Author hated most

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Author hated most

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I don't hate any author, but I don't care for Stephanie Meyer or Stephen King. In King's case, it is more his horrible attitude toward military veterans than his writing that makes me steer clear of his works (according to Mr. King, my military service proves that I did poorly in high school and was too stupid to pursue college. No sir, I was too broke to attend college, and I actually graduated high school with honors. But I digress).

Also, after reading Gone Girl, I've decided to stay away from Gillian Flynn. Maybe that's unfair, but Gone Girl was one of the most unsettling books I've ever read. I read to unwind, not elevate my blood pressure!!!

-- 02 Oct 2015, 14:15 --
ALynnPowers wrote:So much hate.... It makes me sad...
You are correct. Hate is such a strong word, and I don't really believe that most people here actually "hate" any author. I think it's just the tendency for humans to let their emotions get the better of them. But on a lighter note, your avatar made me laugh out loud!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Abigail-Smith95
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-smith95.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Abigail-Smith95 »

'Hate' is a morbidly strong word. I would never hate anyone. However, in regards of story line, popularity for the wrong reasons and managing to make an abusive relationship acceptably romanticised, I would say E.L James. I obviously don't know her personally, but I find the story line of 50 shades of grey as dull, demoralising for woman (I'm not a feminist- not completely anyway), and the literature generally illiterate. The word "c*ck" was used in most sentences. I may be on my own on this one as the books have been so popular. Good for her for writing a best seller! But romantic erotica? More like abused sex slave girlfriend. The idea makes me uncomfortable. On the other hand, she is a well liked author; so most hated? Probably not.
andicakes9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andicakes9.html

Post by andicakes9 »

I can't say I hate authors because we all have different minds, but I can say I SEVERELY can't stand E.L. James as an author. Her 50 shades of Grey is horribly written, tacky and boring. The only reason why she got so popular is because it became a fad, and people who normally don't read got into it. The BDSM scene I don't discriminate against to each is own and that was probably something she had to deal with with close minded people. Her writing was just awful and flat.
babysnroses

Post by babysnroses »

There could be as many hated authors as hairs on one's head....it's all a matter of personal taste. Myself, I really don't have one that I particularly hate....I have some that I don't have much interest in...but I certainly don't hate them.
Stari
Favorite Author: Neil Gaimen
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stari.html
Latest Review: "Second Chances" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Stari »

Nathaniel Hawthorne. His books are three times the size they need to be...
Latest Review: "Second Chances" by Lincoln Cole
Truepeacenik
Currently Reading: Cure
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Truepeacenik »

Well, I'll use this as Author I have the most issues with their writing style.
TC Boyle.
The man is a fine writer, with intriguing topics, and I read them all. And throw a lot of them at the wall.
I know he doesn't do comfortable endings. It's realistic that way, unless one sees such negativity equally unreal as happily ever after.
And I do.
gij316
Favorite Author: Thomas P Wise
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 31835

Post by gij316 »

For me it's Stephen King. I used to read his books, but then it began to seem like a book recipe.
Hannah_Graceful
Currently Reading: Wildwood Imperium
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-graceful.html

Post by Hannah_Graceful »

I might get some flack for this, but I'd have to go with Emily Bronte. I couldn't stand Wuthering Heights. There were no characters, whatsoever, that I liked, or with whom I could relate. And the one character I finally decided to root for ended up dying. I was furious and ended up chucking my paperback across the room in a fit of rage. :lol2:
Karen Brooke

Post by Karen Brooke »

I don't hate authors; it's more their books I might dislike for various reasons. So here is a list of authors who write books I'm not particularly fond of, whether it's the genre, or the writing style, or subject matter: E.L. James (Shades of Grey), Danielle Steele, and Anne Rice.
emilemilemily
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilemilemily.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by emilemilemily »

I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one here who dislikes Nathaniel Hawthorne. I thought The Scarlet Letter had a good plot to it, but the way Hawthorne writes...just couldn't get past it. I'm surprised to see that so many people dislike Stephen King, though. Although the only book of his I've read is The Green Mile, I thought it was fantastic. But I'm sure that an author who cranks out as many books as he does is bound to become redundant.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

gij316 wrote:For me it's Stephen King. I used to read his books, but then it began to seem like a book recipe.
I'll still read him, but I noticed this too!! So glad it wasn't just me. A lot of the characters and situations seem recycled.

My grandma always said 'you don't hate someone, you just don't like them'...that being said an author I don't like is Ernest Hemingway, I know that's a big no no.

And I agree with the Scarlet Letter, I couldn't stand it! But I feel I read another book of his and actually liked it I just can't remember the name.
ryelland

Post by ryelland »

E.L. James. It says a lot about our culture that her trashy books would be so popular. My granddaughter has better writing skills. And she's only seven! Does no one desire true literature anymore.
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

Ann Coulter and Bill O'Rielly come to mind as people/authors I dislike.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
KStephens
Currently Reading: Anchor of Hope

Post by KStephens »

I don't really hate any authors, but E.L. James irritates me.
Foxley
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foxley.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Foxley »

E.L. James based on her horrible grammar and glorification of abuse in the name of BDSM. Also setting feminism back 100 years. Yuck.

Return to “Discuss Authors”