Colleen McCullough

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Stick With The Romans

Post by Maud Fitch »

You're right, Gannon, I will stick with Gaius Julius Caesar, Quintus Caecilius Metellus Numidicus, Quintus Sertorius, Publius Rutilius Rufus and Aurelia!

I read an article in The Australian:

“It's not hard to applaud the growth of Australian popular writing without any desire to see it get too big for its boots. Colleen McCullough and Bryce Courtenay are not Patrick White and Peter Carey, or Helen Garner and Tim Winton, but who could begrudge them their success?”

Fair go, I think they all deserve a big pat on the back!
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Yep, I think that Australia has a number of brilliant writers, who could go word for word with any writers regardless of their nationality. Lets hope we can add Caiseal Mo'r to the list. I don't really mind where a writer comes from if I like his or her style and they are able to tell a great yarn. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

[quote="Gannon"] I don't really mind where a writer comes from if I like his or her style and they are able to tell a great yarn. :)[/quote]

Oh, how I agree, Gannon.

And that's why I smile when I read so much bickering over p-books and e-books. We all have our favourite authors and preferred mode of delivery but for me it boils down to whether or not the story is any good. I think a good read will always be a good read no matter what!

Havagoodwegend.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Maud Fitch wrote:
Gannon wrote: I don't really mind where a writer comes from if I like his or her style and they are able to tell a great yarn. :)
Oh, how I agree, Gannon.

And that's why I smile when I read so much bickering over p-books and e-books. We all have our favourite authors and preferred mode of delivery but for me it boils down to whether or not the story is any good. I think a good read will always be a good read no matter what!

Havagoodwegend.
Absolutely agree with you both .... gender or nationality of the author is of no real interest to me I confine myself to the quality of the writing & as you say Gannon if they are able to tell a great yarn
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Talking about good old yarns. I am about three chapters into "The Circle and the Cross", and it is looking good. It actually has a very Colleen McCullough feel to it, probably why she recommended it. It is pouring rain here, I have a nice hot cup of coffee sitting on the verandah with my feet up reading a great book. Heaven. :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Envious, Gannon, so envious...!!

And now from the home of Colleen McCullough:

Norfolk Island is subtropical, mild and has little seasonal temperature variation. It is presently 24 degrees celsius with humidity 44%, a haze and easterly wind of 35 km/h. And the weather forecast remains unchanged over the next four days.

Quick, where's my book, hat and the nearest hammock!!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:Envious, Gannon, so envious...!!

And now from the home of Colleen McCullough:

Norfolk Island is subtropical, mild and has little seasonal temperature variation. It is presently 24 degrees celsius with humidity 44%, a haze and easterly wind of 35 km/h. And the weather forecast remains unchanged over the next four days.

A hammock. What a fantastic idea Maud. I think I might try and rig one up on the verandah. :) I would love to live on beautiful Norfolk Island. Buy a house next to you know who and just keep popping over, maybe even get an early look at what she is writing at the moment. In my mind I am already there haha :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:
A hammock. What a fantastic idea Maud. I think I might try and rig one up on the verandah. :) I would love to live on beautiful Norfolk Island...In my mind I am already there haha :)
Dreams do come true, Gannon - or take the bull by the horns and book a holiday with your local travel agent. I seem to remember that Colleen McCullough turns up at a lot of local events, e.g. murder trial!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:
Gannon wrote:
A hammock. What a fantastic idea Maud. I think I might try and rig one up on the verandah. :) I would love to live on beautiful Norfolk Island...In my mind I am already there haha :)
Dreams do come true, Gannon - or take the bull by the horns and book a holiday with your local travel agent. I seem to remember that Colleen McCullough turns up at a lot of local events, e.g. murder trial!
I might just do that Maud. I really think that she would be one of the most interesting people to talk to. I would try to convince her to start writing historical fiction again, maybe another series set in Rome. Maybe she could write about the war between Antony and Octavian, or leave the republic and write in the empirical times. A series about one of the despot rulers, Caligula or Nero. There is so much material there she could easily do a another series of eight or nine books. I have read that there are alot of fans who would like her to do something like this, but she has said that the first one took so much time and research that another one would not be likely. Let me know if there are any questions you would like to ask her and I will ask here when I meet her. :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:Let me know if there are any questions you would like to ask her and I will ask her when I meet her. :)
That's what I like, Gannon, a positive attitude!

So totally keen on a series about despot rulers Caligula or Nero. I think she could really let her hair down with either of those bad boys.

My mind is awash with questions but initially I would ask if she has considered a co-author. A few of the elder statesmen of writing are doing that now. Often it is a family member, niece or nephew and it takes the pressure off. Then again, I have read that authors complete a series and permanently close the book on it, e.g. JK Rowling.

