Jasper Fforde Ffan

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Love Those Dodos

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:That makes me think, with all the new e-readers and kindles etc, I wonder if the book signing festivals will dry up and go the way of the dodo.(got to love the dodos) I suppose they could sign the kindle but then when you went to read your next novel, the author's signature would block out the words, and they would have to use a special pen as well.
This is not the first time you have touched on a relevant 21st century dilemma, Gannon. Personally I think the publicity machine will roll on regardless. Recently I read where an author said he signed all sorts of odd things, the least odd being a Kindle. It appears that fans even bring their preferred autographing pen - so you weren't far wrong.

Remember I told you about that 10-Question Quiz Jasper Fforde ran in conjunction with the release of his newest book "One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing" (which I don't recommend you read until you have read at least three of the earlier ones!) well, I didn't get all the answers so I was ineligible to enter. That didn't bother me too much because they were hard! Below is an example of Q and A:

"Question: To guard against reader intrusion, the ungenred zone in BookWorld is covered in Soporific paint in order to cause hacking readers to fall asleep. Why is the colour the shade of young lettuce?"

"Answer: Any fan of Beatrix Potter will know that the effect upon the Flopsy Bunnies of young lettuce was to make them soporific, probably the first long grown-up word many of us encounter. Any answer with 'Beatrix Potter' or 'Flopsy Bunnies' in it was correct".

Oh, I can see you shrug and say "easy peasy" but what about Question 2: "What has a clause at the end of the pause?" I was flummoxed!

I like the idea of our own literary code but what about these two elongated words, interoperability and functionality - translation "it works". (With apologies to IT staff).
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Holy Moly, those questions do seem hard. Guess what arrived today Maud. Wait for it.....wait for it.......Dr seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham". Only gagging my copy of "Lost in a Good Book" just arrived right then. It is first edition, first print, signed Jasper again on the title page. Beautiful book actually. As soon as I finish taking care of my little nephew I am going to dive straight into it and will probably read a sizable chunk of it. I can't wait. Its like Christmas. Can't wait to discuss it with you and Fran. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

FANTASTIC!! I'm happy for you. I was just about to log off when I saw your name linked to the Jasper Fforde thread and - bingo!!

Of course, I am bubbling over with questions but will have to put a lid on it until you've digested at least the first four chapters.

Hope your toe is okay. Will check in again tomorrow <can't wait, can't wait...>

PS: I think it was a trick question because "A cat has claws at the end of its paws". I mean, Jasper, is that fair?
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

PS: I think it was a trick question because "A cat has claws at the end of its paws". I mean, Jasper, is that fair?
Well done Maud, I would have never got that.
I have read the first four chapters and they are hilarious right from page one with all the tv programs. I could go on about another five or six things that I found so funny just in these first four chapters but I think I will wait until I finish the whole book. Will let you know when I finish it and I may have some questions for you, you being the Jasper expert. I really hope Fran gets it soon, so she can add her opinion. Maybe even Tessie might get the second book as well. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Gannon wrote:
I have read the first four chapters and they are hilarious right from page one with all the tv programs. I could go on about another five or six things that I found so funny just in these first four chapters but I think I will wait until I finish the whole book. Will let you know when I finish it and I may have some questions for you, you being the Jasper expert. I really hope Fran gets it soon, so she can add her opinion. Maybe even Tessie might get the second book as well. :)
I should be able to start Lost in a Good Book tonight ... just have to finish off current read (insufficiently multi skilled to read two together!). Really anxious to get to it now.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Fran wrote:
Gannon wrote:
I should be able to start Lost in a Good Book tonight ... just have to finish off current read (insufficiently multi skilled to read two together!). Really anxious to get to it now.
Howdy there Fran. So glad that you will be reading "Lost" soon. I am reading it really slowly trying not to miss any of Jasper's little tricks with wordplay. Can't wait to discuss it with you guys. :)
Fran

Post by Fran »

Gannon wrote:
Fran wrote:
Gannon wrote: Well done Maud, I would have never got that.
Howdy there Fran. So glad that you will be reading "Lost" soon. I am reading it really slowly trying not to miss any of Jasper's little tricks with wordplay. Can't wait to discuss it with you guys. :)
Gannon ... I've made a start :lol:
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Gannon ... I've made a start :lol
I am so glad you have started Fran. I have been looking after my nephew again today but I have still managed to churn through 14 chapters. It is so good and lives up to the high expectations I had for it. I have two pages of notes so far with the tricks he uses. There are a couple of things which have me a bit baffled, hopefully Maud and yourself will be able to explain them to me. It is so enjoyable to read because it is like you are doing a puzzle at the same time you are reading it. You have to be on the constant look out or you can miss something. Keep on reading so we can dissect and discuss it. :)
Fran

