Michael Crichton

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Stinkin' Fascist
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stinkin' Fascist »

Yeah, I was kind of put off by him at first, at the time i wasn't interested in reading about genetics, i wanted a major escape (fantasy i suppose), but getting past those first 3 pages started turning my view around.
I'm a big fan of MC, I respect him and his work greatly.
Next is a great book and i'm glad I read it in 5th grade, I felt so smart :D

I've reread it probably 5 times, along with a couple others of his, sad to see him go.
And now State of Fear, I love it.
Can't wait to continue.
Roland

Post by Roland »

I'm a sucker for time travel stories so thought Timeline would be a great intro to this much sort after author.... but after a great build up found it to be a very average novel compared to other time travel novels I've read. As a result I don't feel the urge to try again. I've also been told most of his stuff consists of some new invention/theme park that goes wrong.
soniakhan33

Post by soniakhan33 »

I really Like it......
alexAkselrod

Post by alexAkselrod »

Very interesting comment history. I've never read the books but still I saw Jurassic Park movie. It is very similar to other adventures movies. But it was the first movie of the kind I saw. I was about 12 years old that time.
Nowdays I never waste my time on such a movies. It is obvious that movies oof that kind has only one goal - to get huge money to the producer. Being very spectular at glance, there will never be seen more than once.
I'm sorry, but there are many others interesting books to read. If you fond of science fiction then you'll probably find it's interesting to read Robert Shekly's books. If you fond of adventures then you should read Jules Gabriel Verne.
But not Jurassic Park or others of the kind.
I'm sorry, I've bever read the book. But the movie of bad kind.
MadBookWorm

Post by MadBookWorm »

I loved state of fear....
Centropolis

Post by Centropolis »

I really like most of his books but I was very disappointed with Prey. If you are planning to get into Crichton books, don't start with that one because it'll be a bad first impression.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

It's always interesting when an old thread is resurrected. I see that nobody wrote about the late Michael Crichton's non-fiction books. I read one titled "Travels" and it's about his 'inner travels into psychic and spiritual worlds, how he moved from scepticism to self-discovery' and you can take that as either totally fascinating or completely boring. For me, it was a bit of both.

Also, for all you erstwhile fans, a thriller "Micro" by Michael Crichton and Richard Preston will be released in November. Yet another author being published posthumously.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Davinci

Post by Davinci »

here`s why

I read his novels because it challenges views of the world. I know I won`t find good caracterization. That was not his goal.

it was more like : look what happens if we let scientists do what they want forr example.

His caracters to me where just there to express different point od views. little puppets lol

he was a good storyteller, with something to say

so sad he passed away
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

My favorite Crichton novel is "Sphere." We read it in seventh grade science class.
KattPascale
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Letters to Sam
Currently Reading: In A Small Town
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kattpascale.html
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by KattPascale »

I want to read more Crichton
Kat Pascale
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

Michael Crichton was without doubt unspeakably brilliant. My personal favorite is Airframe, perhaps followed by State of Fear. However, now that his final novel has been published posthumously, I find myself so unwilling to relinquish the anticipatory pleasure I associate with his writing that I pace myself in finding Crichton novels that I have not yet read. So here's the real question: When every Crichton novel has been read, what author can fill the gap?
LunaRowan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Letters from a Bipolar Mother (Chronicles of A Fractured Life)</a>
Currently Reading: Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunarowan.html

Post by LunaRowan »

Hardcore Crichton fan here! :mrgreen:
sblake
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sblake.html
Latest Review: "Raven" by Vasyl Shkliar

Post by sblake »

Michael Chrichton was really the first mainstream author where I actually went out and bought the books...hardback even, when they came out. His stories were fast paced and I love books that take scientific possibility and weave it into something fantastical.
Latest Review: "Raven" by Vasyl Shkliar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I miss Michael Crichton
I love
Timline
Sphere
Jurassic Park
The Lost World
Next (which I didn't see listed before)

I can't say I always agreed with his opinions...but I respected them.
He was not some layman who twisted some science he'd heard about to fit his story.
He was almost a doctor and did research up the you know what.
The world lost a great writer when he died...
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Discuss Authors”