Let me know when you have booked your flights!
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

My mind is awash with questions but initially I would ask if she has considered a co-author. A few of the elder statesmen of writing are doing that now. Often it is a family member, niece or nephew and it takes the pressure off. Then again, I have read that authors complete a series and permanently close the book on it, e.g. JK Rowling.
Let me know when you have booked your flights![/quote]

Thats a very interesting question. I don't think she would co-author a book, but with her failing eyesight maybe we will see some of the family helping out with a book. She mantains so upbeat and positive and is an inspiration. I cannot think of too many things that would be worse to a writer than losing their eyesight. I will let you know when I have booked my flights (but the way I procrastinate and vasilate it may be a long time away yet :) ).
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:I will let you know when I have booked my flights (but the way I procrastinate and vasillate it may be a long time away yet :) ).
Procrastinate and vacillate, two good words of which I am familiar and will almost certainly use in a sentence to describe myself when I get around to it.....maybe later.....

A couple of friends were talking about Colleen McCullough’s “The Thorn Birds, The Missing Years” TV mini-series made in 1996 which starred Richard Chamberlain. Apparently it spanned 14 years of the novel which were previously left out of the first production. Also, I’ve been told there was a TV series based on her novel “Tim” called “Mary & Tim” made in the US.

Very sad to say I haven’t watched either of them! And I have only dim memories of youngster Mel Gibson starring in the original “Tim”. Do you know the first two?
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Procrastinate and vacillate, two good words of which I am familiar and will almost certainly use in a sentence to describe myself when I get around to it.....maybe later.....
lol :) very funny, I bet you thought that that joke was going to go right over my head :)
I am very sad to say that I have not only not seen them, I have not read the books. They are the only CM books that I have not read. My late grandmother adored "The Thornbirds". I honestly can not say why I have never read these books. "The Thornbirds" is probably one of CM's most known works and I have heard nothing but praise for "Tim". I am adding them to my TBR list now(which is about 11 books long).

I must thank you very much for putting me onto Caiseal Mo'r. I have only a couple of pages left of "The Circle and the Cross", and I have already ordered the second and third book.

I have just discovered two more books of CM's that I have not read, "The Ladies of Missalonghi" and "The Independance of Miss Mary Bennet". Two more books to add to the TBR list.

I am getting further and further behind in my TBR list, and I place the blame squarely on you. The Caiseal Mo'r books have thrown a spanner into the works, I know as soon as the second one arrives I will drop everything and start it immediately. :)
I also have "A Discovery of Witches" on order as well.
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Too many books, so little time.....

I'm no longer a big TV or DVD watcher so I'll probably never catch up with that CmcC series either - but I do recommend the book. Your late grandmother and my late father may have been of the same vintage because he thoroughly enjoyed "The Thorn Birds" too. I remember he had only one quibble and that was mentioning 44-gallon drums because he knew for a fact they didn't exist in that era.

I found "The Ladies of Missalonghi" a reasonable enough novel but it got panned quite heavily because of the similarity to LM Montgomery's "The Blue Castle" although I think, given the storyline, some overlap is inevitable.

My sincere apologies for getting in the way of your TBR list! In fact, I have great admiration for your reading tenacity. You're streets ahead of me! At present, I am half-way through "The Song Of The Earth" chapter 18 and loving it (so far I'm finding Caiseal Mor's style refreshing and uplifting) and half-way through the second (for the second time) Masters of Rome book "The Grass Crown".

Footnote: I will be interstate for a family wedding and be computer-free so may not check in for awhile. Cheers!
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:Too many books, so little time.....

I'm no longer a big TV or DVD watcher so I'll probably never catch up with that CmcC series either - but I do recommend the book. Your late grandmother and my late father may have been of the same vintage because he thoroughly enjoyed "The Thorn Birds" too. I remember he had only one quibble and that was mentioning 44-gallon drums because he knew for a fact they didn't exist in that era.

I found "The Ladies of Missalonghi" a reasonable enough novel but it got panned quite heavily because of the similarity to LM Montgomery's "The Blue Castle" although I think, given the storyline, some overlap is inevitable.

My sincere apologies for getting in the way of your TBR list! In fact, I have great admiration for your reading tenacity. You're streets ahead of me! At present, I am half-way through "The Song Of The Earth" chapter 18 and loving it (so far I'm finding Caiseal Mor's style refreshing and uplifting) and half-way through the second (for the second time) Masters of Rome book "The Grass Crown".

Footnote: I will be interstate for a family wedding and be computer-free so may not check in for awhile. Cheers!
I am definitely going to read "The Thorn Birds". My grandmother had great taste in reading and I am sure your father did too.
The "Ladies of Missalonghi" sounds like it might be a bit ordinary. I will still give it a read (eventually :) ).
I have just finished "The Song and the Circle" and found it to be a very entertaining read. Having read about three chapters of "The Song of the Earth"(it arrived about an hour ago :) ) I think you will get away without reading it. Did they feel very Colleen McCullough to you? If I picked one up and did not know the author I would say CM. There is a real spiritual feel to the first one. The druids are very close to the land and nature.
I don't think you are streets ahead of me. Those Rome books are gigantic. You are doing well.
Have a great time at the wedding, hope to see you when you get back. :)

Return to “Discuss Authors”