Jasper Fforde Ffan

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Re: Jasper Fforde Ffan

Post by Maud Fitch »

QUEENSLAND FOR THE WIN!!!!! GO MAROONS!!!!!

Sorry, Jasper. You'll have to take a back seat for the night.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
fav_author_id: 4227

Post by primrose777 »

Maud Fitch wrote:QUEENSLAND FOR THE WIN!!!!! GO MAROONS!!!!!

Sorry, Jasper. You'll have to take a back seat for the night.

BLUES ALL THE WAY...........It must be our turn surely. :)
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

We were robbed!!!! Gallen should have been sent off, or at the very least sin-binned. Anyway well played the blues, next game in Brissie is ours. :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
primrose777

Post by primrose777 »

Gannon wrote:We were robbed!!!! Gallen should have been sent off, or at the very least sin-binned. Anyway well played the blues, next game in Brissie is ours. :D
Yes, we did play well... I would like to hold that memory in case it becomes a far distant one. Not that I am being negative mind you :D
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Why are we discussing Rugby on the Jasper Fforde forum? :?
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Fran wrote:Why are we discussing Rugby on the Jasper Fforde forum? :?
My fault Fran, sorry about that. :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
primrose777

Post by primrose777 »

Gannon wrote:
Fran wrote:Why are we discussing Rugby on the Jasper Fforde forum? :?
My fault Fran, sorry about that. :D
Yes Gannons fault, Sorry Fran...... Jasper Rocks :D :D
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Okay, I shall tactfully ignore the last couple of posts and ask if anyone has read Jasper Fforde's Nursery Crime books?
Not as high profile as his other works but 'The Big Over Easy' and 'The Fourth Bear' are just as genre-bending.

I'm currently re-reading 'The Big Over Easy' and will divulge a clue "Old Mother Hubbard asked in a croaky voice if he'd come about the room to rent. He replied No, I'm Detective Inspector Jack Spratt of the Nursery Crime Division investigating Mr Dumpty's death."

If you want to read a book which recreates the B&W moodiness and sleazy realms of an old Humphrey Bogart movie with slugs of dry wit, I can recommend it. Let me know who comes to mind when you read starlet Lola Vavoom's part.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Annmeeker

Post by Annmeeker »

We made it to the first Fforde Ffiesta (usually in May) in Swindown, and if you're a Fforde ffan, you have got to go. I know it sounds hoity-toity, but we're such big Fforde fans we flew to Swindon for the weekend (from US East Coast), and never regretted a minute of it. Check his website for details, but I highly recommend it as a heck of a good time.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud, I cannot pm you so I have to use this thread to keep up to date. AWOL again hey, I hope you are not snowed under by work. Have you read or heard of "The Puppet Boy of Warsaw" by Eva Weaver. It's a brilliant book. I managed to get Fran to read it and she loves it as well. Whenever I finish a book I always think what would Maud or Fran think of this? :D Fran and I seem to have the same taste in books, I knew as soon as I finished it Fran would love it.

I am currently reading "Woke up Lonely" by Fiona Maazel. I am enjoying it, but have got lost a couple of times, it's a strange sort of a read.

I wish you would post a bit more often but I know you have been very busy. What are you reading at the moment? Any recommendations? I am going to work my way through the booker long list I have decided to start with "The Kills" by Richard House. Hope it's good.

Ah well until you grace us with another post, stay well and happy. Miss ya!!! :D

PS - I know this is a Jasper Fforde thread so, all I can say is my book(which I have ordered twice) has still not shown up. Maybe the postie is a Fforde fan and he is stealing them. But why would he steal two copies. Come to think of it, he looks a little bit guilty with each delivery. I am going to have to start up a conversation with him and drop some subtle Fforde references in and watch him closely. :lol: :lol:
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon said: "PS - I know this is a Jasper Fforde thread so, all I can say is my book(which I have ordered twice) has still not shown up. Maybe the postie is a Fforde fan and he is stealing them. But why would he steal two copies. Come to think of it, he looks a little bit guilty with each delivery. I am going to have to start up a conversation with him and drop some subtle Fforde references in and watch him closely." :lol: :lol:

Good one, Gannon! It's a bit of a mystery where those books have gone. Perhaps Austria instead of Australia?

