Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
A24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by A24 »

My favorite author is Karen Kingsbury. She is a Christian author and her books are always exciting and full of interesting characters. She has written about my different topics and I have enjoyed every book she has written. Her books are very uplifting.[/quote] by lindsey0058j

@lindsey0058j: I love Karen Kingsbury too! Loved all the books with the Baxter family. The characters were so well-defined that I felt like I was part of the family too.
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
BethanyNP

Post by BethanyNP »

My three authors are Suzanne Collins, Jane Austen, and Veronica Roth. My favorite book by Jane Austen is Pride & Prejudice, my favorite book by Suzanne Collins is The Hunger Games, and my favorite book by Veronica Roth is Divergent. :lol:
aksser

Post by aksser »

Alexandre Dumas

I have read many his books and i like. Such as Three Mushketeers, Monte Christo and others.

Also I am Alexander Pushkin fun, read many his poems and novells.
preetisoft2

Post by preetisoft2 »

My favorite author is Andrew Motion.
ah824824

Post by ah824824 »

my favorite writer is kazi nazrul islam. because his rightings are like inspiration against unjust and sin.
DanaB
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danab.html

Post by DanaB »

I could never pick just one or five favorites--it really depends on what I'm into reading at the moment. I do love a good story.

That being said, some of my all-time favorite authors are Diana Gabaldon, Maeve Binchy for their storytelling ability...I am always intrigued, charmed or annoyed by every character in their stories.I also like Robert James Waller (he wrote much more than Bridges of Madison County) for good storytelling.

Hemingway is...well, he's Hemingway and ranks as an author to pay attention to, for me.

I just read The Great Gatsby for the first time this summer...I wonder if Fitzgerald has stories that would make me turn the pages?

~

(tis my first post on this entire forum--hi, y'all! **waving**)

-- 18 Sep 2012, 12:28 --

I could never pick just one or five favorites--it really depends on what I'm into reading at the moment. I do love a good story.

That being said, some of my all-time favorite authors are Diana Gabaldon, Maeve Binchy for their storytelling ability...I am always intrigued, charmed or annoyed by every character in their stories.I also like Robert James Waller (he wrote much more than Bridges of Madison County) for good storytelling.

Hemingway is...well, he's Hemingway and ranks as an author to pay attention to, for me.

I just read The Great Gatsby for the first time this summer...I wonder if Fitzgerald has stories that would make me turn the pages?

~

(tis my first post on this entire forum--hi, y'all! **waving**)
MysFan

Post by MysFan »

DanaB wrote:I could never pick just one or five favorites--it really depends on what I'm into reading at the moment. I do love a good story.

I agree that Hemingway is in another category; one of the greats. Many see Fitzgerald as being at this level as well.

The Great Gatsby is certainly what critics say is Fitzgerald's best work. Along with many others, I studied every nuance and thread of this book in college. It is a great piece of literature. I just prefer Tender is the NIght. He wrote books after Gatsby that seem to show a continued talent, and he also wrote many short stories. Various people put together collections after his death:

Before Gatsby - The First Twenty-Six Stories
F. Scott & Zelda Fitzgerald - Bits of Paradise - 21 Uncollected Stories
Six Tales of the Jazz Age and Other Stories
The Basil and Josephine Stories

Here is a list of his other books. Hope it is complete.

Tender is the Night
The Jazz Age
The Beautiful and the Damned
This Side of Paradise
The Last Tycoon

He died before he could finish this last book, but it was published. I seem to remember that there was a movie starring Robert DeNiro that was based on the book, but I am not sure. (If it the one I remember, it was a horrible movie and was far from the book, but that is another forum discussion.) Many critics say that Fitzgerald was one of the greatest authors to portray the Roaring Twenties; lifestyle and emotions, how people felt about life and death; the haves and have nots. Since I have not read all the books about this era, and am not an expert on these times, I can't say. However, I like his work. If you read more Fitzgerald, be interested in what you think. And what other forum members think as well.
CA_Griffith
Favorite Author: Lee Child
Currently Reading: The Nightmare Merchant
fav_author_id: 4411

Post by CA_Griffith »

I have to go with Lee Child. I enjoy following his Jack Reacher character :)
Clairecrumpton1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clairecrumpton1.html

Post by Clairecrumpton1 »

Victoria hislop
ralfy

Post by ralfy »

Yukio Mishima
FastReader

Post by FastReader »

I really can't choose just one. But for true crime, Ann Rule is the undisputed queen. She was a policewoman in the Northwest before becoming a best selling author. She had the remarkable good luck to volunteer at a suicide prevention line with serial killer Ted Bundy. She wrote "The Stranger Beside Me" about him. She never fails to hold the reader's interest.

I like F. Scott Fitzgerald use of the language. How any authors use the word "oubliette?" He was so inventive too. If you have never read his short story "A Diamond as Big as the Ritz" you have missed out on something good. It's unforgettable.

As is another classic short story, "To Build a Fire" by Jack London. It introduced me to another world. Almost literally, since I had never read anything about the severe weather conditions in which the story takes place. It may have been this story that was the seed of my fascination with survivor situations and polar explorations.
MysFan

Post by MysFan »

FastReader - Read Anne Rule's book on Ted Bundy. At the time all this happened I had just left college and was working at a state agency in Washington's capital city, Olympia. Women were terrified. I am sure they were all over the country as no one knew where this killer would go next. There was an acquaintance who told police she saw a young woman tied up in the back of a car at about the time the news was reporting the abductions. Of course in the real world police don't get back with someone who reports things; its not like books where the witnesses join police and solve the crimes. They probably thought she was hysterical and paranoid. But we all agreed it was better for her to report this than to just let it go. Later they told her she did not have anything to worry about. (Never know exactly what they mean by that!!)

I remember hearing him talk to the press during his trial and reading about interviews he gave in prison. That and her book were the first time I realized a serial killer could be absolutely anyone. Almost everyone Ted Bundy met liked him, including Anne Rule.

I have read a few of her other books. But a few years ago I stopped reading true crime, and watching stories about them on television. Perhaps I will pick up another one again, as I used to be very interested. But I have so many others on by TBR list, and as a result of this forum have even put some on there that I read years ago just to see what I think of them now.

As far as Fitzgerald, I have read almost everything he wrote. (I say that because reference materials about authors' bodies or work are often far from accurate - I know I should check the Library of Congress.) I read a book called The Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald - A Collection of 28 Stories With An Introduction by Malcolm Cowley. That contained The Diamond As Big As the Ritz. But I don't remember it, so I think I will put it on my TBR list. (Gets longer as I get older!!) Thanks for the recommendation.
resaleebook

Post by resaleebook »

Disappearing Acts-----Terry McMillan
Discovery of India ------Jawaharlal Nehru
pawpoint
Favorite Author: Robert rankin
Favorite Book: Raiders of the Lost Car Park
Currently Reading: Robert Anton Wilson
fav_author_id: 8853

Post by pawpoint »