Colleen McCullough

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Re: Go For Gold

Post by Gannon »

Thrilled to bits, Gannon! You like Douglas Adams, too. I own all his books and can still quote things like “The Infinite Improbability Drive is a wonderful new method of crossing vast interstellar distances in a mere nothingth of a second, without all that tedious mucking about in hyperspace”.
Lol :D Good old Douglas Adams he was certainly one of a kind. His writing is unique and hilarious. Have you seen the movie adaptation of "Hitchhikers". I thought that with the budget they had to work with that it was done quite well and Douglas would have been proud. I only own "Hitchhikers" but have read "Restaurant at the end of the universe". I have always been going to get the whole series and never gotten around to it. I will get the other books sooner rather than later hopefully.
And doubly thrilled that you are interested in reading Jasper Fforde! Where to start? I’m all of a tizzy! Well, I got hooked on his very first novel in the Thursday Next series “The Eyre Affair” and I think it is best to start there.

I am sure I have heard of this novel somewhere. I am ordering it today and then I can discuss it with you. Thanks for the link to the review.
"In Bligh's Hand: Surviving the Mutiny on the Bounty", sounds right up my alley, and I am sure Colleen will add it to her collection is she has not already. The whole package sounds great. Ahhhhrrrr there are so many books I want to get.

I have just about finished "Witches" and I must say that I am still enjoying it. I think the term is "Brain candy". Its nothing special in a literary sense and its not going to be winning any man bookers or anything, but its not trying to and taken for what it is, its a fun read. I can't wait to start "The water of life", and see what is happening with the wanderers, Mawn and Sianan. I really hope that there is still a real fantasy feel to the last book. I love the whole Celtic Fantasy thing that was building through book two.
Thank you for the compliment, I do enjoy our literary exchanges. Go for gold!
:) You are welcome. I enjoy our exchanges as well. (Go for gold!) lol :)

Ps - I just ordered a signed US first printing of "The Eyre Affair". It is signed "Jasper" on the title page. Whooooohooooo :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:PS - I just ordered a signed US first printing of "The Eyre Affair". It is signed "Jasper" on the title page. Whooooohooooo :D
Jealousy, pure and utter jealousy......!!!!!

(resume thread)

Just kidding, Gannon. I am pleased you've taken the plunge. And in such a spectacular way. Please keep me posted on your impressions once the book arrives.

It's been a social weekend for me and I have a friend's bon voyage party this afternoon so I will again have to say "to be continued" so I guess it's over to you.....
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:
Gannon wrote:PS - I just ordered a signed US first printing of "The Eyre Affair". It is signed "Jasper" on the title page. Whooooohooooo :D
Jealousy, pure and utter jealousy......!!!!!

(resume thread)

Just kidding, Gannon. I am pleased you've taken the plunge. And in such a spectacular way. Please keep me posted on your impressions once the book arrives.

