Anne Rice

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Booklover83
Bookshelf Size: 0

Anne Rice

Post by Booklover83 »

So I did not find a thread for Anne Rice so I decided to start one. I have always enjoyed her as an author but realized I had never actually finished a vampire based novel by her even though I had a copy of the first three books in her Vampire Chronicles trilogy. I finished my first book from her last night. See my review in the review section for more info. How does everyone else like her as an author? I have read her Christ the Lord series and those were good but I had a tough time with her vampire series. Blood and Gold got me started so I am headed to the library tomorrow to grab a couple more from her.
Melaniep

Post by Melaniep »

I have all of the Vampire Chronicles, if that tells you anything. :D

Rice does an amazing job of painting a clear image in your head of her characters' surroundings. I've never been to Louisiana, but after reading these books, it seems like if I went there it would all seem/feel familiar.

Character development is another thing that she does very well. In the end of the series, Lestat is a completely different vampire than in the beginning. She does it in a way that while you're reading, you don't necessarily feel the shift, it's just natural. The same is true for some of the other characters as well.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Booklover83 wrote:So I did not find a thread for Anne Rice so I decided to start one. I have always enjoyed her as an author but realized I had never actually finished a vampire based novel by her even though I had a copy of the first three books in her Vampire Chronicles trilogy. I finished my first book from her last night. See my review in the review section for more info. How does everyone else like her as an author? I have read her Christ the Lord series and those were good but I had a tough time with her vampire series. Blood and Gold got me started so I am headed to the library tomorrow to grab a couple more from her.
Hi there Booklover83. I am a massive fan of the Vampire Chronicles except for the last two books. IMHO they were a big let down on the rest of the series, and a terrible ending to what is a brilliant series. I think that Blood and Gold is one of the best books in the series, however I really think the first "Interview with the Vampire" was never bested. I do love how Lestat's character evolves through the series and is my favourite character.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Mkroman

Post by Mkroman »

I actually just started reading Anne Rice over the past summer! I completed the first two books in the Vampire Chronicles and was surprised at how much I enjoyed them! I stayed away for a while, because I'm not really into vampire stories, etc. but her writing is really engaging and full of amazing words and descriptions.

Also, I always feared that I would get tired reading a series. She helped prove to me that I would not. :)

I look forward to reading more of her books in the future!
Justine44
Favorite Book: Sons and Lovers -D.H. Laurence
Currently Reading: Portnoys Complaint-Roth

Post by Justine44 »

Anne Rice also wrote The Sleeping Beauty Series under the pseudonym of A. N. Roquelaure. That's the only ones I have read from her.
Anais Nin-And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

Jase - RV for us stands for Redneck Vacation.
blackwings

Post by blackwings »

I've been looking for a place to discuss Anne Rice for ages now! Every forum I've found has been abandoned for a year or two lol and it's really disappointing. I'm surprised so many people on here have posted that they haven't got into many of the actual vampire books. I've read all of them, but never read the Christ the Lord series. Couldn't bring myself to do it. I was so glad she returned to the gothic world with The Wolf Gift. I've read it, and also read The Witching Hour, Violin, and Cry to Heaven. I just can't into her other stories as much as the Vampire Chronicles. To me it seems like all of the Mayfair witches and characters in The Wolf Gift are all the same. They're all fabulously weathly, world-travelled, geniuses, and have perfect mary sue personalities. I just can't relate to them like the vampires, who are actually interesting and have histories and problems. Has anyone else noticed this? It's particularly present in the more recent books, like Blood Canticle and The Wolf Gift. I absolutely can't stand Mona, lol.
min

Post by min »

I've been an Anne Rice fan for about 10 years now :) before vampires became glittery *insert eye roll* (no offence btw)

Just started "The Wolf Gift" not too long ago- I'm about half way through and I will admit it is pretty darn good. Addicting read and I'm curious to find out all of the things that are just waiting to be revealed. Excited that she has finally taken on werewolves!
bizworldusagcm

Post by bizworldusagcm »

'm surprised so many people on here have posted that they haven't got into many of the actual vampire books. I've read all of them, but never read the Christ the Lord series. Couldn't bring myself to do it. I was so glad she returned to the gothic world with The Wolf Gift. I've read it, and also read The Witching Hour, Violin, and Cry to Heaven. I just can't into her other stories as much as the Vampire Chronicles. To me it seems like all of the Mayfair witches and characters in The Wolf Gift are all the same.

thank you.
BLACKLISTED
min

Post by min »

yeah im about 65% through wolf gift and kinda put it aside to read dune because it felt a little redundant ... the story seems so straight forward without the description and feel that i got from the vampire chronicles. i highly recommend servant of the bones to you bizworld.
bizworldusagcm

Post by bizworldusagcm »

thank you.

regards.
BLACKLISTED
red3devil

Post by red3devil »

I am also big fan of Anne Rice and proud to say I have read all her books and series!

I started with her The Witching Hour series and that was it!
She introduced me to this paranormal world and I thank her for that!

The vampire Chronicles was my first series about vampires and she made me fall in love with them!

Also I am in the middle of her new novel The wolf Gift and have to say love it so far!
bizworldusagcm

Post by bizworldusagcm »

I had a copy of the first three books in her Vampire Chronicles trilogy. I finished my first book from her last night.I've never been to Louisiana, but after reading these books, it seems like if I went there it would all seem/feel familiar. In my thoughts I'm surprised so many people on here have posted that they haven't got into many of the actual vampire books.

regards.
BLACKLISTED
min

Post by min »

its because twilight ruined vampire stories. you can't admit to liking any sort of vampire story without implying twilight, which many people who appreciate real authors and well written books would rather "not be into vampires" other than have anyone associate them with meyer's books. At least that's how I feel
bambamvela
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambamvela.html

Post by bambamvela »

Ann Rice was the first series author I started reading. Loved her stories. I am glad she continues to write. I am always hooked when I read her books.
Sveta
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sveta.html
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen

Post by Sveta »

I loved her as a teenager, but got annoyed with the constant Catholic religion and her characters that come from same background and have same problems. I tried to read her as an adult, but didn't like her, sorry to say.
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen

Return to “Discuss Authors”