Colleen McCullough

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

I'm Baaaack

Post by Maud Fitch »

Back again, Gannon. My reading took a detour whilst away and I've picked up a couple of Thea Astley's works. Not exactly uplifting (e.g. Drylands) but raw, down-to-earth style. Also, I've been loaned a James Patterson book "You've Been Warned". Have always tried to avoid him although must say this one has got me hooked. His incredibly short chapters could annoy certain readers but I find it adds to the puzzle, the rising tension and overall drama of the story.

What are you reading now? I've given Colleen's men in Rome a short Roman holiday!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:Back again, Gannon. My reading took a detour whilst away and I've picked up a couple of Thea Astley's works. Not exactly uplifting (e.g. Drylands) but raw, down-to-earth style. Also, I've been loaned a James Patterson book "You've Been Warned". Have always tried to avoid him although must say this one has got me hooked. His incredibly short chapters could annoy certain readers but I find it adds to the puzzle, the rising tension and overall drama of the story.

What are you reading now? I've given Colleen's men in Rome a short Roman holiday!
Hey there Maud great to see you back, hope you had a good time away. I must say that I am not a big fan of James Patterson, he seems to churn out so many "average" titles. Having said this I have not read many of them so I might have a look at "You've Been Warned".
I have finished "The Song of the Earth" and I must say I loved it. I love how Caisel Mo'r mixed in the fantasy(the fairies, demons and especially the Cailleach) with the history. I am eagerly awaiting the third book in the mail.
While I am waiting for it to come I am reading "Mistaken" - Neil Jordan. It is shaping up very nicely. I will let you know when I am finished if I can recommend it.
I have also ordered from England two books that I have never heard of. "Romanitas" and "Rome Burning". They are the first two books in a series written by Sophia McDougall. They are set in a future where the Roman empire was never destroyed and Rome is the superpower of the world with an empire which covers the globe. They sound great, have you ever heard of them or their author? What are you reading at the moment?
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Yes, “The Song Of The Earth” is wonderful, Gannon. So descriptive, Caiseal Mor’s mental imagery is brilliant and, dare I say it, better for me than Lord Of The Rings! I just wish he’d write more but hasn’t had any fiction out since his third Knights Templar Holy Grail novel in 2007.

I once went to see Irishman Neil Jordan’s “The Crying Game” and read The Collected Fiction Of Neil Jordon because it contained his early works like “Night In Tunisia”, although that was a while ago, so I would be very interested to hear your opinion on his latest novel.

Don’t know much about Sophia McDougall except that she’s an Oxford graduate and has written novels, poetry and plays. Romanitas is a trilogy, the third book “Savage City” comes out in paperback May 2011. Must say the storyline sounds great! It would be interesting to see how her Rome compares to Colleen McCullough! Then again, it is an alternative world, a bit like how Jasper Fforde tweaks history in his parallel time novels.

At present, I am re-reading “Lorna Doone: A Romance Of Exmoor” by R.D. Blackmore which he wrote in 1869. When I was younger I thought it went on forever, now I’m loving it and 656 pages seems like nothing.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:Yes, “The Song Of The Earth” is wonderful, Gannon. So descriptive, Caiseal Mor’s mental imagery is brilliant and, dare I say it, better for me than Lord Of The Rings! I just wish he’d write more but hasn’t had any fiction out since his third Knights Templar Holy Grail novel in 2007.

I once went to see Irishman Neil Jordan’s “The Crying Game” and read The Collected Fiction Of Neil Jordon because it contained his early works like “Night In Tunisia”, although that was a while ago, so I would be very interested to hear your opinion on his latest novel.

Don’t know much about Sophia McDougall except that she’s an Oxford graduate and has written novels, poetry and plays. Romanitas is a trilogy, the third book “Savage City” comes out in paperback May 2011. Must say the storyline sounds great! It would be interesting to see how her Rome compares to Colleen McCullough! Then again, it is an alternative world, a bit like how Jasper Fforde tweaks history in his parallel time novels.

