What's your opinion of Jack London?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
MichelleIsenhoff
Favorite Author: Avi
Favorite Book: LOR
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 5091

What's your opinion of Jack London?

Post by MichelleIsenhoff »

The Call of the Wild and White Fang are the only Jack London books I've read. I think there were a few short stories in my lit classes as well, but I grew up devouring these two books. I loved them. I think I read them every year from age about age 10 - 17 and a few times since. My sister (in her 30's) recently read an abridged version and couldn't handle it. That whole survival of the fittest thing did her in. She doesn't think they're suitable for kids, even though she knows I thrived on them.

What's your opinion? Good children's lit? Or too harsh for kids? (I think you can guess my opinion, lol.)
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Michelle, White Fang is one of my all time favourites,and yes I would recommend it for kids.....say 11 and over.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Yes, I agree with the opinions stated above, approximately 12-17 years. It is usually mandatory reading in high school. I was about 13 when I first read White Fang and Call Of The Wild. They were heavy going, had parts I didn't understand, depressing bits about life, and the animal rawness put me off. I can still remember the devouring and crunching of marrow-filled bones. It had little relevance to me or my knowledge of the world and I didn't want to go there. No doubt I would fully understand the significance of it now and have a greater appreciation of the meaning behind it. However, they still remain older-style books and I would suggest assessing the child's likes and dislikes before recommending it.

(PS: I think this may be better in the Author forum).
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Sveta
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sveta.html
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen

Post by Sveta »

I've read Call of the Wild and White Fang, and found both of htem to be excellent novels.
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen
DanBR

Post by DanBR »

London's best and most revealing book in my opinion is Martin Eden. It is a semi-biographical novel about a struggling young writer, much like London himself was, who succeeds against all odds. Since Eden is not described in the novel as a very talented writer but more a persistent one, it begs the question of whether London thought the same of himself. He may have been insecure about his writing skills. I also don't see him as one of the best writers of all time, but he certainly had an impact on world literature.
briankaufman1952

Post by briankaufman1952 »

The short stories are what caught me. I read "To Build a Fire" and "A Piece of Steak" when I was in Jr. High. Loved them both. The latter ("Steak") is one of my favorite short stories of all time.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read his books in my youth and liked them. I think they suit for young adults. His writing style is a bit old fashioned, so not all will connect to it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I think the only Jack London story I've ever read was To Build a Fire back when I was a kid, but it left a lasting impression on me. I think he does a great job of capturing the feel of the time and place he's writing about at that time in history.

Personally, I think Jack London is ok for older kids. I say that because I think I was 11 or 12 when I read To Build a Fire for the first time, and I was ok with it (and I was a pretty sensitive kid). It's a little disturbing, but if you've spent any time in places high up north like that, you'll know that there's a lot of truth in the his description of the harshness of that environment, and that it is nothing to be trifled with. I wouldn't call it fun reading for kids, but it's good educational reading.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
BetzyCrypt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betzycrypt.html

Post by BetzyCrypt »

Jack London work is a stunner. For him, the five senses are everything! That's what makes a first person story come to life. His details on sensations, on nature easily puts him above the rest. White Fang was a masterpiece. I was obsessed with wolves when I first read it in fifth grade.
ITnker
Favorite Author: No favorites.
Favorite Book: See favorite author.
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itnker.html
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha

Post by ITnker »

I read both during my high school years. Considering what today's children are exposed to these works would be an eye opener for some. I would suggest them to children ages 11/12 or older.
Some of my happiest moments are when lost within the pages of a book!
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha

Return to “Discuss Authors”