Colleen McCullough

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Gannon ... Me again very surprised you are not familiar with Joyce Carol Oates. You really have to read 'We Were the Mulvaneys' (one of the most absolutely brilliant books I have ever read). I absolutely insist you read it please. And of course 'The Female of the Species'

I'll be adding Give me your Heart to my TBR .. thanks :D
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Fran wrote:Gannon ... Me again very surprised you are not familiar with Joyce Carol Oates. You really have to read 'We Were the Mulvaneys' (one of the most absolutely brilliant books I have ever read). I absolutely insist you read it please. And of course 'The Female of the Species'

I'll be adding Give me your Heart to my TBR .. thanks :D
Hey there Fran. Seeing as I trust and respect your opinion and that you absolutely insist I read it :) I will add it to my TBR. (We do seem to have very similar taste in novels). I am surprised myself that I have not heard or read Oates, especially after seeing how many awards that she has won. I really like her style of writing. As I said to Maud, there is one particular short story "Smother" which is just soooo good. When you read it please let me know what you think. Thanks for adding to my ever increasing TBR list, I don't think I will ever shrink it down. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Fran wrote:Gannon ... Me again very surprised you are not familiar with Joyce Carol Oates.
Gannon wrote:Hey there Fran. Seeing as I trust and respect your opinion and that you absolutely insist I read it :)
Two for the price of one......information overload!!!!!

Must admit, I winced when Joyce Carol Oates was mentioned. She is a renowned author so a few years ago I diligently half read “The Gravedigger’s Daughter” but regrettably couldn’t get into it. I think Oprah’s Book Club recommended “We Were The Mulvaneys” once which gave it epic exposure in US. I saw a cover of Oates novella “Beasts” and her work appears in gothic horror anthologies with fairly vicarious covers (I know it’s a bit petty of me because one shouldn’t judge a book by, etc) but I was put off. Now I will have to read “The Female Of The Species” and “Give Me Your Heart” to make up for it! Especially since you and Fran are well read and I respect your opinions.

A great word, Gannon. I will use Hollywoodfied in my next conversation.

Although visually splendid, “Assassin’s Creed” is pretty much a loner’s game, whereas I have a preference for shouting and yelling with friends. Many a bowl of chips has gone flying. Will be seeking out the new “Dragon Age II”. Any thoughts on that one?

Hey, I like your new Roman avatar. An emperor? I’m besotted with Hugh Jackman in all his metamorphoses.
Gannon wrote:I am camping by the letterbox waiting for "The Eyre Affair" to turn up. Actually it looks like it is going to rain I better get my coat. I better go and get back to the letterbox it may have turned up while I was typing this post to you. You have yourself a fantastic weekend as well. Hang on, its the weekend no post whoooohoooo I can sleep in my bed tonight.
LOL and Double LOL. Nearly fell off my chair, Gannon. You have a great way of depicting a reader’s angst when waiting for the next fix. As a matter of fact, I had vivid memories of an old “Peanuts” video where Charlie Brown goes through the same anguish awaiting Valentine’s Day cards. Happily the outcome will be different.

(A bit of spiel here to say Jasper Fforde has a peculiar mind but is an all-round-nice-guy. I hope you won’t be disenchanted with “The Eyre Affair”).
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

