Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Re: Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

Post by sybil1reader »

The earlier John Grisham novels were great, but a couple of years ago he disappointed me with a couple of his books. One I started and never finished, which I have never done before. I have his latest but haven't gotten around to them yet.
Sveta
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sveta.html
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen

Post by Sveta »

Probably Harry Potter books 5-7. Harry Potter was a completely 360 degree character and I felt there's too much anger in those books.
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

I think that if authors start publishing books with shorter breaks in between the quality of the books is diminished. I also get disappointed with favorite authors because of preconceived ideas that I have made about characters or plot while reading previous works or comments by people online.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

Sveta wrote:Probably Harry Potter books 5-7. Harry Potter was a completely 360 degree character and I felt there's too much anger in those books.
I think you have to take into consideration that Harry was an adolescent in that time frame. People often get very angsty and angry during those years.
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
DanBR
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DanBR »

Naturally. Every author disappoints from time to time, as do our favorite musicians, actors, directors and even spouses ;-). You can't be at the top of your game all the time. I tend to forgive the lesser works of my favorite artists so long as they still release a masterpiece from time to time. Otherwise they're just one-hit wonders. Lewis Carroll is a good example of the latter: his two Alice books are probably among the top 10 best known books in history, but who ever bothers to read his other books? None even came close.
Cshelton
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cshelton.html
Latest Review: "Destiny Maybe" by Hanzel L. Calangan

Post by Cshelton »

A few of my favorite authors have disappointed me by not completing a series or having readers wait YEARS until they publish the next book in the series. Just to name a few:

Lisa Kleypas- Travises series
Sherrilyn Kenyon- BAD Agency series
R.L. Mathewson- Pyte/ Sentinal series & Neighbor From Hell series (LOVE these books- dialogue is very witty, engaging and just funny as Hell)
Sarah McCarty- Promises series

These are just a few examples where I believe that the author has had tremendous success in writing books that enable readers to become so engrossed in the storyline and so in love with all the characters that get introduced that they are literally dying for more. But then month after month goes by, then soon a year... and maybe even another and there is no word as to when the next book in the series is going to be released. ANNOYING!!!!
Latest Review: "Destiny Maybe" by Hanzel L. Calangan
GemmellFan13

Post by GemmellFan13 »

One of my formerly favorite authors did just that when he killed of Martin. I stopped reading his books arter that. The author was Raymond Feist.
pshropshire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pshropshire.html

Post by pshropshire »

I wish that Harlan Ellison had used the Internet better to promote his own work and not called, or rather implied, that everybody who uses it was some kind of degenerate thief. I thought this was a case of a great writer of speculative fiction succumbing to Future Shock.
writer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer.html

Post by writer »

Mine hasn't disappointed in any way. I haven't met them in person, but would love to.
Jon-Ross
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings and World War Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jon-ross.html

Post by Jon-Ross »

Rick Riordan isn't my favourite, but his 'Percy Jackson and the Olympians' were a real letdown.
LunaRowan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Letters from a Bipolar Mother (Chronicles of A Fractured Life)</a>
Currently Reading: Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunarowan.html

Post by LunaRowan »

I felt very let down when I read Stephen King's From a Buick 8 and Christine. I don't feel they were nearly his best works and didn't finish either. :(
MagicofBooks86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicofbooks86.html

Post by MagicofBooks86 »

Oh yeah. To be specific: Philippa Gregory and Terry Goodkind.

I love Philippa Gregory. So I happened to find one of her older books, The Wise Woman, for a nice bargain price at a used bookstore and instantly grabbed it when I saw it. Ugh! I didn't like it. It wasn't that it was totally bad. There were still bits and pieces that I enjoyed. But I thought her main characters were annoying and unlikable. Plus, the sex scenes were nauseating! I mean, seriously...gross! Just too graphic and it's just hard to describe what was going on in those scenes unless you've read the book. I like a good sex scene in a book, but it has to be written a certain way. I shouldn't have the urge to go vomit.

And for Terry Goodkind, I loved the Wizard's First Rule series. So when he came out with the Omen Machine I was excited. Yup...that was pretty bad. The characters lost their specialness.
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html

Post by sybil1reader »

I read A Time to Kill by John Grisham and for a while I would run out to buy his newest book as soon as it hit the shelves. His first book to disappoint me was The Testament. I still buy his books, but none of them seem as good as the first six or seven that he wrote.
jsinard42
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
Favorite Book: The Host
Currently Reading: Revenge of the Witch
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsinard42.html
fav_author_id: 6470

Post by jsinard42 »

Yes, James Patterson. First with the final book of Maximum Ride which I felt was an unsatisfactory ending to the series and then later when browsing the internet I discovered that he uses ghostwriters. To me you should never put your name on anything you did not in fact write. It destroyed all my illusions surrounding him and now I can't stand to read anything with his name on it.
Sgalvez6

Post by Sgalvez6 »

I love Anita Stansfield but one of her new books the Wishing Garden came out a little while ago and I was so excited to read it but after about chapter 5 the book just started to drag on and on like it was never going to end. I have never read one of her books that I felt that way about.

Return to “Discuss Authors”