At present, I am re-reading “Lorna Doone: A Romance Of Exmoor” by R.D. Blackmore which he wrote in 1869. When I was younger I thought it went on forever, now I’m loving it and 656 pages seems like nothing.
Mental imagery better that LOTR. Big call Maud, Big call. :) I really loved it, the whole Celtic history and origins. I am going to make it to Ireland on of these days. Kiss the Blarney stone. :) :)
I am also loving "Mistaken" - Jordan. It is very short and I will finish it tonight. Its about two boys who look just about the same (everyone has a doppleganger in the world) who are mistaken for each other all the time. They come from different areas of town and are really from two different classes. It is written in the form of the narrator (lead character) talking to his twin's(they are not twins) daughter after his funeral. Have not finished it but I sense a big twist coming. Will let you know my opinion when finished. Did you enjoy "Night in Tunisia" because I think I will read more of Jordan's work.
I think the best alternative world novel I have ever read is "Fatherland" - Robert Harris. Germany has won world war 2 and have covered up the holocaust. Great book.
I think I will also track down more of Mo'rs work. Glad you put me onto him. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:Mental imagery better that LOTR. Big call Maud, Big call. :) I really loved it, the whole Celtic history and origins. :)

I think the best alternative world novel I have ever read is "Fatherland" - Robert Harris. Germany has won world war 2 and have covered up the holocaust. Great book. I think I will also track down more of Caiseal Mo'rs work. Glad you put me onto him. :)
LOL, I’ve a friend who says LOTR is equal to the Bible!

This same friend has given me an autographed hardback of Jeffrey Archer’s latest novel, “Only Time Will Tell”. Archer is in Australia promoting this book, the first in a trilogy, which starts 1919 in Bristol. I’m a fan of his short stories and like “Cat O’Nine Tales” with its amusing drawings by Ronald Searle. My bedside table is groaning under the weight of books.....

.....but I will track down “Fatherland” by Robert Harris. Thank YOU for this tip!
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:
Gannon wrote:Mental imagery better that LOTR. Big call Maud, Big call. :) I really loved it, the whole Celtic history and origins. :)

I think the best alternative world novel I have ever read is "Fatherland" - Robert Harris. Germany has won world war 2 and have covered up the holocaust. Great book. I think I will also track down more of Caiseal Mo'rs work. Glad you put me onto him. :)
LOL, I’ve a friend who says LOTR is equal to the Bible!

This same friend has given me an autographed hardback of Jeffrey Archer’s latest novel, “Only Time Will Tell”. Archer is in Australia promoting this book, the first in a trilogy, which starts 1919 in Bristol. I’m a fan of his short stories and like “Cat O’Nine Tales” with its amusing drawings by Ronald Searle. My bedside table is groaning under the weight of books.....

.....but I will track down “Fatherland” by Robert Harris. Thank YOU for this tip!
I am so jealous of the signed hardback of "Only Time will Tell". I collect signed first editions. In fact in another post I was just saying that I am buying too many. StephenKingMan had some good advice and I am going to try and limit my spending to one signed first edition a month. I am a Jeffrey Archer fan but have only read about three of his books. Let me know if "Only Time Will Tell" is good.
"Fatherland" is a seriously good book. After winning WW2 Germany controls most of Europe. Hittler is like an emperor and Germany has covered up the holocaust. America is the only real power that poses a threat to Germany. I won't say any more as it will spoil it if you decide to read it. They also made a movie out of it with Rutger Hauer(from Bladerunner) which is not too bad. Did not get much reading done last night so I still have about 100 pages to go with "Mistaken". I will finish it today for sure.
I am a big fan of the short story. I think Stephen King writes some of the best short stories around. "Twisted" - Jeffrey Deaver is a collection of short stories with every story having a twist in it. It is great, he also wrote another collection of short stories "More Twisted" The first collection is much better imho. I will have to check out Jeffrey Archer's.
Last edited by Gannon on 28 Mar 2011, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Quote "I am a big fan of the short story. I think Stephen King writes some of the best short stories around. "Twisted" - Jeffrey Deaver is a collection of short stories with every story having a twist in it. It is great, he also wrote another collection of short stories "Too Twisted" The first collection is much better imho. I will have to check out Jeffrey Archer's."

