Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Shaybo
Favorite Author: Joanne Fluke
Currently Reading: Carrot Cake Murder
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 6291

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by Shaybo »

I like Joanne Fluke and Laurie R. King.
NickMatocho

Post by NickMatocho »

Scott Snyder and Stan Lee, currently.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Right now it has to be David Mitchell without a doubt
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
soulman2
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soulman2.html

Post by soulman2 »

Orson Scott Card for his Ender books.
camilegordon

Post by camilegordon »

the catagory NEEDS to be split in to contempotry and classic. . . . yes Tolkien is up there but u can compare with . . say Will Self can you ??

-- 15 Nov 2012, 08:48 --

indeed. . .u dont get to be the highest selling living author in history with out that gift.

-- 15 Nov 2012, 08:51 --

actually . . and this might seem a tacky responce. . .but Ian Flemming has to be up there ! no one mentioned him yet . . . he has to have sold as many as the best. From russia with love was amazing
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@camilegordon
Perhaps you misunderstood the topic ... It's Who's Your Favorite Author - got absolutely nothing to do with sales or general popularity. :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Fran wrote:Right now it has to be David Mitchell without a doubt
Me too Fran. Colleen will always be my favourite but Mitchell's writing is incredible. :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Yamia Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yamia-green.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by Yamia Green »

Currently my favorite author is Ted Dekker. I love his style of writing because he creates a story that allows the reader to get lost in the world that they are reading about while sitting on the edge of the seat in anticipation of finding out what's going to happen when the page is turned. I have read his novels in less than 24hrs on several occasions; and these are not 100 page books, but they are just that good.
mcorley
Favorite Author: Jean M. Auel
Favorite Book: The Clan of the Cave Bear
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcorley.html
Latest Review: "The Walker on the Cape" by Mike Martin
fav_author_id: 3709

Post by mcorley »

My favorite author is Jean M. Auel. I absolutely loved her Earth's Children's series.
Latest Review: "The Walker on the Cape" by Mike Martin
Kathe
Favorite Author: Not Sure
Favorite Book: Little Big by John Crowley
Currently Reading: Ghost Story by Peter Straub
fav_author_id: 9087

Post by Kathe »

I think I responded to this somewhere else.
My favorite author is a toss-up between Mark Helprin and Patricia McKillip. Both use poetic prose, Helprin is more philosophical and McKillip is more personal.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Trix9201
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trix9201.html
Latest Review: "The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff" by Lane Heymont

Post by Trix9201 »

There are so may authors that I love and admire but I have some favourites:

Lucy M. Montgomery
Alice Munro
Jane Austen
Kate Morton
The Bronte sisters
Thomas King
Thomas Hardy
Latest Review: "The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff" by Lane Heymont
HolmesGirl221b

Post by HolmesGirl221b »

First and foremost, I have to say Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. My passion for mysteries was started by reading Sherlock Holmes.
DATo

Post by DATo »

HolmesGirl221b wrote:First and foremost, I have to say Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. My passion for mysteries was started by reading Sherlock Holmes.
One of my favorites as well. How do you feel about Holmes stories which were not written by Doyle? My personal mantra in this regard is: If it's not Doyle it's not Holmes.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
HolmesGirl221b

Post by HolmesGirl221b »

Funny you should bring this up, as I have recently bought from Amazon (I buy so many books on there :) ) Laurie King's The Beekeeper's Apprentice. Now this is when Holmes has retired and relocated to the countryside, and it follows Mary Russell, who at fifteen, stumbles across Sherlock who is enjoying himself as a country beekeeper.
Now, I'm wary of reading this I admit, as I cannot believe that any other author can recapture the same spirit and essence of a character like Holmes, that only Conan Doyle can. Besides this, he eventually marries Mary Russell, and together they set about trying to defeat an enemy whose cunning and determination to destroy them, matches that of the infamous Moriarty.
So, part of me being curious would like to read it, while my other half cries out: "Oh, per-leeaaze!"
But King herself said that her Holmes isn't the as Conan Doyle's Holmes. In which case, why oh why, even write the book?
I do have House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz which I have yet to get my nose into, and it has had good reviews.
But initially, I do agree with you. If it's not Doyle, it's not Holmes.
DATo

Post by DATo »

HolmesGirl221b wrote:Funny you should bring this up, as I have recently bought from Amazon (I buy so many books on there :) ) Laurie King's The Beekeeper's Apprentice. Now this is when Holmes has retired and relocated to the countryside, and it follows Mary Russell, who at fifteen, stumbles across Sherlock who is enjoying himself as a country beekeeper.
Now, I'm wary of reading this I admit, as I cannot believe that any other author can recapture the same spirit and essence of a character like Holmes, that only Conan Doyle can. Besides this, he eventually marries Mary Russell, and together they set about trying to defeat an enemy whose cunning and determination to destroy them, matches that of the infamous Moriarty.
So, part of me being curious would like to read it, while my other half cries out: "Oh, per-leeaaze!"
But King herself said that her Holmes isn't the as Conan Doyle's Holmes. In which case, why oh why, even write the book?
I do have House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz which I have yet to get my nose into, and it has had good reviews.
But initially, I do agree with you. If it's not Doyle, it's not Holmes.
You know, the supreme irony of the whole thing is that Doyle came to absolutely loathe writing about Holmes which is why he killed him off at one point only to be forced by popular opinion to later resurrect him. Can you imagine how much richer the collection of Sherlock Holmes stories would be if Doyle had actually liked writing them? I suppose I should be grateful for the stories he DID write but I cannot help but feel a sadness that there could have been so many more.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Discuss Authors”