Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jenni Etner
Bookshelf Size: 0

My favorite

Post by Jenni Etner »

I am an avid reader and over the years I have read almost everyone. It should be difficult to pick a favorite one, but it isn't. My favorite has to be John Foxjohn.

This is one writer who knows how to get the reader involved in the book. If there is a better ione writing now, I haven't found him or her.
Mr. Pessimistic

Post by Mr. Pessimistic »

For Sci Fi

Asimov
Bear
Bradbury

For Fantasy

Moorcock
Tolkein
Piers Anthony

Misc

Gaiman
Vonnegut

Mr. P.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

My favorites are Stephen King, Mary Higgins Clark, Virginia Woolf, and Amy Tan.

Stephen King has a very honest and cynical style in writing. I like the way he writes details and descriptions.

Mary Higgins Clark always write interesting themes with unexpected plot. I love the way she draws my curiosity.

Virginia Woolf is a classic author who is very critical and symbolist. I always love the ways she critics.

Actually I just read Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, but I really like it. The plot is very unique, full with morale views, messages, and symbols. Read the novel makes me think of many things.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I really enjoy Amy Tan's writing, she is an excellent storyteller.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Coraline

Post by Coraline »

sleepydumpling wrote:I really enjoy Amy Tan's writing, she is an excellent storyteller.
Can you recommend me her other great novels for my next reading? :D
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I really enjoyed The Bonesetters Daughter, The Hundred Secret Senses and The Kitchen God's Wife Coraline. I haven't read her latest book yet though.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

blushingmilk

Post by blushingmilk »

LoveHatesYou wrote:
ANd of course, being a lit. major, I have to love Shakespeare. He is the original ganster.
Hahaha, so true. He is amazing of course and probably top of the list of my favourite writers.

*~ Also C.S. Lewis, based on his Chronicles of Narnia - however I have yet to read his other 'Christian' works so I'll keep you posted on my position changing.

*~ Roald Dahl - he has a beautiful humour and a twisting way with language and character and context which both adults and children love.

*~ Enid Blyton - I attribute my most fantastical and happiest dreams of my life to her works.

*~ Christopher Pike - He has this crazy way of being poetic and succinct at the same time. His language is simple yet isn't condescending to Young Adults (his primary target audience).
He's a mixture of Anne Rice/ Stephen King horror with a pinch of Star Trek, the dry wit of middle America realising a bigger world, with a sharp grip on romance that is neither cheesy nor devastating.
"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world."
*~ C. S. Lewis
deenation

Post by deenation »

I loved Enid Blyton as a young girl too and I bought tons of them for my son.

Now I am hooked on Elizabeth George, so my detail and the characters seem so real. I put that in my profile on my blog ceomum.
Midge

Post by Midge »

My favourite authors are:

Philippa Gregory.
Mitch Albom
Joanne Harris
Stephen King
Audrey Niffenegger
C S Lewis
J K Rowling
Sophie Kinsella
J R Tolkien
spyseries.com

Post by spyseries.com »

Robert Ludlum .. i just love the way he writes spy novels ..
perksofbeingme

Post by perksofbeingme »

Jodi piccoult
Chuck Palhniuk
Stephanie meyer
J.K Rowling

Although, my favorite book isn't by any of these people. Go figure.
How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
clarebear

Post by clarebear »

George Orwell
Hunter S Thompson
Charles Bukowski
Sylvia Plath
Anthony Burgess
William Burroughs
Jack Kerouac
Poppy Z Brite

Argh theres too many!
"There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." Sylvia Plath
HeraSee

Post by HeraSee »

The favorite changes from time to time, lately it's been Kerouac, but really all of the experimental writers of that era are really standout. One book which was much better upon a recent second look is Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins.
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

I like so many writer's for so many diffrent reasons. J.K. Rowling,Tim Robbins, Stephen King,Jack Kerouac,Ernest Hemingway,William Faulkner,Jane Austen, Emily Bronte,Charlotte Bronte,William Shakespeare,H.G. Wells, J.R.R. Tolkien,
Oscar Wilde,Kurt Vonnegut,Shel Silverstein, James Joyce,Charles Bukowski,Mary Shelley,Bram Stoker,Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy,Friedrich Nietzsche,Mark Twain,Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman,Sigmund Freud,
Victor Hugo,Edgar Allan Poe, Aesop Martin Luther King Jr,Langston Hughes, Edgar Allan Poe, Agatha Christie, Charles Dickens, Ralph Waldo Emerson,E. E. Cummings,Louisa Alcott,Honore de Balzac,Jules Verne,
William Butler Yeats, Sylvia Plath,Dylan Thomas,Pablo Neruda
Niccolo Machiavelli Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Edgar Rice Burroughs,

Those are just some of the authors whose work I love to read. :D
sportsguy33

Post by sportsguy33 »

If I had to pick a favorite author, I'd say Tom Callahan. He's written a couple of good pick ups (including possibly my favorite book ever, Johnny U: The Life and Times of John Unitas) over his time.

Return to “Discuss Authors”