Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by Redlegs »

lady_charlie wrote:well ok maybe I have more than one favorite, but someone I haven't seen mentioned yet is John Irving.

Someone told me to read A Prayer For Owen Meany, which may be one of the best books of all time

Since then I have read The Ciderhouse Rules and A Widow for one Year and The Hotel New Hampshire. I recently picked up Setting Free the Bears at the library for ten cents.

I never feel richer than when there are half a dozen books sitting on the shelf that I haven't read yet!!!
I tend to go through phases, but John Irving was one of my favourite authors at one time. I have read all of the books you mentioned (and more), and my favourite is The Cider House Rules. It's unfortunate that Irving books tend to get turned into really bad films!

-- 06 Jan 2013, 01:45 --
zillymom wrote:Murakami Haruki. (I can't believe I still need to read 1Q84, though!)
I especially love his short stories.
The Wild Sheep Chase is an absolute hoot!
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
ambes01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ambes01 »

Wasi shah is my favorite author
irin123

Post by irin123 »

Humaun ahmed is my favorite.He is a wonderful writer.
facebook fans

Post by facebook fans »

Chetan Bhagat and APJ Abdul kalam is my favorite author.
Grenadine54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grenadine54.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Grenadine54 »

This old thread... never gets old.

I'm very much into Hemingway. His work consistently has made my jaw drop. I like single books by various writers as well. Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle" was genius.

I have never been able to sit through Tolkien's books, but I have loved how his stuff has been translated onto the screen. From what I can tell, Tolkien's mind just worked very wondrous ways, and I wish I had the patience to read Lord Of The Rings, but somehow I don't get along with his way of writing...
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
rummageman

Post by rummageman »

“Cat’s Cradle” is one of my favorites also. I just finished re-reading Vonnegut’s “Jailbird.” I love his unbounded inventiveness.

As for Tolkien’s work, well, I have stubbornly refused to look at any of the films that were made from The Hobbit or The Lord of the Ring. I will let nothing alter the images that have inhabited my mind since reading those magnificent books.
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

rummageman wrote:“Cat’s Cradle” is one of my favorites also. I just finished re-reading Vonnegut’s “Jailbird.” I love his unbounded inventiveness.

As for Tolkien’s work, well, I have stubbornly refused to look at any of the films that were made from The Hobbit or The Lord of the Ring. I will let nothing alter the images that have inhabited my mind since reading those magnificent books.
The only Vonnegut I have read to date is Slaughterhouse Five, which I really loved, so I am keen to read more.

As for the Tolkien movies, they really are worthwhile - I don't think you would be disappointed. Lord of the Rings is my favourite book and the Jackson movies only enhanced my appreciation of it.

PhoenixOrders
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenixorders.html

Post by PhoenixOrders »

I definitely have to say J.K. Rowling. Her imagination is ridiculously amazing. She made a whole world of magic. :)
Schnappi

Post by Schnappi »

My favorite author is Heinrich Heine. Heine's background, experience, contacts and ideas development, are naturally affected his literary creation, is also reflected in his works, especially in his poetry. Heine's poetry include lyric poetry, current events, poetry, narrative poetry, as well as a long poem style , and can be described as colorful, particular lyric poetry! Whether the conception, transported thinking, or language style, has a distinct personality, unique style
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

PhoenixOrders wrote:I definitely have to say J.K. Rowling. Her imagination is ridiculously amazing. She made a whole world of magic. :)
You should try Tolkien - Rowling is a pale imitation of Tolkien's vast imagination, which created a whole new world of magic expressed on a massively impressive scale (IMO). :)

ahiliya fernandes

Post by ahiliya fernandes »

My favorite author is R.L. Stine
MsWend2013

Post by MsWend2013 »

So many favorites and never enough time to read them all.
Marina Cole
Barbara Delinsky
Tami Hoag
John Grisham
Cathy Glass (her books really tug at your heartstrings)
Ann Rule
John Hart
And my list goes on and on. Thankfully several years ago (well 20 or so) I got away from just the historical romance stuff and moved on to find so many different genres of books to read.

One more that I read many many years ago . The author was Marie De Jourlet . She wrote the Windhaven series which was 14 books long. I have read each one and it took a long time as I read other genre books between. I still have all those books along with a few other series of the same genre. May get them out again one day and see if they still peak my interest as they did back then
rishabhsachan

Post by rishabhsachan »

chetan bhagat is my favorite author
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

Hm this is a hard one.... Agatha Christie is definitely one of my favorites authors and within her genre I think her books are the best; I've been reading them for years and they are still my favorites mystery novels.
Recently I've been reading more books by Carlos Ruiz Zafón and so far I've been really enjoying his writing style.

I think I'll always have some trouble naming my favorites authors because I think there are a lot of good writers out there that write amazing books, which makes it more difficult to pick :)
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
MeTime

Post by MeTime »

I love Edith Wharton. The first book I read by her was Age of Innocence. Newland Archer's wistfulness and realizations at the end really got to me and was very realistic for any time. I love that she wrote about living in New York while she lived in New York close to the time period, not as someone researching what it was like around the early 1900s. House of Mirth I absolutely loved, Old New York, Custom of the Country....Wharton has a way of expressing the complicated thoughts of her characters in all these books and you can identify with them even though our culture now is so different. Society and how people perceive each other and how much you care about what people think of you is still an issue. The book Summer was a different setting, and it was fascinating to me to read how an extra marital relationship and what the character considered doing about her unplanned pregnancy was described in that time period. We say things differently now but the same things go on. Ethan Frome also was very different. I'll never be able to describe how Wharton surprised me at the end. What a chill; I found her writing remarkable. Sorry to be so vague - I don't want to say too much in case anyone who wants to read her books!

Return to “Discuss Authors”