David Sedaris?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Molecularblonde
Bookshelf Size: 0

David Sedaris?

Post by Molecularblonde »

I sort of pride myself on my intellect, but anytime I want to have a happy laugh I just dig up my David Sedaris books....I have every one of them. His contributions to the New Yorker are hilarious. :lol:

If you're ever feeling a bit blue, pick up Me Talk Pretty One Day, Dress Your Children in Coudoroy and Denim, Naked and all the rest. Iwent to a reading of his in Seattle, and he signed all my books.
Danielle

Post by Danielle »

I agree. The title story in Naked reduced me to uncontrollable giggles.
Molecularblonde

Post by Molecularblonde »

Me too! :D :D :D
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

Yesssss me too! The first one I read was Me Talk Pretty One Day, and I remember reading it in public and laughing uncontrollably and getting weird looks. He is freaking hilarious but he's also really good at describing people, telling stories, and connecting with his audience. And mixed in all of his stories are little bits of wisdom, so I feel like I'm being told funny stories by someone who also has something to teach me, but they are not didactic in any way. Love him on NPR also.

I'd like to recommend Tina Fey and Dave Barry, if you're into non-fiction humor writing. They both have very different styles than Sedaris and each other but are hysterical.
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I just love David Sedaris! He's my favorite! His stories crack me up. I also love the way he can write about something that is both hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time. He can reflect on the death of his mother then remember how she brought some baby animals back to life by baking them in the oven.

He's also a nice guy. I went to see him do a reading once, and he signed books afterward. He stayed and talked to every single person in line, even though it took over five hours, and it was after he'd travelled all day and done an hour and a half reading and a half hour Q&A session. I was the last person in line, and he treated me as if I were the first. He was so nice! And he's just as interesting and funny in person as he is in his books.

If you haven't read anything of his, I'd recommend listening to one of his audiobooks, especially Me Talk Pretty One Day!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

David Sedaris is someone whom I model my own writing efforts after. He just makes you smile and yet contemplate your life all at the same time. He's like a literary Jedi
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
LarryWilto

Post by LarryWilto »

I prefer to listen to him speak over reading his books, but I'll take either. He is touring this fall.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I am currently reading and loving Me Talk Pretty One Day. I will definitely be reading his other books in the future.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
purvi bhatt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purvi-bhatt.html

Post by purvi bhatt »

He is genious. The way he sees things and describes is side splittingly hilarious. I sometimes find my self laughing alone on his lines and only I know how I strugle to suppress the laughter so that others do not find me a crack nut.

"Me talk pretty one day" is a work of art. To add to it, he has very innocent face to believe he can be this funny. :P
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I wish I could write like him. His books crack me up.
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

I guess I don't really share his sense of humor since I don't really find his work funny. :/ I did like the story "Jesus Shaves" in Me Talk Pretty One Day, though. That one made me really laugh.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Discuss Authors”