Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
markj
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markj.html

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by markj »

hands down, J.K. Rowling. the harry potter series is my childhood. That woman took me to a world I grew to love, as many other readers!
DanHab
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danhab.html

Post by DanHab »

Who could choose just one? So many authors do amazing things with their writing that are just incomparable to others.
As a fantasy reader I'd have to say top favorite would be Branden Sanderson- Not for his work on the Wheel of Time series, which was transparent at best, but for basically every one of his original works. He jumps from conventional epic fantasy to modern day, and his world building skills never cease to amaze- especially since he manages to create new and complete worlds with every one of his unfinished series'.

Then the rest of the top five in no particular order, Robert Jordan for "the Wheel of Time", Patrick Rothfuss for "the Name of the Wind", Terry Pratchett for most of his works in the Discworld sagas, and Anne bishop for the inverse social hierarchy in the "black jewels" novels.
Books+anime+Beatles

Post by Books+anime+Beatles »

Oh, it's very difficult to choose only one author!... But I'm going to limit myself as much as I can... Let's see...

Daphne Du Maurier
Charlotte Brontë
Juliet Marillier
Deb3j

Post by Deb3j »

C.S. Lewis - Fiction and Non-fiction, Space Trilogy was also a great read
P.D. James - British Mystery
Elizabeth Goudge, excellent author
Danni Krue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danni-krue.html

Post by Danni Krue »

My Fav Author?

Without a doubt it is J.R.R. Tolkien, the Hobbit was the first book I read that really sparked my love for all things literature.

I also love Suzanne Collins, J.K. Rowling, and Jodie Picoult.
kavance
Favorite Author: Tahereh Mafi
Currently Reading: Unwind
fav_author_id: 3468

Post by kavance »

There's so many it's always hard to decide. I'd definitely have to include Edgar Allan Poe and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle who are my absolute favorites. Just recently I discovered a new author, Tahereh Mafi, and I fell in love with her writing in the first chapter. I've reread her book Shatter Me probably five times in the last month.
MeganebuKris22
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Maze Runner Series
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganebukris22.html
Latest Review: "Petty Offenses and Crimes of the Heart" by Mitchell Waldman

Post by MeganebuKris22 »

I have so many favorite authors but there are some authors who just stick with me and I can't help but to wrote some of their quotes from their books down. So here are some of my favorite quotes by some of my favorite authors, just so you can get an idea of why I love these authors so much :P

"Ignorance is not bliss. Bliss is knowing the full meaning of what you have been given."
- David Levithan (A Word from the Nearly Distant Past)

"What kind of god makes love a sin? There's too little of it in the world as it is."
- Tanya Huff (The Fires Stone)

"God has a sense of humor, and because the world is wondrous, He expects us to find reasons to smile even on the darkest of days."
- Dean Koontz (Relentless)

I have pages and pages of quotes from authors that I truly love so I'll stop here before I go a little crazy with them lol :P
Latest Review: "Petty Offenses and Crimes of the Heart" by Mitchell Waldman
alstrapani19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alstrapani19.html

Post by alstrapani19 »

My favorite author would have to be John Green. In my experience when reading his books I always end up enveloped into the book and unable to put it down. Also his books bring many different emotions to his readers. I've been caught laughing, crying, screaming and at one point I threw one of books across the room because it was such an upsetting scene and ended up wiping my eyes from the tears and crawling to where my book landed just to finish it. If you have a young reader I'm your house I suggest reading a John Green book, preferably Looking for Alaska.
jenbel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenbel.html
Latest Review: "Greenhill" by Gary Cann

Post by jenbel »

I love a good Stephen King book. Some of his story lines are a little bit out there, but he is such a good writer. He draws you in to the story so that by the time all the weirdness happens, it's too late. You're hooked.
Latest Review: "Greenhill" by Gary Cann
Lauren_Bucci
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-bucci.html

Post by Lauren_Bucci »

I really love James Patterson books. I like to read mystery books the most.
lyndsie_anna
Favorite Author: Virginia Woolf
Favorite Book: The Poisonwood Bible
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyndsie-anna.html
Latest Review: "Life, Death and Iguanas" by Marc Newhouse
fav_author_id: 2470

Post by lyndsie_anna »

I agree with a lot of the other responses I've seen in this forum…I could never pick one favorite author. From a literary/feminist standpoint, Virginia Woolf is my favorite. I've never connected with an author and her emotions so quickly before. To the Lighthouse changed my life.
I also love Stephen King, though specifically his short stories and shorter novels, because his longer works tend to have too many extraneous plot lines.
Augusten Burroughs is funnier than anyone else I've read and was such a strong lifeline for me as an LGBTQ teen.
Borges is amazing too, if you have the time and energy to unravel his space/time riddles.
Latest Review: "Life, Death and Iguanas" by Marc Newhouse
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

Two Irish writers I would mention as among my favorite authors' Jennifer Johnston and Edna O'Brien.
grammy57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grammy57.html
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by grammy57 »

I have a lot of favorites. I am currently reading Beverly Lewis.
jreed1694

Post by jreed1694 »

I love Ayn Rand, primarily as an author--though her philosophy is also very interesting.
BreBunny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brebunny.html

Post by BreBunny »

If I had to limit myself to only one author being my favorite, I would have to choose Suzanne Collins.

Return to “Discuss Authors”