Tolkien

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
TornUpReaper
Bookshelf Size: 0

Tolkien

Post by TornUpReaper »

Anyone else love Tolkien? Lord of the Rings has always been one of my favorite series ever, and it was required reading from my father when I was little, haha. I was told I had to read it when I was like... 8, when everyone else was reading Holes in school :)
Rest_In_Pieces

Post by Rest_In_Pieces »

Well, I respect him for the imaginative, extensive world he created. But I'm not terribly fond of his writing to be honest. It's too archaic for my taste, and he meanders a lot in the plot (this is especially apparent in the first book). Still, I was a huge fan in my teens and I will always be grateful to him for giving me that whole new world to wonder about.
TornUpReaper

Post by TornUpReaper »

Rest_In_Pieces wrote:Well, I respect him for the imaginative, extensive world he created. But I'm not terribly fond of his writing to be honest. It's too archaic for my taste, and he meanders a lot in the plot (this is especially apparent in the first book). Still, I was a huge fan in my teens and I will always be grateful to him for giving me that whole new world to wonder about.
I agree that he meanders, sometimes it is difficult to get through especially since he describes everything with page-long descriptions, haha. But I still think that the world that he created is beautiful, and the fact that he created his own language in detail was phenomenal. :)
~*~ Shay ~*~
Rest_In_Pieces

Post by Rest_In_Pieces »

He was a master in worldbuilding. That, in and of itself, deserves praise and recognition.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I love him for the imagination and detail in his books. The complexity of Lord of the Rings is truly amazing considering it was written long before the advent of the computer .... how he kept track of it all has always amazed me.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
TornUpReaper

Post by TornUpReaper »

I just love the elvish language he created. I even want my first tattoo to be in elvish. I had someone translate a line from the 3rd movie into it for me, it's so pretty to look at![/img]
~*~ Shay ~*~
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Imho he is one of the greatest Fantasy writers of all time. Many people say that he is too descriptive in his writing and I would have to agree, however I love descriptive writing so I have no problem there. When you start reading LOTR it is almost like you are being sucked into another world. I don't think there will ever be another writer like him.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
TornUpReaper

Post by TornUpReaper »

:)
~*~ Shay ~*~
Vogin

Post by Vogin »

I'm wondering why people play World of Warcraft and no one came up with an idea to play World of LOTR...
TornUpReaper

Post by TornUpReaper »

There actually is a LOTR game online. I've played it (hurray being a geek!) and it's pretty fun :)
~*~ Shay ~*~
Asimovrocks

Post by Asimovrocks »

I love Tolkein and his "archaic meandering" style. He is an author that writes epics that fall in line with ancient mythology.

The breadth of his style and imagination has allowed him to create the world of middle earth!
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

You gotta love "The Hobbit". After all, it was written way before LOTR and really set the scene.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Evapohler

Post by Evapohler »

I did love the Hobbit! Bilbo is an endearing and unforgettable character who demonstrates true diplomacy. I actually read it after LotR, and so didn't understand Bilbo's awesome reputation until after reading the Hobbit.

To think that all this greatness came from a professor's doodles on a student exam. The student left one page blank, and so Tolkien wrote, "In a whole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

The whole magnificent world of Middle Earth came from that little doodle!
Greatgatsby

Post by Greatgatsby »

I think he has one of the liveliest imaginariness known to mankind.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Greatgatsby wrote:I think he has one of the liveliest imaginariness known to mankind.
Try reading Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next novels - you'll be pleasantly surprised at his imaginariness!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell

Return to “Discuss Authors”