Hallelujah! So glad you like short stories, too, Gannon!

In this abbreviated day and age, think Twitter, they are the perfect vehicle for a quick read. I think it takes skill to execute a meaningful story into such a tight package.

Also, it may help with our book storage problem.........
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Hallelujah! So glad you like short stories, too, Gannon!
My old english teacher used to say that it took more skill to write a short story than a novel. I can see where she is coming from, you have to compress everything and try and tell your story in that compressed state.

I have finished "Mistaken" - Neil Jordan and must say I was a little disappointed. It was written well, it just became a bit boring in the middle, and you would have to be blind not to see the twist coming from a mile away. Not terrible just average. I do admit I like Jorndan's style of writing. I am now going to start "A Discovery of Witches" - Deborah Harkness. You have already read this. Did you like it? I hope I do. :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:I have finished "Mistaken" - Neil Jordan and must say I was a little disappointed.

"A Discovery of Witches" - Deborah Harkness. You have already read this. Did you like it?
Well, Gannon, we've both been a bit let down. I'm finding James Patterson repetitive towards the end, it's like Oh Okay Just Get To The Punchline Please. On the subject of Harkness, I did find the romance side of things, er, rushed...no, I won't tell you any more. Remember she is a first-time writer!

On another topic, have you seen the tally of your Colleen McCullough thread? To date, it's had a healthy 910 views.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:
Gannon wrote:I have finished "Mistaken" - Neil Jordan and must say I was a little disappointed.

"A Discovery of Witches" - Deborah Harkness. You have already read this. Did you like it?
Well, Gannon, we've both been a bit let down. I'm finding James Patterson repetitive towards the end, it's like Oh Okay Just Get To The Punchline Please. On the subject of Harkness, I did find the romance side of things, er, rushed...no, I won't tell you any more. Remember she is a first-time writer!

On another topic, have you seen the tally of your Colleen McCullough thread? To date, it's had a healthy 910 views.
I don't want to offend any James Patterson fans out there, but the few books of his I have read(his really early stuff) ends up exactly how you are describing his latest. I won't add it to my TBR list (Phew).
With "A Discovery of Witches" I have read about eight chapters and I must admit I am enjoying it. I don't know if it is the subject matter but so far it has a very Anne Rice feel to it. Being a first timer I am cutting her a bit of slack.
910 views. hahaha basically there are alot of people watching us have an incredibly long conversation. lol :D
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:I don't want to offend any James Patterson fans out there, but the few books of his I have read(his really early stuff) ends up exactly how you are describing his latest.
Gannon wrote:910 views...hahaha basically there are a lot of people watching us have an incredibly long conversation. lol :D
It's probably a good thing we read a variety of authors. That way I guess we can honestly say we have informed opinions. Actually I'm a bit excited because Diane Setterfield's novel "The Thirteenth Tale" has been recommended to me and I like the storyline in the gothic tradition. Do you know it?

LOL we might set some sort of forum record!

It seems rather unusual to me that we have people reading our posts but not commenting. Similarly I've had over 110 views on my Jasper Fforde thread and no replies. It disappoints me every time I see that zero.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:
Gannon wrote:I don't want to offend any James Patterson fans out there, but the few books of his I have read(his really early stuff) ends up exactly how you are describing his latest.
Gannon wrote:910 views...hahaha basically there are a lot of people watching us have an incredibly long conversation. lol :D
It's probably a good thing we read a variety of authors. That way I guess we can honestly say we have informed opinions. Actually I'm a bit excited because Diane Setterfield's novel "The Thirteenth Tale" has been recommended to me and I like the storyline in the gothic tradition. Do you know it?