It's been a social weekend for me and I have a friend's bon voyage party this afternoon so I will again have to say "to be continued" so I guess it's over to you.....
I got "The Eyre Affair" off a site called Abebooks. I don't know if you are familiar with it or not, but you can get just about any book you want and it is very reliable. Its connected to bookstores all over the world. All you do is type in the books name and it shows you all the stores that have that book and you can order from any of them. You can also stipulate, signed, hardcover, first edition etc etc.
Now here is my problem. I am getting addicted to buying signed first edition hardcovers, instead of just getting the paperback. I love books, I am a true bibliophile. It is not just the story but the actual physical book that I love. I suppose I could have much worse addictions but I really have to cut back. As I have posted elsewhere on this forum I am going to only buy one signed first edition a month. Starting this month. So "The Eyre Affair" is going to be the only signed first edition this month. :) I just know that I am not going to be able to do it. I will bet you a million dollars that I get at least one more this month. :)
I finished "Witches". I did like it and will probably get the rest of the series. I see what you meant with the love elements of the book. It seemed that 3/4 of the book were the two main characters lusting after each other. It did start to get a bit tiresome. Is that what you meant, do you agree?
Anyway news outside of the book world, I finally crossed off one of my "Things to do before I die list" and went skydiving yesterday. A friend was given a voucher for her birthday and asked If I would like to go along and watch, so I decided to jump as well. Oh my god when we first jumped out of the plane I screamed like a little baby for about 20 seconds of the freefall. I don't know if you have tried it or not but I strongly recommend it. I am still on a high from it now. :)
Well I am off to read "The Water of Life", I have read the first 3 chapters and once again it is looking good.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:I got "The Eyre Affair" off a site called Abebooks. I don't know if you are familiar with it or not, but you can get just about any book you want and it is very reliable.
Thank you very much for this excellent tip, Gannon. There are times in this life when one just has to spurge!
Gannon wrote:Now here is my problem. I am getting addicted to buying signed first edition hardcovers, instead of just getting the paperback. I love books, I am a true bibliophile. It is not just the story but the actual physical book that I love. I suppose I could have much worse addictions but I really have to cut back.
I'm addicted to peppermint chocolate so I'm probably the last person to offer advice. Here goes: Is this addiction interferring with your life? Is it stopping you from sleeping/eating/working? Is it keeping you poor? Are you embarrassed to tell your friends? Are you allergic to paper? I'd hazard a guess and say 'none of the above'. If you can still walk down your hallway, you still adore owning first editions and you still have a valid credit card, my advice is to keep going. But stick with your one-a-month plan. I think we should have one all-consuming passion in life. Do you know a good carpenter? Or can you visit Ikea? If you follow my advice you will definitely need more book shelves.
Gannon wrote:I finished "Witches". I did like it and will probably get the rest of the series. I see what you meant with the love elements of the book. Is that what you meant, do you agree?
Yes, I did mean the romantic side of things. And I do agree with you, Gannon. I'm afraid I now find it tedious when it's done to spice things up but on the whole I enjoyed the novel and have loaned it twice already. There’s no news on the horizon yet regarding a second book in her trilogy.
Gannon wrote:Anyway news outside of the book world, I finally crossed off one of my "Things to do before I die list" and went skydiving yesterday.
Fantastic! I had to re-read that sentence twice! You brave person! I come from a long line of cowards when it comes to rollercoasters, hot air balloons or very tall buildings. Parachuting and/or skydiving is the absolute stuff of nightmares for me. I can fully appreciate the exhilaration - I'd be just glad to be alive. What a rush.....Hey, you should tell moderator Stephen Kingman.

Hope you enjoy reading "The Water of Life"; I'm doing a 10-Question Quiz associated with Jasper Fforde's newest book. Ten very hard quiz questions!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Thank you very much for this excellent tip, Gannon. There are times in this life when one just has to spurge!
It really is an excellent site, probably the best book site I have seen yet.
I'm addicted to peppermint chocolate so I'm probably the last person to offer advice. Here goes: Is this addiction interferring with your life? Is it stopping you from sleeping/eating/working? Is it keeping you poor? Are you embarrassed to tell your friends? Are you allergic to paper? I'd hazard a guess and say 'none of the above'. If you can still walk down your hallway, you still adore owning first editions and you still have a valid credit card, my advice is to keep going. But stick with your one-a-month plan. I think we should have one all-consuming passion in life. Do you know a good carpenter? Or can you visit Ikea? If you follow my advice you will definitely need more book shelves.
:D That is the funniest and best advice I have been given. Thanks a heap. I really do feel better after reading this advice. However I will stick to 2 signed first editions a month. ( :) sneaked it to 2 instead of 1)
Yes, I did mean the romantic side of things. And I do agree with you, Gannon. I'm afraid I now find it tedious when it's done to spice things up but on the whole I enjoyed the novel and have loaned it twice already. There’s no news on the horizon yet regarding a second book in her trilogy.
Yes apart from the overzealous lusting from the 2 main characters :) I did enjoy this book. I think it was the whole history thing, how they are trying to find their origins etc. I will definitely be getting the others in the series.
Fantastic! I had to re-read that sentence twice! You brave person! I come from a long line of cowards when it comes to rollercoasters, hot air balloons or very tall buildings. Parachuting and/or skydiving is the absolute stuff of nightmares for me. I can fully appreciate the exhilaration - I'd be just glad to be alive. What a rush.....Hey, you should tell moderator Stephen Kingman.
You would be surprised. You don't have to be that brave. Because you are so high up, you can not really see the ground well. The worst thing was that the guy I was strapped to counted to 3 very slowly and at each count he would lean us out the door(In my mind I was screaming "PLEASE JUST GO ALREADY" :) ) Another thing was when we got there my guy was packing our chute. I was praying that he was packing it properly. I can cross this off my list but I also have bungee jumping on it. I think this will be much harder because you can see the ground and you can chicken out easier. It is hard to chicken out of skydiving when you are strapped to the guy who is jumping. If you go wear something warm, because it is freezing up there.
Hope you enjoy reading "The Water of Life"; I'm doing a 10-Question Quiz associated with Jasper Fforde's newest book. Ten very hard quiz questions!
[/quote]

