Tolkien

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Tolkien

Post by LivreAmour217 »

There are just no words to adequately describe how awesome Tolkien is!!! I admit to not reading the books until the first movie was released in 2001, but better late than never! I have been a huge fan of his ever since. I love LOTR and The Hobbit, but my personal favorite is Tree and Leaf. I highly recommend this one to all lovers of fantasy!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
mpierce8819
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mpierce8819 »

I've recently been hearing alot about tree and leaf and though I haven't gotten around to reading this one yet I plan to very soon. Though I know I will absolutely love it seeing as how I'm a die hard Tolkien fan. So can anyone tell me a little more about it? I'd really appreciate anyones input of this book.
makenna-16
Currently Reading: The Codex
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makenna-16.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by makenna-16 »

I think he's one of the best authors of the century. He has a great imagination and makes the story float on the page. He helps create pictures in the readers mind with just a few words. I fell in love with the characters at the beginning and love the wild and imaginative story. His characters are well put together and the action in the book is one that won't let you put the book down. :)
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

I have so much love for Tolkien! I will totally agree that there are things about his style that I am not always in the mood for but over all I am a huge fan of all of his work. Even above the writing I love his back story, his friendship with fellow author C.S. Lewis was a fairy tale all of it's own. Happy reading!
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
Ffinlo

Post by Ffinlo »

Caz1+ wrote:I read lord of the rings although I must Admit I really struggled with it. Not read the hobbit yet although enjoying the films
I found the Hobbit a lot easier and more enthralling than LOTR, however, I did enjoy both. I'm currently reading The Silmarillion and although it reads more like a history book I think reading The Hobbit before hand gently eased me into his style of writing.
Nichol

Post by Nichol »

I loved how detailed his description of the environments were. That's why the movie rendition is so true to the books. It was all in there for the screenwriters
dprice811
Currently Reading: Night and the Cat
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dprice811.html
Latest Review: "The Rise of the Superhero" by Rasa Samimi

Post by dprice811 »

The Hobbit was one of my favorites as a kid. Especially Chapter 5 Riddles in the Dark. Loved reading that chapter! I re-read it several times, as well as Lord of the Rings, as an adult. I actually acquired the trilogy early on but I was a little young to really get into it. I think I read the entire series for the first time around when the first movie came out. I loved the detail, and was excited to turn the page. The only one that seems a bit slow to me is The Fellowship of the Ring. The first chapter does not quite grab me the others did, especially The Hobbit. But once the action starts, you have to read to the end and all the extra explanations are what make for iconic stories that inspire extreme fans to study the world created inside out.
Latest Review: "The Rise of the Superhero" by Rasa Samimi
samallen8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samallen8.html

Post by samallen8 »

I love the idea that Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings as a fairytale for England just as countries have their own fairytales or legends (such as Germany having Hansel and Gretel and Greece having all of the Greek epics).
ChillFil

Post by ChillFil »

Tolkien is an amazing author. The fantasy world he envisioned is so complex and beautiful; it has a greater explanation and background than our own world. I have the special LoTR edition, (with all three books in one) awesome cover art, fold out maps and a cool sleeve. I also have the "corresponding" edition of The Hobbit.
Firedrake
Currently Reading: Flamecaster
Bookshelf Size: 696
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firedrake.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr

Post by Firedrake »

I read "The Hobbit" first when I was six. Read "The Lord of the Rings" when I was nine. I still love them, and I'm in my fifties. I don't understand it when people say Tolkien has no humor -- the books are chock full of subtle, dry humor -- and when people say it's too much detail and then go off and read even longer things. But then, I think there are a lot of subtleties. It's not for everyone, but there's a lot there that an impatient reader won't catch.
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
the biblophile

Post by the biblophile »

Tolkien was the author that hooked me on reading. In jr. high school detention there was a copy of the Hobbit, I nicked the book and read it cover to cover that night. It was like a gate way drug, I moved on to LORT and the Silmirillian. I never looked back. I now have a private library of around 2000 books and counting.
Bronsone
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronsone.html

Post by Bronsone »

Tolkien created a fantastic history. The Silmarillion is not my favorite book by Tolkien, but it is a masterpiece of biblical proportions. His vast world is meticulously planned and fascinating. He was a master story-teller.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

The world that J.R.R. Tolkien created was the literary equivalent of the construction of a cathedral, each block precisely laid and fitted over a great period of time. It is an epic, lifetime achievement which is well deserving of its critical acclaim. Though I respect the enormous talent that went into the creation of this world and the stories it contains I was disappointed with the actual writing style. The phrasing seemed too stiff and pedantic to me. It lacked the "flair" and seasoning found in other fantasy books I have read. But, that having been said, I still respect the effort, commitment, and creative excellence displayed in these books.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I really love 'The Hobbit'. I've read it twice so far and I plan to reread it soon. I haven't read the LOTR series because when I got a look of the books displayed in a bookstore, the books are so thick and it intimidated me. lol. I'll probably give it a shot when I can commit to reading such a long series.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Snoop1911

Post by Snoop1911 »

Tolkien's worldbuilding stretches far beyond what may authors are capable of reaching. Although at times he plods along and gets too caught up in said worldbuilding it often enriches the experience. As a reader I look for books to take me to a different place. Where I can lose myself and wonder in a new world that stays in your mind long after the final page.

Return to “Discuss Authors”