LOL we might set some sort of forum record!
Hey Maud I just read your post on "Batavia". I was very interested in this book but I was not sure about Peter Fitzsimons as the author. You sound like you really enjoyed it though.

It seems rather unusual to me that we have people reading our posts but not commenting. Similarly I've had over 110 views on my Jasper Fforde thread and no replies. It disappoints me every time I see that zero.
I have not read any of Diane Setterfield's books and I have not heard of "The Thirteenth Tale". If you get it please let me know what you think of it.
Don't be disheartened about your Jasper Fforde thread. I once started a thread about the Gormanghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake and there were no replies for about six months. Then one day there was a reply from a guy who loved the series. Have you read the Gormanghast Trilogy? It is a very dark gothic sort of novel that I think not many people have read.
I am about halfway through "Witches". It no longer reminds me of a Anne Rice novel and you can tell it is a debut novel. I am still enjoying it though. I think that the novel would still work without vampires. Do you think that Harkness threw in the vampires because of their current popularity?
Lets go for the record with this post we may win some sort of prize. :)
Hey Maud, I have just read your post on "Batavia". I was very interested in this book but I was not sure about Peter Fitzsimons being the author. You seem to have enjoyed it though. Is it worth getting?
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Thank you for cheering me up regarding my Jasper Fforde post. Much appreciated!

No, I have not read the “Gormanghast Trilogy” by Mervyn Peake. Yet. You have piqued my interest and I will definitely research it. I was interested in “The Thirteenth Tale” by Diane Setterfield because it is apparently a dark gothic sort of novel, too. Web blurb reads “Ghostly apparitions, moody gardeners, brooding secrets, a thrilling page-turner and visual feast”. Does that sound a bit light-weight and precious to you?

Yes, sadly I think Harkness did throw in a vampire to catch some current readership. I guess a newbie bends to the prevailing trends, or editor pressure.....

“Batavia” was described by author Peter FitzSimons as “a true Adults Only version of Lord Of The Flies, meeting Nightmare On Elm Street”. Nothing lives up to Colleen McCullough’s research into the finer details but it certainly contains the brutality of colonisation gone wrong. It’s a sea-faring adventure, good people suffering under bad, where erroneous decisions were made after the shipwreck. There’s mutiny (by an utter creep), lust, petty cruelty, murder and true survival for those pure of heart who were ultimately rescued. To be honest, it felt sensationalised although it is declared a factual story with old documents to prove it. Also, I did skip some lurid parts. My recommendation should be amended – an impressive dramatisation, a rollicking good read for someone made of stern stuff.

Let’s go-for-gold, Gannon. Let’s set a record with these posts! We may enter the hallowed halls of Forumdom as virtual living legends!
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:Thank you for cheering me up regarding my Jasper Fforde post. Much appreciated!

No, I have not read the “Gormanghast Trilogy” by Mervyn Peake. Yet. You have piqued my interest and I will definitely research it. I was interested in “The Thirteenth Tale” by Diane Setterfield because it is apparently a dark gothic sort of novel, too. Web blurb reads “Ghostly apparitions, moody gardeners, brooding secrets, a thrilling page-turner and visual feast”. Does that sound a bit light-weight and precious to you?

Yes, sadly I think Harkness did throw in a vampire to catch some current readership. I guess a newbie bends to the prevailing trends, or editor pressure.....