I finished "Give me your Heart" and I really did enjoy it. It is very short, if you have the time you can finish it in one sitting. Every story is dark and troubled. No happy endings with this collection.
Fran really likes "We were the Mulvaneys" and I really respect her opinion so I am going to add it to my TBR.
Fingers crossed "The Eyre Affair" should arrive early in the week. I am going to read it as soon as it arrives so I can discuss it with you.
Dragon Age 2 is great. It really is like you are the main character in a novel. You interact with all these characters and the game changes and progresses depending on the choices and conversations that you make. You can finish it, then play it again and make different choices and its like a different game. I really think you would like it.
My new avatar is a bust of Caesar(the last one was Sulla). It is one of my favourites of the old dictator. I like your new one as well. I thought as soon as I saw it that you must be a Hugh Jackman fan(or a Wolverine fan :) ) I really like Hugh Jackman, he is such a good actor and a big star but he seems so down to earth when you see him in interviews. A great ambassador for us aussies. He is not Hollywoodfied. :D
I love "Peanuts". Growing up I had all of the books and comics. Some of Snoopy's characters crack me up. The world war 1 pilot, the golfer, Joe Cool etc. My brother has all of the videos in this collector's edition. I can remember the one you are talking about with Charlie Brown. Hahaha I think I might go back and read some of the comics, they never get old they are timeless.
I am currently reading "Saving Max" by Antoinette van Heugten. I think it is her debut novel. It is not to bad. It is about an Attorney who is trying to make partner at her law firm while her son is very sick with many mental problems. Won't say any more in case you ever read it, however I have just got to a part which is so unrealistic it has almost put me off the book. I will still finish it though. I am like that I always finish a book even if I don't like it. Its like a phobia, I feel bad if I leave a book unfinished.
Hope you are having a great weekend. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

It was a lovely weekend, thank you. The hot, humid temperature is easing slowly and giving way to calm and fragrant Autumn. Particularly lovely after our horrendous New Year flooding.

You and Fran are great readers and I value that, so I will definitely read “We Are The Mulvaneys” and upgrade my opinion of Oates. From the sound of it, “Give Me Your Heart” is one I’d have to read on a good day.

Will have to check out “Dragon Age II”, it sounds like my kind of game. And you’ve made me all nostalgic for good ol’ Charlie Brown. I cried when I heard Charles M Schulz passed away because his characters were very much entwined with my life.

I have heard of "Saving Max" by Antoinette van Heugten but not checked it out. I like supporting debut novels and usually I’m not disappointed. Whilst I agree with Life Is Too Short For Bad Books, I also agree with you on the ‘must read book at all costs’ feeling. It’s as if there will be a surprise twist I’ll miss if I don’t keep going. The eternal hope that the author will redeem themselves in the final chapter!

Hail, mighty Caesar. And all hail Hugh. I agree, Gannon, he is an honest, genuine bloke with many good sides to his persona as well as an impressive acting portfolio. The only movie of his I was so-so about was “Australia”, although I know Nicole Kidman fans who saw it ten times.

Since I prize Australian authors, this is probably a good time to mention Markus Zusak. I loved “I Am The Messenger” and will shortly embark on “The Book Thief”. I’ve just heard he has an omnibus “Underdogs” coming out in September as well as a new novel “The Bridge Of Clay” so I’d better start saving my pennies. What do you think of him?

Any sign of Jasper and his affair with Jane Eyre?
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Howdy there Maud. Talking about Charles M Schulz, and this is just between you and I. I had a bit of a tear in my eye as well when I heard the news of his passing. Snoopy was a big part of my life as well. Who would have thought that some of the comics which were only about 4 frames long could make you laugh out loud. Every character in the cast was great, they felt so alive. At least Mr Schulz leaves us with his timeless cartoons as his legacy.
I like to give budding debut novalists a chance as well. But the best thing I can say about "Saving Max" (and I am about 3/4 of the way through it) is that it is very average and some parts of it are so unrealistic that you have to laugh. Having said that I can see it being made into a big Hollywood movie with Angelina starring.
I actually thought "Australia" was terrible. It just did not live up to all the hype that was flying around about it. The only part I liked was the bar fight right at the beginning. You want to see a brilliant movie with Hugh in it, "The Prestige". It also has Christian Bale and David Bowie and Michael Caine. Being the big Jackman fan you are you have probably already seen it. My brother told me that the director also directed "Memento" and "Inception". These three movies are in my top ten favourites. Please tell me you have seen "Memento" it is a masterpiece. Alot of people don't like it saying it is too complex to enjoy but I love it. Another aussie "Guy pierce" does a fantastic job with the lead role. I also loved "Inception", I am a big Leonardo fan.
I think I have posted before somewhere about "The Book Thief". I have read it three times. I know that I am saying brilliant alot but it is brilliant. I am sure you will love it. I have all my favourite books in the "Number 1" bookshelf. When I finished "The Book Thief" it went straight to the Number 1 shelf. I have not read "I am the Messenger", I will have to get it. If his other books are as good as "The Book Thief" I think he may be an author that I will collect.
Going by my calculations Jasper should turn up today or tomorrow. I can't wait to get stuck into it.
Well I have done it again. I told you I would. I ordered another signed first edition. I could not help myself. I have ordered "The Man who loved books too much." Have you read it, it sounds great.
Wait a minute I can hear the posties bike, is it, is it, I think it is. Oh crap its just some dork on a scooter. :(
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:Well I have done it again. I told you I would. I ordered another signed first edition. I could not help myself. I have ordered "The Man who loved books too much." Have you read it, it sounds great.