"The Water of Life" is great. I am halfway through it. You have to read it. If you don't, I will tell you what happens. It seems with each book the fantasy element is becoming more important. I cannot wait for my copy of "The Eyre Affair" to arrive. When it gets here I think I will jump straight into it regardless of what I am reading. 10 Question Quiz hey, this will test you out (Are you the die-hard fan you claim to be. :D ) Is his new book good are you enjoying it?
I just read the post on the Earth's Children series. I used to have the whole series but I gave the first 2 books to a friend who then moved to England taking my books with them. :( I still have the others but I have to get the first 2 books again. I have heard great things about these books.
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

This time I won't use the cut-and-paste-quote-edit function otherwise I'll be all over the place.

First, it was a nice try, but your lyrical words don't tempt me enough to fling myself out of an aircraft!

Second, I am loving Jasper Fforde’s latest TN novel. And I’m actually reading and re-reading chapters to savour it and make it last. As usual I cannot begin to explain the plot but suffice to say the ‘book’ Thursday Next stands in for the ‘real’ Thursday Next who has gone missing. She teams up with a very proper British robot called Sprocket. The 10-Question Quiz revolves around this particular book. Not as easy as it sounds but you could be right, my die-hard fandom may be sorely tested.

The hardback of Jean M Auel 'Earth's Children' finale is quite hefty and would look out of place with my well-thumbed paperbacks. Yes, I've had books permanently borrowed, too.

Now for my big reveal.....I actually found an address and information for Colleen McCullough.

Primary Address:
Colleen McCullough, P.O. Box 333, Norfolk Island 2899, South Pacific.
Website with fan mail and autograph details:
http://www.fanmail.biz/85381.html
(I've withheld her telephone numbers)
And I encourage you to click on Google satellite map of Norfolk Island.
So small, ocean so big.

Great Caesar’s ghost, Gannon, think of all those questions she can answer via Australia Post.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Nice work Maud, very nice work indeed. Maybe you should become a Private eye or a detective.
I have so many questions I would like to ask her. I reckon, as long as she did not get bored I could talk to her non-stop for a week about Ancient Rome. I read somewhere that she researched her Rome books for 10 years. I have probably over 50 non-fiction books on Rome and I can honestly say that I learnt more about Ancient Rome from her series, and those books are what started my interest in the first place. I wonder if I write to her and ask if she needs someone to look after all her books and keep them in good condition and all in their places etc, or even better become a researcher for her. Oh to be able to sit down with her in her beautiful house on a beautiful island and pick her brain.
I have nearly finished "The Water of Life", it is very good. You would not believe it but Seginus Gallus is still alive and kicking and still going about his evil ways. He is probably my favourtie character. He has major flaws and seems evil but I think deep down he thinks he is doing God's will and you have to admire his survival instincts. He is a very complex character.
The wanderers are in real trouble at the hands of a fairy witch, who thinks they have commited a crime they are actually innocent of.
Did you see that there is an Australian author listed in the final thirteen for the International Man booker prize? His name is David Malouf. I have never heard of him and have not read any of his work. I would like to see John le Carre' win it (I have about five of his books) but it seems most people think that Phillip Roth will win.
I was looking through the six shorl-listed books for the 2010 man booker and there is one that sounds very interesting.
It is called "Room" by Emma Donoghue

Jack is five.
He lives in a single room with his Ma.
The room is locked.
Neither Jack nor Ma have the key.

The novel opens as Jack turns five. Jack has never been outside Room, as he calls it, and althouh he and Ma have access to a TV. Jack believes that everything he sees on TV is make-believe, as far as he is concered Room is the entire world.

This book really appeals to me and as it was short-listed for the man booker it should be good. I think I might have to order a signed first edtion of it. :D
Last edited by Gannon on 05 Apr 2011, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Pardon me intruding on your chat but yet again I learn something at the Forums ... David Malouf an Ausie I did not know that despite having read a number of his works. 'Ransom' I really enjoyed - Priam, Achilles & Hecor a really lovely book. I also read 'Every Move You Make' a book of short stories & I have
'An Imaginary Life' high up on my TBR list.