“Batavia” was described by author Peter FitzSimons as “a true Adults Only version of Lord Of The Flies, meeting Nightmare On Elm Street”. Nothing lives up to Colleen McCullough’s research into the finer details but it certainly contains the brutality of colonisation gone wrong. It’s a sea-faring adventure, good people suffering under bad, where erroneous decisions were made after the shipwreck. There’s mutiny (by an utter creep), lust, petty cruelty, murder and true survival for those pure of heart who were ultimately rescued. To be honest, it felt sensationalised although it is declared a factual story with old documents to prove it. Also, I did skip some lurid parts. My recommendation should be amended – an impressive dramatisation, a rollicking good read for someone made of stern stuff.
Let’s go-for-gold, Gannon. Let’s set a record with these posts! We may enter the hallowed halls of Forumdom as virtual living legends!
Both "The Thirteenth Tale" and "Batavia" sound like books I would like to read. Do some research on "The Gormanghast Trilogy" before you decide to read it. It really is a dark gothic at times bizarre story. It is the type of book that has its cult followers. One of those books that you either love or hate. I really think I would like "Batavia" because I love that time period with the tall ships and exploration etc. I have the first ten books of Patrick O'brians brilliant series set in the Napoleonic Naval wars between Britain and France. Folio are publishing the series so I am saving up to buy the entire series when it is completed.
"The Water of Life" turned up in the post today. I so want to continue with the series and see what is happening but I have to finish "A discovery of Witches" first. Ahhhhhhrrrrr.
I wanted to ask you about Jasper Fforde. I have never heard of him, but when you compared him to Douglas Adams I am now very interested as I love Douglas Adams. Could you suggest some of his books like which one to start with.
Yes lets go for the all-time record for the longest post. I don't think it will be to difficult we seem to flow along nicely and all your posts have been very interesting. :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:I have the first ten books of Patrick O'Brian's brilliant series set in the Napoleonic Naval wars between Britain and France.
"The Water of Life" turned up in the post today. I so want to continue with the series and see what is happening.

I wanted to ask you about Jasper Fforde. I have never heard of him, but when you compared him to Douglas Adams I am now very interested as I love Douglas Adams. Could you suggest some of his books like which one to start with.

Yes lets go for the all-time record for the longest post. I don't think it will be to difficult we seem to flow along nicely and all your posts have been very interesting. :)
Thrilled to bits, Gannon! You like Douglas Adams, too. I own all his books and can still quote things like “The Infinite Improbability Drive is a wonderful new method of crossing vast interstellar distances in a mere nothingth of a second, without all that tedious mucking about in hyperspace”.

And doubly thrilled that you are interested in reading Jasper Fforde! Where to start? I’m all of a tizzy! Well, I got hooked on his very first novel in the Thursday Next series “The Eyre Affair” and I think it is best to start there. Test the water so-to-speak because they do get deeper and deeper as the series progresses. For instance, his latest “One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing” is quite convoluted and I was concentrating hard. As a librarian once told me, You Do Need To Have Literary Knowledge, Dear. (But I think that is open to lively debate).

He’s also written two novels called Nursery Crimes, a witty, vigorous detective series titled “The Big Over Easy” and “The Fourth Bear” which are both funny and peculiar. My friends seem to prefer them so maybe another avenue to pursue?

This review is insightful:
http://www.scotsman.com/features/Interv ... jp?article page=1

More on Jasper Fforde later.....and I will.....but I have to tell you about a recommendation from my friendly neighbourhood book shop. Author Jennifer Gall and publishers National Library of Australia have released “In Bligh’s Hand: Surviving The Mutiny On The Bounty” (AU$34.95). Dare I say, I think you and Colleen McCullough would like this one. This infamous tale is bound up with Australian history, the best known of which is the mutineers who ended up at Colleen’s place of residence, Norfolk Island. And, of course, Captain William Bligh eventually became Governor of New South Wales. The book focuses on Bligh’s trials and tribulations and apparently comes with copies of handwritten text, maps and illustrations. I’ve been told as seafaring historical non-fiction goes, this is the book.

Haven’t read them but I do know that Patrick O’Brian wrote a whopping 20 books in the Aubrey/Maturin naval series. The posthumous omnibus edition must be huge! Also, "The Water of Life" should be a stupendous finale. You will definitely devour it before me. My double dipping habit has “Lorna Doone”, Jeffrey Archer’s latest and Catherine McDermott’s “Modern Design Classics Of Our Time” on the go.

Thank you for the compliment, I do enjoy our literary exchanges. Go for gold!

Return to “Discuss Authors”