Good grief, I didn’t know Allison Bartlett’s "The Man Who Loved Books Too Much” is non-fiction. Here’s me thinking it was quirky fiction but it’s based on fact. I’ve just watched her on YouTube. Wow, really fascinating! You’re in for a good read by the sound of it. (PS: <whisper>If you tell me in confidence that it is actually written about you, I promise I won’t tell anyone <wink>). However, you pay for them and he doesn’t.
Gannon wrote:Wait a minute I can hear the posties bike, is it, is it, I think it is. Oh crap its just some dork on a scooter.
As you many have noticed, I don’t use smiley faces so you will just have to imagine me cracking up big time! Another quotable quote “...just some dork on a scooter”.

Yes three times; “Inception” (any pet theories on the ending?), “The Prestige” (also adore Michael Caine) and “Memento”. How could you not love Guy Pearce in “Memento”? Confusingly brilliant storyline, I puzzled over it for ages. It is a reoccurring theme now, e.g. back and forth, in and out of timelines. The only name you wrote about whom I don’t much like is Christian Bale. Can’t forgive him for his Batman portrayal. Ah, memories of dear Heath Ledger...

But wait, was that the sound of our views tally clicking over? Or was it the sound of something being pushed into a letterbox?
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Howdy Maud, first up I just have to say "The Eyre Affair" turned up about two minutes ago. I am so excited. I just read the blurb and it sounds soooo good, alot like Douglas Adams. I am half-way through "Empire of Silver" but I am going to switch to "The Eyre Affair" and finish Silver after it.
"The Man who loved books too much". hahaha you are dead right it could be me. I now class my book collecting as an addiction rather than a hobby. I can just see myself living on the streets surrounded by this enormous pile of books. :)
I am so glad that you are a fan of Memento. I truly love it. You really have to watch it a couple of times to truly appreciate it. Inception, don't get me started on Inception, brilliant in every aspect, story, directing, cinamatography, Special effects. In regards to the ending, which part are you not sure of?
With regards to Christion Bale. You are on side with my friends. They don't like him either. I reckon he is the best Batman ever.(I think I am using the word "regards" too much). Heath Ledger what a waste of life and talent. It reminds me of Brandon Lee killed on the set of "The Crow", which is one of my all time favs. Imho I think he would have shot to fame after his performance in "The Crow".

But wait, was that the sound of our views tally clicking over? Or was it the sound of something being pushed into a letterbox?

Hahahaha you must be psychic. :)
I am off to start reading "The Eyre Affair".
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:Howdy Maud, first up I just have to say "The Eyre Affair" turned up about two minutes ago. I am so excited. I just read the blurb and it sounds soooo good, a lot like Douglas Adams.[break] Hahahaha you must be psychic. I am off to start reading "The Eyre Affair".
Wow, I’m excited, too. It’s like when I was young and someone was opening presents at their birthday party and everyone was so hyped they wanted to help rip open the gift wrapping!

What cover image did you get? There’s the UK and US versions and it’s different again for the paperback. Jasper Fforde has actually asked if anyone is in possession of a special edition which they may like to swap, let him know. This is not a hint! He has his own library and is trying to complete his Thursday Next section. Just think of all the other language editions as well.