Sadly, nothing new book-wise on the Jasper Fforde ffront. He seems to be really getting into the photography on his website. And his third kids book Dragonslayer series keeps getting bumped, it's now a year away.

I’m having JF and TN withdrawal pangs but I guess this is a good time for me to re-read his Thursday Next series or one of his other books, namely The Fourth Bear which (as I discovered at my local library) is undergoing a resurgence.

On Friday 18th October at 7:00pm he’ll be giving at talk at Penarth Book Festival in Victoria Square, Penarth, and on Saturday 19th October he’ll be part of Space, Time Machine and Monster Festival, Riverfront Theatre, Newport, South Wales. So if you are lucky enough to live in that particular area of UK.....or you know Annmeeker.....or alternatively could someone please pay my return air fare…..?
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:Gannon said: "PS - I know this is a Jasper Fforde thread so, all I can say is my book(which I have ordered twice) has still not shown up. Maybe the postie is a Fforde fan and he is stealing them. But why would he steal two copies. Come to think of it, he looks a little bit guilty with each delivery. I am going to have to start up a conversation with him and drop some subtle Fforde references in and watch him closely." :lol: :lol:

Good one, Gannon! It's a bit of a mystery where those books have gone. Perhaps Austria instead of Australia?

Sadly, nothing new book-wise on the Jasper Fforde ffront. He seems to be really getting into the photography on his website. And his third kids book Dragonslayer series keeps getting bumped, it's now a year away.

I’m having JF and TN withdrawal pangs but I guess this is a good time for me to re-read his Thursday Next series or one of his other books, namely The Fourth Bear which (as I discovered at my local library) is undergoing a resurgence.

On Friday 18th October at 7:00pm he’ll be giving at talk at Penarth Book Festival in Victoria Square, Penarth, and on Saturday 19th October he’ll be part of Space, Time Machine and Monster Festival, Riverfront Theatre, Newport, South Wales. So if you are lucky enough to live in that particular area of UK.....or you know Annmeeker.....or alternatively could someone please pay my return air fare…..?
First off, let me say just how happy I am to see you posting again. We really miss ya kid. :D

I would love to be able to go to that festival. Fforde is an author who I would love to see talk on just about any topic really.

I think I have told you before but The Fourth Bear is my favourite JF book. I like the nursery crime series just a tiny, weeny, little bit more than the Thursday books.

Hope everything in your neck of the woods is peachy, and that you are healthy as a horse. (I have always thought that this saying is very unfair on horses. I can just see a sick horse when seeing his master approach thinking, "Oh well better start looking healthy, can't let the side down.") :lol:

Remember to post or suffer Fran's wrath!!!! :D :D Miss ya! :D
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Hullo Gannon, old pal, how's my favourite poster of all time? Hope you are fit and well and baby is doing fine.

I haven't been around the Forums for awhile so I won't say too much in case I put my foot in it :wink: and wouldn't want to incur the wrath of You Know Who (aka dear Fran) but suffice to say that Mr Jasper DoubleF has not been doing anything noteworthy of late. He'll be at an author event named The Laugharne Weekend on April 4th – 6th 2014 but from all accounts it costs dearly to get a ticket, plus air fair, plus accommodation, plus.....:cry:

Of course, I still adore him, just want to sink my teeth into a new Thursday Next book which may, may not, be coming out next year; plus Dragonslayer 3 is coming soon. Have put in hints for a JurisFiction SpecOps t-shirt for Christmas.

What reading are you doing, especially now summer is here?!
Artemisia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artemisia.html

Post by Artemisia »

Haven't read any of his books yet, but I love Pratchett, so will most definitely be giving him a try!
“If you don't turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else's story.”
― Terry Pratchett
Njkinny
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Empowered
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njkinny.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Njkinny »

I have not read any of his book but will surely check them out now..
Njkinny :techie-reference:

Return to “Discuss Authors”