I can't rate 'Room' highly enough ... a most unusual and original book

Now I'll get to hell out of your discussion :D
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Fran wrote:Pardon me intruding on your chat but yet again I learn something at the Forums ... David Malouf an Ausie I did not know that despite having read a number of his works. 'Ransom' I really enjoyed - Priam, Achilles & Hecor a really lovely book. I also read 'Every Move You Make' a book of short stories & I have
'An Imaginary Life' high up on my TBR list.

I can't rate 'Room' highly enough ... a most unusual and original book

Now I'll get to hell out of your discussion :D
You are not intruding at all Fran. I am so glad that you rate "Room" highly. Just from reading about it on the Man booker site it sounds so interesting. I am definitely going to get it now. I learnt something about David Malouf as well. I did not realise he was the author of some of those books you have mentioned. I have heard that "Ransom" is very good. Thanks very much for the info.

Now get the hell out of the discussion. :D :D :D (only gagging lol)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Hullo there, Fran. Lovely to have you on board! All input welcome! And hullo Gannon.

Where to start? Perhaps with good old David Malouf. He’s a Queenslander. I think he’s been Man Booker Prize shortlisted before, hasn’t he? Maybe since he’s now in his seventies, judges are getting nostalgic and short-listing him more often, especially the Queensland Premier’s Literary Awards panel. I’ve read a few of his novels (loved “Ransom”)and enjoyed his poetry books particularly “Revolving Days: Selected Poems”. I knew he’d written a play but thanks for that tip regarding his short stories, Fran. Must check them out.

Don’t know if I’m ‘emotionally’ ready for “Room” by Emma Donoghue. According to my family members it is apparently devastatingly sad, sometimes uplifting, very imaginative, engrossing and thought-provoking. It lingers in one's mind. One of them said he thinks it will win the Man Booker for sure! Want to place a bet?

I don't think I'd make a good PI. Gannon, you’d make a great research librarian PA for CmcC. Honestly, why not write to her? I’ve written my fair share of fan mail, although not to her. Also, have you ever been to Italy? I’m sure you would put the tour guides to shame. I’m one of those odd people who love the chaos of Rome and the ancientness (is that a word?) of it. I used to stand with my hands on the huge old stone walls, listening and absorbing the atmosphere. Everywhere I’d look there was something real that I’d only seen in history books. And Florence.....well, that’s another story.....

And, Gannon, you mentioned Colleen McCullough’s beautiful house and I remember a Women’s Weekly edition which had her sitting on a period chair in a room fit for royalty. It was an elegant photograph.

Aah, please don’t tempt me with “The Water Of Life”. I’ve got so much happening at the moment, I’d better not be swayed – yet!

Have I covered everything, ladies? I do want to ask about Mary Higgins Clark’s latest but I’ve exhausted my output for the day. Ciao for now.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:Hullo there, Fran. Lovely to have you on board! All input welcome! And hullo Gannon.
I’ve read a few of his novels (loved “Ransom”)and enjoyed his poetry books particularly “Revolving Days: Selected Poems”. I knew he’d written a play but thanks for that tip regarding his short stories, Fran. Must check them out.
You both said that Ransom is good so I will have to have a look at that.
Don’t know if I’m ‘emotionally’ ready for “Room” by Emma Donoghue. According to my family members it is apparently devastatingly sad, sometimes uplifting, very imaginative, engrossing and thought-provoking. It lingers in one's mind. One of them said he thinks it will win the Man Booker for sure! Want to place a bet?
I will take that bet with you Maud. How much do you want to bet? No I can't do it. This is the man booker 2010 it has already been won by Howard Jacobson with "The Finkler Question". Another book I want to get.