Post by Fran »

Gannon wrote:
Gannon ... I've made a start :lol
I am so glad you have started Fran. I have been looking after my nephew again today but I have still managed to churn through 14 chapters. It is so good and lives up to the high expectations I had for it. I have two pages of notes so far with the tricks he uses. There are a couple of things which have me a bit baffled, hopefully Maud and yourself will be able to explain them to me. It is so enjoyable to read because it is like you are doing a puzzle at the same time you are reading it. You have to be on the constant look out or you can miss something. Keep on reading so we can dissect and discuss it. :)
Wow you're really speeding through it :lol:
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Howdy Fran. I do seem to be flying through it. I will finish it today I think. How are you going with it? Do you like it as much as "The Eyre Affair". At the moment about half finished, I think it is brilliant, I would not say it is better than "Eyre" but easily as good. I won't ask you anymore about it, will wait until we have both finished. :)
Fran

Post by Fran »

Gannon wrote:Howdy Fran. I do seem to be flying through it. I will finish it today I think. How are you going with it? Do you like it as much as "The Eyre Affair". At the moment about half finished, I think it is brilliant, I would not say it is better than "Eyre" but easily as good. I won't ask you anymore about it, will wait until we have both finished. :)
You're way ahead of me ... I'm only at Chapter 12
Loving it - you really do need to keep your mind on it don't you? If your mind wanders even for a second God knows what might happen. Extraordinary imaginative writing - so many thinks I love in it but I'll hold my powder dry till I get to the end. Love Granny Next though :lol:
- My Home by Clive James
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

I turn my back for a minute and, yikes, you two are powering through "Lost In A Good Book". Excitement plus!

New characters like Granny Next pop up (always for a reason with Jasper!) and new inventions litter the book, e.g. The Gravitube. Such lovely nonsense.....below are two nicely made-up words from the book:

Xplkqulkiccasia
Hard-to-pronounce medical term used to describe the 'Shock of discovering that what we thought was fiction is real'. Sometimes fatal.

Fiction Infraction
An unauthorised change of a book's narrative. A very serious offence in the Jurisfiction Penal code.

Looking forward to sharing thoughts and crazy ideas but, of course, I'll be mindful of spoilers. Well, not big ones anyway. <plock, plock>
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:I turn my back for a minute and, yikes, you two are powering through "Lost In A Good Book". Excitement plus!

New characters like Granny Next pop up (always for a reason with Jasper!) and new inventions litter the book, e.g. The Gravitube. Such lovely nonsense.....below are two nicely made-up words from the book:

Xplkqulkiccasia
Hard-to-pronounce medical term used to describe the 'Shock of discovering that what we thought was fiction is real'. Sometimes fatal.

Fiction Infraction
An unauthorised change of a book's narrative. A very serious offence in the Jurisfiction Penal code.

Looking forward to sharing thoughts and crazy ideas but, of course, I'll be mindful of spoilers. Well, not big ones anyway. <plock, plock>
What about MALE GUILT AVOIDANCE SYNDROME recognised as a medical condition in 2054. :D
I love when she goes on television and then is not allowed to talk about anything but dodos(got to love the dodos).
A Spec Ops 17 operative staking a "Goth" instead of a vampire.
The tv show "Dangerously Dysfunctional People argue Live on TV (chat show) hahahaha lol.

There are so many more but have to finish the book first. :)

Last one, where they need to ask the ChronoGuard a question and the ChronoGuard ring them with the answer before they have asked the question. :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

LOL. This is where I really need to re-activate those smiley faces!!!!!

Every sentence reveals a hidden gem, doesn't it. As you rightly said, one has to think about it, sometimes not too hard, but nonetheless there is that "aaaaah" moment when the meaning becomes clear. You may get more out of it than I did - I'm going to have to re-read it to keep up with you.

Mnemonomorph
An entity who can mould and delete memories at will, from outside of your head, and within. A picture made up by combining incomplete memories is called a Mnemonograph.

Almost sounds like a real medical condition!
Fran

Post by Fran »

@ Gannon
MALE GUILT AVOIDANCE SYNDROME recognised as a medical condition in 2054
I had to lie down in a dark room with a cold compress after that one :lol: