Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Re: Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

Post by csimmons032 »

I would consider Nicholas Sparks to be one of my favorite authors. There has been a couple of times where I was disappointed with one or two of his books. It doesn't happen very often though. Most of the time I love his books. For example, I was a little disappointed with The Best of Me. That really wasn't one of my favorite books out of his. I can't really think of any other authors at the moment. There is one series that I read a lot called the Love Finds You series, where I was disappointed with one of the books. It didn't even compare to the others.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
theredhairedcrow
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12069">The Transformer Trilogy</a>
Currently Reading: Tracker (Foreigner)
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by theredhairedcrow »

I really enjoyed Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's "Pendergast" series, and the earlier books were really amazing. I couldn't get through two of the last few, however, as I felt the quality and depth just wasn't there and the main character had strangely changed, and overall I felt them more cliquíc. I didn't buy the last one at all. Every few years I reread the earlier ones and they are still great page-turners.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I was disappointed, oh yes, by Michelle Hodkin, author of the Mara Dyer trilogy. I just :romance-heartbeating: the first two books in the trio. I eagerly awaited the third and final book, and I bought it in hardcover the moment it was available. (I prefer paperback, but didn't want to wait!) OMG, I hated it! The first fifty pages were filled with the complete and incomprehensible degeneration of Mara Dyer's character. She became egregiously violent, and even if you could blame that on circumstance (trying to escape her captors), she also started dropping the F-bomb in every paragraph. I got so confused and didn't think she was even the same (fictional) person.

To give some background, there was a long wait for the third book. It popped up on amazon for preorder once or twice and then disappeared, with the release date moving back ultimately two years or so past what it was set at initially. I was seriously wondering at that time if the author was out of stories and struggling in vain to create a third book that wasn't really inside of her.

On the one hand I felt sorry for her, but on the other hand, this was a suspenseful, intriguing series and it baffled me that she jumped into writing it without knowing where it would end. Weird.

All the same, my hardcover turned out to be signed, so I sent it to a blogging friend who can enjoy it more than I'd be able to!
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

Danielle Steel is one of my favorite authors and was the first author I read seriously when I began reading a lot. I don't think I have ever been disappointed by anything she has written per se, but there may have been a couple that didn't keep me interested as well as most of her books do. She is an awesome author and I enjoy her books a great deal.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Sadly yes. I love Ted Dekker and his books, but there was one that just wasn't up to the standard I feel he set with his other titles. The Priest's Graveyard just fell short of the quality of story I was used to getting from him. It was actually quite sad and disappointing when I finished the book. I felt letdown. Oh well. At least I have quite a few other great ones of his to read and re-read still. That's a plus! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I remember when I was in elementary school I was in love with the Magic Treehouse books. After reading all the ones at my school's library I sent a letter to the authoress, begging her to write more books for the series. I wasn't expecting a response back, but when I got one I was so happy! Until I realized that it was only a way for her to advertise her next book, which she wanted me to preorder (or something like that, which made me think she just sent me the letter for my money.)
So even though I wrote to her hoping for another book and actually got my wish granted, I was still disappointed.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Yes, I took J. K. Rowling out for dinner and a movie, and she didn't even give me a goodnight kiss.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
ola dark
Favorite Author: Joe Abercrombie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6904">The Blade Itself (The First Law # 1)</a>
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-dark.html
fav_author_id: 3904

Post by ola dark »

my favorite author is Joe Abercrombie , his novels are full of dark , evil , psychological , crushing fantasy
it's epic , he doesn't write about heroes he writes about traitors, fools, and good people in evil societies and how that change them
the last series he is writing is Shattered Sea , and it's YA novel , and it's happy ended , light hearted fantasy , WHY?????
I want my darkness back
(the story is good and all but not as the ones before)
LittleQwerty-AZ
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LittleQwerty-AZ »

StephenKingman wrote: some of his books have disappointed me .
I know what you mean! I cannot say that he has disappointed me often, but I just finished Revival and wish I had never cracked the binding to open it. Started good... had a good plot... got me interested and wanting to find out the end. The end made me smack myself in the face and question what the hell he was thinking. :shock: :roll: :doh:

-- 20 Aug 2015, 22:57 --
Daffodil wrote:I agree that Stephen King lost the magic quite some time back. I think I struggled through Insomnia and didn't pick up another. My mum is a diehard SK fan so she still ploughs through as they get released but she never raves about what she has read. I read a lot of his stuff when I was younger so I guess perhaps I have grown out of it. I did enjoy Tommyknockers however but I may have been in my early 20's at the time. One of his stories that stayed with me was under his pseudonym Richard Bachman (?) a short storey 'Runners' or 'The Runners'. Loved it. I wouldn't pick up another SK book unless someone raved about it.
I think you are talking about "The Long Walk" where a bunch of teens/children compete to see the last one standing in exchange for getting everything they ever dreamed about. To me, I think it was the story that inspired "The Hunger Games". Good short by S.K.
ThackerayLover
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thackeraylover.html

Post by ThackerayLover »

I was disappointed by Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone, because everyone told me I'd love that author.
CynthiaG0199
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthiag0199.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by CynthiaG0199 »

One of my favorite authors is L.J. Smith. She has written The Night World Series (which are my favorite) and a few others. The Vampire Diaries being the most famous right now. Vampire Diaries wasn't my favorite series of hers but I liked it okay. When she released the 5th book after a long time I was very excited. However, it was like she completely changed the characters. It was like I was reading fanfiction. (Bad fanfiction.) It's been over 10 years and I'm still waiting on the next book in the Night World series. If it is anything like those new Vampire Diaries books she released, I don't know if I will be reading it.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

I have a sort of pre-disappointment with one of my favorite authors, Larry Niven. In the mid-90's, as a random choice from the used bookstore my dad and I got Beowulf's Children that Niven co-authored with Jerry Pournelle. We really enjoyed that book and went back to the bookstore and picked up Rainbow Mars. I was so disappointed and confused by that book that Niven was essentially blacklisted from my mental list of acceptable authors. It was over a decade later, that after a couple of years of gentle prodding my now husband was able to convince me to give his other books a try. I have loved every book of his I have read since and that is basically every one that we can get our hands on!
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
see_nicole_read
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Swamplandia!
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-nicole-read.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by see_nicole_read »

I totally agree on the end to Under the Dome. I reread it a couple of times to see if there was anything I missed, but it was indeed a letdown. I did just finish Mr. Mercedes and enjoyed it.
WilliamsQ
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WilliamsQ »

Of course, no one is perfect. But Stephen King has written a lot more in the great column than the merely good, let alone the mediocre or bad.
Michelleysaurus
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Michelleysaurus »

I found that almost every one of my favorite authors have at least one book that im disappointed at and i usually dont read that particular book again but every now and then they pull a sneaky on you and that dissapointing book is crucial to the story. I once had a teacher tell me if i didnt like a book by the third chapter i wouldnt like the rest of the book but if that was true id have probably have never read the Harry Potter series which does have its dissapointing book in the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Return to “Discuss Authors”