderful treat when authors go into a bit more detail about the history of their stories and the worlds, characters, and events within them. How would you say the author did to explain the world of the Four Powers as well as the history of them?

Awesome review by the way. I'm glad to know a story that sounds so interesting to me conveyed well to others.

:tiphat:
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

The Ellipsis Writer wrote:The Four Powers really sounds like a good old fashioned fantasy novel. Just by your descriptions alone I was interested in reading it. It seems charming and gripping with some really nice magical elements that keep this genre alive.

Based on what you said, this book seems to be set in it's own world, or at least a world where magic exists. So I must ask, as with any good fantasy book, does this novel do well to world-build? Is the world the story is set in given much detail in terms of geography and/or history? Given that the four elements described are found everywhere, I would assume that the towers are somewhat distant from each other, giving the perfect chance to world-build the lands in between.

Also, how does the story do to offer a nice history to the world and the events that take place within it? Is it simple or more complex and well described? I always find it a wonderful treat when authors go into a bit more detail about the history of their stories and the worlds, characters, and events within them. How would you say the author did to explain the world of the Four Powers as well as the history of them?

Awesome review by the way. I'm glad to know a story that sounds so interesting to me conveyed well to others.

:tiphat:

Hey, I had to give this one some thought. In looking back on the book that is one thing that was lacking a bit. I really used my imagination off of what the reader provided to enhance the setting. It moves quickly so there was lacking in detail but would be even more amazing I believe with the extra detail. Some history of the world was also provided but not in great detail.
Madison Degraffenreid
The Ellipsis Writer
Currently Reading: Guru Granth Sahib
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ellipsis-writer.html

Post by The Ellipsis Writer »

[/quote]Hey, I had to give this one some thought. In looking back on the book that is one thing that was lacking a bit. I really used my imagination off of what the reader provided to enhance the setting. It moves quickly so there was lacking in detail but would be even more amazing I believe with the extra detail. Some history of the world was also provided but not in great detail.[/quote]

I see. Either way, sometimes it can be nice to let the reader imagine some stuff on their own, at least so long as there is not too much meat missing from what is really important to the story.

Thanks for the information!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Intriguing premise! I like books about dragons, and this book sounds nice. I am glad that you enjoyed the book and that it kept you interested. Great job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Mallison
Currently Reading: Pretty Happy
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallison.html

Post by Mallison »

Thank you for a great review! When I picked up The Four Powers by J. A. Cummins I was very pleasantly surprised. The first thing that struck me was Cummings ability to paint a mental picture of the lands and people. Also, I agree this book was hard to put down.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Another thing I like about this novel is how the author would have occasional breaks where Pedar would explain several of the different races or gods mentioned in detail.
This sounds like a very enjoyable read! Thanks for the great review.
Leese
Currently Reading: The Lafayette Campaign
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leese.html
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Leese »

I'm not a big fan of fantasy or sci fi, but this sounds like a good story for those who are into those genres! Pedar sounds like an interesting character that the author does a great job of telling the story from. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a detailed review!
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Excellent review of the book. It helped me to decide to purchase the book.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you so much for your review! It was helpful. Sounds like a really great book! I have added it to my WTR list. Congrats to the author on the awesome review and on being chosen for #BOTD!
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Congrats on the informative review. Will try it out to play with the dragons!
chrisann2780
Favorite Author: Colleen Coble
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrisann2780.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 5369

Post by chrisann2780 »

This book has a very interesting beginning. I cettanly wanted to read on. The review was very clear and summed up the story well. Fantasy book readers will love this one. Congrats to the author on having BOTD.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I'm a huge fan of science fiction and fantasy and this book sounds like it has it all. I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This sounds like a fresh take on the magic vs. humans - big quest - save the world idea. Congrats on BOTD!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”