Tolkien

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Iggy_86
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iggy-86.html
Latest Review: "Empathy and the Birth of the White Army" by Michael Kantor

Re: Tolkien

Post by Iggy_86 »

Love Lord of the Rings. Still read it from time to time. Never gets old. Tolkien himself is pure wisdom. :)
Latest Review: "Empathy and the Birth of the White Army" by Michael Kantor
Caz1+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caz1.html

Post by Caz1+ »

I read lord of the rings although I must Admit I really struggled with it. Not read the hobbit yet although enjoying the films
Amberle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberle.html

Post by Amberle »

I know Tolkien gets knocked a lot for his "archaic and meandering" style, but I think honestly that's what I like about him. It wouldn't be a fantasy epic, for me, without that. For example, I love the ideas in Terry Brook's novels -- I was named out of them, after all -- but just can't really get into him as a writer, and the same holds true for others in this genre. For me, personally, Tolkien's language is a big part of what makes his body of work as memorable as it is.

That said, I do like The Hobbit a whole lot more than the LOTR trilogy. Maybe because I read these when I was much, much younger. I think the Hobbit appealed to me more as a classic, one-off tale of courage and all that. It's the one I'll be reading my children, for sure.
claire mckay
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-mckay.html
Latest Review: "The M-Word" by Josephine Stine

Post by claire mckay »

My favourite author of all time. Yes he has lots of flaws in his style etc but for sheer epic scale and depth he can't be beaten. I'm so glad they got Peter Jackson to do the films as he may have changed things but he also appreciates the same depth of authenticity in his films. I loved it so much I even read Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales a few times too. Awesome!
Latest Review: "The M-Word" by Josephine Stine
19letizia95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19letizia95.html

Post by 19letizia95 »

Tolkien is one of my favourite authors ever. I love the hobbit and Lord of the rings.
kchoo

Post by kchoo »

I've read LOTR, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion twice each... looking forward to the third time. :)
Eleko14
Favorite Author: Tolkien
Favorite Book: Mary Stewarts Merlin Series
Currently Reading: The Alchemist of Souls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleko14.html
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by Eleko14 »

I read his books around the same time as you, 7 or 8, and have LOVED him ever since. I still have the first copies of The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit books that I bought from the school book fair when I was in elementary school.
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

He is particularly one of my favorite writers in classic form and he is just fantastic i am such a fan
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou
zifranka
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zifranka.html

Post by zifranka »

I like the fact that he can write about an elaborate fantasy world as though he's lived in it his whole life, and then takes you into the nitty-gritties as though you're actually in there with the characters. I also find his sense of humour absolutely charming. They drive me nuts. And teary-eyed, at times. I used to never read thick books, but I breezed through the trilogy and pretty soon poring over the rest of the package, too. And whenever I'm feeling down, I do a movie marathon. I liked Crown of Silence after that, but I've yet to meet other authors who can write as well as he does. I don't quite mind his overly wordy style as I'm a fan of Clifford Geertz.
acasto
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 85">King's Warrior</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acasto.html
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford

Post by acasto »

I also read him at a young age - about fifth grade. I fell in love with Middle Earth, the Grey Elves, and Tolkein's style in general.
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

Still one of my favorite authors who wrote one of my favorite sci-fi/fantasy series of all time.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I absolutely love the man and the world he created although I have to admit I read the whole series as a young child and although I vividly remember them, I don't remember any plodding or meandering in his writing and I think I'll keep it that way. Sometimes it's better to remember things or see things with the eyes of a child, and although I'll never be allowed back to Narnia after 13 year's worth of heart hardening in a Motorcycle service department anyway, I will always have Middle Earth in there to keep the spark alive.
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
makenna-16
Currently Reading: The Codex
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makenna-16.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by makenna-16 »

I love his books! The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit have always been one of my favorites. I love the adventure and the imagination in it. I love how his writing takes you into a whole new world, and entertains you.
sacha_arrak
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sacha-arrak.html
Reading Device: B00K2O4TI8

Post by sacha_arrak »

Tolkien explored a dangerous cavern when he wrote Lord of the Rings. Nonetheless, there are many who will agree with me when I say he was inspired to write what he did. I do not believe any man could have written something so powerful on their own.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure...but there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you...As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. -M.W.
mpierce8819

Post by mpierce8819 »

I absolutely love anything Tolkien touches and honestly the Hobbit was the first novel that sparked fantasy/ fiction addiction. I have read them all several times over and plan to again. His books are an adventure that causes ones imagination to go from 0 to 100 real quick. If only that kind of imagination was common there would be so much more amazing literature out there. Not to say there isn't plenty but his style is sort of lost due to the times in my opinion. You know a book is well written when the movie is even half decent and Peter Jackson absolutely captured it 100 % for the most part which is very rare.

Return to “Discuss Authors”