Salman Rushdie

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Sophius
Bookshelf Size: 0

Salman Rushdie

Post by Sophius »

A while back, a friend of mine reccomended to me Salman Rushdie, and so recently, I decided to pick up a few of his books. I'm really enjoying his work, and after aksing smoe other people's opinions, some have stated that he is the next William Faulkner.

Is anyone else here familiar with his work?
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I read Midnight's Children about 3 years ago but TBH I didn't really enjoy or like it. It was one of those books that really made me work to finish it.
I wouldn't be rushing to read any more of him.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Sophius wrote:A friend of mine at one point reccomended to me Salman Rushdie, and so far I have not been dissapointed. Is anyone else here familiar with his work?
Hey there Sophius. I own and have read three of Rushdie's books. "The Ground Beneath Her Feet", "Shalimar the Clown" and "Midnight's Children". My favourite of the three is "Midnight's Children". However it was so long ago that I read the other two, I would have to reread them. Have you read "The Satanic Verses"? If you have I would be very interested in your opinion of it. I have gone to buy it so many times and have not done so.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Lola82

Post by Lola82 »

I've read Haroun and the Sea of Stories when I was in uni and really enjoyed that book; his storytelling was very smooth and captivating. I read Shalimar the Clown, which was not as good as Haroun, but decent in its own light. It was still a good story, but I couldn't compare them because of the different imaginative tale for each novel. The writing style was as highly expected and didn't let me down. I tried to make my way through Midnight's Children, but didn't finish it more to a lack of time.

Which novel are you reading of his? What do you think so far?
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

I've read Haroun and the Sea of Stories, which I agree is very good, and am currently reading The Satanic Verses, which I am finding to be excellent. I love how he uses mysticism in the book, which is just enough to keep the reader intriugued without going over the top. He plays with the whole idea of the archangel and the demon in a way that really makes the reader think, and the controversy centered around the book makes it worth reading in itself.
Lola82

Post by Lola82 »

I've actually wanted to get my hands on that novel for several years now. I read the back cover and it sounds so interesting. It's just never in the used bookstore!! I seldom ever buy from a chain just because I like to support independent stores which are so far and few in between! And also, I try where I can to reuse :)

I'm thoroughly jealous right now.
Techforums123

Post by Techforums123 »

Rushdie advocates the application of higher criticism. Rushdie calls for a reform in Islam in a guest opinion piece printed in times.

Rushdie was knighted for services to literature ,Rushdie came from a Muslim family but says that he was never really religious.
KirkB
Favorite Author: Kurt Vonnegut
Favorite Book: Galapagos
Currently Reading: Michael Pollan The Omnivores Dilemma
fav_author_id: 2721

Post by KirkB »

I was actually at a book fair this past weekend and picked up a used hardcover copy of Salman Rushdie's 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet' for $2 - I haven't read anything by him, but I have heard of him, somewhere. His name popped out while I was browsing the books, so I figure it had to be a good sign. Although this Satanic Verses sounds interesting as well.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

KirkB. @ CTS BLACKLISTED
moi_papillon

Post by moi_papillon »

Read that his the most controversial author ever
nathancook

Post by nathancook »

I read his some of books. And he is very controversial and brave writer i can say.
Justine44
Favorite Book: Sons and Lovers -D.H. Laurence
Currently Reading: Portnoys Complaint-Roth

Post by Justine44 »

Midnight's Children is an amazing read. I have one other book by him in my TBR pile.He is one of my top favorites.
Anais Nin-And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

Jase - RV for us stands for Redneck Vacation.
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

Salman Rushdie is one of my favorite modern day authors. I've read Fury, among a few others, and have now read his newest, Two Years Eight Months and Twenty Eight Days. His writing is dense. Every sentence has a significant purpose. He's extremely intellectual and brave, so when I feel a few pages aren't necessarily working it is easy to forgive.

He is one the most important authors in the last 40 years, and am surprised when more people who love reading haven't stumbled upon his work.

-- 18 Feb 2016, 13:06 --
Sophius wrote:I've read Haroun and the Sea of Stories, which I agree is very good, and am currently reading The Satanic Verses, which I am finding to be excellent. I love how he uses mysticism in the book, which is just enough to keep the reader intriugued without going over the top. He plays with the whole idea of the archangel and the demon in a way that really makes the reader think, and the controversy centered around the book makes it worth reading in itself.
I agree on his use of mysticism. I especially enjoy his use of Hindu and Asian influences because world religion and anthropology is one of my favorite topics.
Nichol

Post by Nichol »

Rushdie is a fearless writer and human being
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

Rushdie is one of my favorite authors. I'm waiting to get a copy of Two Years Eight Months and Twenty Eight Days from my library.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer

Return to “Discuss Authors”