Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
BirthCONTROL
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by BirthCONTROL »

Augusten Burroughs.
ryugan
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryugan.html
Latest Review: "I Come Alone" by Michelle J Coote

Post by ryugan »

Gotta be Douglas Adams, his take on the world and witticisms were something to behold.
Latest Review: "I Come Alone" by Michelle J Coote
churinga
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-churinga.html

Post by churinga »

It's hard to name just one so I will name 3 (all sci-fi or fantasy):

Iain M. Banks - This man is a legend. Although I am a fan of his fiction (M. removed), I love his science fiction. Particularly his Culture novels. Each story is well put together and thought out, with a detailed and expansive narrative. What's all the more impressive is the rate at which this man churns them out. If he realises 1 book a year its a slow rate for him

Joe Abercromie - Has written an ongoing series of bloody, dark, and humorous novels which show the depth of characters normally reserved for minor parts in other similar novels. There are no true heroes, just men and women trying to survive in a violent and warring world, often with their own ongoing battles with inner demons.

Chris Wooding - Having half his released books meant for young adults, and the other half light and fun, does not take away from the excellent story telling and character development. Like Joe Abercromie, all his characters seem to have some inner turmoil or another, and this is worked into the stories fantastically
graveljl

Post by graveljl »

James Patterson

-- 03 Oct 2012, 13:02 --

E.L. James

-- 03 Oct 2012, 13:02 --

Jennifer Weiner
SURY
Favorite Author: Saul Bellow
Favorite Book: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 7473

Post by SURY »

Gnosimaie wrote:Dostoevsky because he is Dostoevsky.

Nabakov because how can a person write so fluidly in a language that is not even his native tongue? I forgive him for thinking that women can't write.

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis because their works filled my imagination at a young age and therefore influenced my entire life.
Yes, I too like Dostoevsky and Nabokov. Of course there are so many good authors. It is a long list.
V.S.SURY
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

It's hard for me to choose, but one of the authors whose books I tend to pick up right when they're published is Chris Bohjalian. He often has a good twist to his plots. "Midwives" is my favorite.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
SURY
Favorite Author: Saul Bellow
Favorite Book: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 7473

Post by SURY »

James Hadley Chase! He is the master of story-telling.There is not a single unnecessary sentence in his books.
Boondock66saint
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boondock66saint.html

Post by Boondock66saint »

I would have to say my favorite author is Chuck Palahniuk. His characters and story lines are so off the wall, yet interesting that I get sucked into the plot within the first few pages.

I'm also a big fan of Stephen King. I feel like a lot of his work will be considered timeless, where people generations from now will be reading it and commenting about his brilliance.
Carrie R
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Carrie R »

Boondock66saint wrote: I'm also a big fan of Stephen King. I feel like a lot of his work will be considered timeless, where people generations from now will be reading it and commenting about his brilliance.
I agree. Stephen King is a brilliant storyteller. He sucks you in within the first paragraph, if not the first sentence. Masterful.

JadeBecker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadebecker.html

Post by JadeBecker »

A new favorite author for me would be J. Sterling with her wonderful book 'The Perfect Game.' It is a very emotional rollercoaster ride and has a lot of perspective within the whole story.
SofiaICMT

Post by SofiaICMT »

I can not say just one, because more than one changed my perpective of the word

maybe the most important to me were:
José Saramago
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Patrick Suskind
Isabel Allende
Umberto Eco
Jane Austen

but are so many that i can refer...
mango01

Post by mango01 »

my favorite is humaun ahmed.he is one the greatest author.he is not only a author but also a storywriter,dramatist.thats why i like him most.
episkopos

Post by episkopos »

I actually have two favorite authors. For fiction, my favorite is Karen Kinsbury, she is a great story teller. All her novels are so real you actually feel a part of the story. For non-fiction, Dag Heward-Mills. He writes to address very intricate issues of life.
pawpoint
Favorite Author: Robert rankin
Favorite Book: Raiders of the Lost Car Park
Currently Reading: Robert Anton Wilson
fav_author_id: 8853

Post by pawpoint »

It really has to be Robert Anton Wilson - and I`m not just talking about Illuminatus!

-- 05 Nov 2012, 09:26 --
Carrie R wrote:
Boondock66saint wrote: I'm also a big fan of Stephen King. I feel like a lot of his work will be considered timeless, where people generations from now will be reading it and commenting about his brilliance.
I agree. Stephen King is a brilliant storyteller. He sucks you in within the first paragraph, if not the first sentence. Masterful.
Love your picture (and I dont say that very often!)
:wink:
Carrie R
Currently Reading:

Post by Carrie R »

pawpoint wrote:
Love your picture (and I dont say that very often!)
:wink:
Thank you. At least I think you were talking to me. If not, I'll look like this: :oops:

Return to “Discuss Authors”