My God have you been to Italy and Rome. I am so so so jealous. I really want to see the Panthenon and Trajan's Column and of course the Colosseum.
Aah, please don’t tempt me with “The Water Of Life”. I’ve got so much happening at the moment, I’d better not be swayed – yet!
"The Water of Life" is very very good. As in the rating post I said it ties up all the loose ends of the entire trilogy but still leaves enough material there for more books if Mo'r chooses to do so. Some major characters die unexpectedly and some characters ahhhhhh I am not going to say anymore just in case you do get time to read it. Thanks for putting my onto this series I really enjoyed it.
Have I covered everything, ladies? I do want to ask about Mary Higgins Clark’s latest but I’ve exhausted my output for the day. Ciao for now.
Ladies ? You do know that I am a guy don't you Maud. :) I have not heard anything about MHC, I do have a couple of her old books and consider her a decent author. I want to know about Wilbur Smith's latest book. He is one of those authors whoose book is either brilliant or boring. I hope his new one is of the former. :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:I will take that bet with you Maud. How much do you want to bet? No I can't do it. This is the man booker 2010 it has already been won by Howard Jacobson with "The Finkler Question".
Whoops, you got me there, Gannon! I should have remembered but I can blame my dear old uncle for the eagerness with which he bets on anything! Sort of brings Michael J Fox and Back To The Future II to mind.
Gannon wrote:My God have you been to Italy and Rome. I am so so so jealous. I really want to see the Panthenon and Trajan's Column and of course the Colosseum.
You'd love the Colosseum, even in its ruined state, it is still magnificent.
Gannon wrote:Ladies ? You do know that I am a guy don't you Maud. :)
A thousand apologies, Gannon. I hope I didn't offend you. I usually remain gender neutral on forums but it slipped out. You see, it is a generic family saying, based on Xbox games like "Halo" where prior to battle the tough sargeant says to his soldiers "Let's move it, ladies".

Before I throw myself into a pit of embarrassment, I will toddle off. Hot cocoa and marshmallows sounds nice right about now.....
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

A thousand apologies, Gannon. I hope I didn't offend you. I usually remain gender neutral on forums but it slipped out. You see, it is a generic family saying, based on Xbox games like "Halo" where prior to battle the tough sargeant says to his soldiers "Let's move it, ladies".
Ha Ha :) No offence taken Maud. "Xbox games like "Halo"". Don't tell me you are a gamer. Gaming is my guilty pleasure. I am a little bit addicted to games. Books come first of course but I do love a good game. Especially if it is well done and has an interesting story with good characters. Much like a book actually.
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:Ha Ha :) No offence taken Maud. "Xbox games like "Halo"". Don't tell me you are a gamer. Gaming is my guilty pleasure. I am a little bit addicted to games. Books come first of course but I do love a good game. Especially if it is well done and has an interesting story with good characters. Much like a book actually.
Yes, a tame gamer. I've posted on the thread Tip The Bottle has started. One of the games I enjoy for relaxation is Assassin's Creed and I must say the renaissance architecture is recreated beautifully, which isn't hard I guess since it is still standing, but as you said it's "like a book". Sometimes I make up my own stories as I go along. Does that sound nerdy or what!

On the subject of Wilbur Smith, "Those In Peril" should be out now. I haven't had any feedback from friends yet but I agree, he can run hot and cold and sometimes he's a bit self-indulgent but his research is excellent.

I recently resurrected some old paperbacks and re-read "The Day Of The Jackal" by Frederick Forsyth. Thrilling and chilling without all the modern technology. The pace is different, longer and more descriptive.

Since we are ahead of the rest of the world time-wise, I can wish you a happy weekend.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

"The Day of the Jackal", wow thats an oldie but a goldie. I love the book and the first movie adaptation. Not to sure how I feel about the Bruce Willis, Richard Gere version. A bit too hollywoodfied I feel. (Hollywoodfied, what do you think of that word :D )
I think I will probably get Wilbur Smith's latest. I have most of his books. I love two in particular, "Birds of Prey" and "Monsoon". I have read both of them about three times each.
After reading, gaming is my next passion. I know that I spend too much time gaming, but some games are just so addictive. To my great astonishment, I have not played "Asassin's Creed" or the second one. Don't know why, they both look good.
As we both like short stories I will let you know I am reading "Give me your Heart" by Joyce Carol Oates. It is a collection of "Tales of Mystery and Suspense". I have read six of the ten. Of those six, three are ordinary, two are quite good and one is sensational. Seriously I would buy the book just for this one story. It is called "Smother". A brilliantly crafted short story. I must admit I had not heard of Joyce Carol Oates. Have you heard of her, or read any of her work. Apparently she is pretty big in the States.
Making up stories as you go along. Nah thats not nerdy, just shows you have a good imagination. Well maybe a nerdy imagination. :D Wow that really is the pot calling the kettle black, people in glass houses etc etc etc. :)
I am camping by the letterbox waiting for "The Eyre Affair" to turn up. Actually it looks like it is going to rain I better get my coat. I better go and get back to the letterbox it may have turned up while I was typing this post to you.
You have yourself a fantastic weekend as well. Hang on, its the weekend no post whoooohoooo I can sleep in my bed tonight. :D

Return to “Discuss Authors”