Tip: Read the names out loud. This helps, especially in the next Next books.
Gannon wrote:"The Man who loved books too much". hahaha you are dead right it could be me. I now class my book collecting as an addiction rather than a hobby. I can just see myself living on the streets surrounded by this enormous pile of books.

Well, Gannon, I could think of worse ways to sleep on the streets! You’d have a ready-made shelter of high quality material – and be the best read homeless person in the alleyway! (On a serious note, there is a library started by Sarah Garnett called The Benjamin Andrew Footpath Library. A Footpath Library is where books are laid out on city pavements and disadvantaged people can take them. It went from Sydney to Melbourne and there’s one in Brisbane now. No shelves, no late fees, no returns, no library card, no questions asked. It’s a brilliant idea to help the underprivileged who otherwise may not get to read a book. Apparently self-help books are high on the list, and I’m not joking).

Will pick up on our other discussions again later but in the meantime.....

Read on, read on, and then we can have a post-modern discussion regarding Jasper Fforde’s intertextuality (or blatant rip off) in his ffirst fforay into speculative ffiction.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Howdy howdy Maud. I am loving "The Eyre Affair". Fforde's style reminds me so much of Douglas Adams. The cover I got is of a blue sky with clouds and in the middle there is a rectangle with a person walking into a book. The back is a dictionary page with Thursday Next circled in green, and don't forget on the title page he has signed and underlined "Jasper". It is the first american edition.
I can tell that I am going to get all the Thursday Next books. Thanks a heap for putting me onto them. :)
It seems so bizarre that Jasper Fforde is trying to complete his collection of his own books. You would think that he would be the first person to get a copy.
Read the names out loud, nice tip, I wil do so.
Best read homeless person lol :) . With my luck I would end up in an allyway of homeless readers and everyone would steal my books. I can just see one of them coming back after finishing a book and asking, "Have you got any of those Twilight books?" :)
The Footpath library is such a fantastic Idea. Its one of those ideas that you think, why hasn't anyone thought of this before. Kudos to Sarah Garnett. Self-help books hight on the list lol :) . I should not laugh, but it is funny.

Read on, read on, and then we can have a post-modern discussion regarding Jasper Fforde’s intertextuality (or blatant rip off) in his ffirst fforay into speculative ffiction
Wow great sentence there Maud. Alliteration with not only a single F but double F's. Nice work. Don't worry I am flying through "Eyre". (Flying through Eyre, get it Eyre, air) I can just see anyone following this post thinking "Oh my god, that is so bad". I will let you know when I have finished and we can start the discussion.

Hey Maud, I am up to chapter 24 and loving every sentence. I think what makes it so good for me is the subtle humour that invades just about every page. Can't wait to finish it and order the next one.
Thanks for the tip with the names, I think my favourite would have to be Jack Schitt. hahaha I can't stop smiling every time I hear that name. :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:Howdy howdy Maud. I am loving "The Eyre Affair". Fforde's style reminds me so much of Douglas Adams. The cover I got is of a blue sky with clouds and in the middle there is a rectangle with a person walking into a book. The back is a dictionary page with Thursday Next circled in green, and don't forget on the title page he has signed and underlined "Jasper". It is the first american edition.

I can tell that I am going to get all the Thursday Next books. Thanks a heap for putting me onto them. :)
My pleasure, Gannon, I am sooooo very glad you are enjoying it!!!!! I'm confident you will have no trouble getting into its nuances and subtleties. Some people think the story is wacky and give up. Of course, they are the type who love blood and guts! I can honestly say I'm hooked and have read all Jasper's books, even the YA "The Last Dragonslayer". (If you borrow an audio book of his from the library, as opposed to buying one at an exhorbitant cost, I can say the British narrators do a very good job. I did this with his second TN novel "Lost In A Good Book" and my chores went twice as fast).

Yes, apparently Jasper didn't get all the print runs from the publisher and missed out on a few reprints, etc. For example, your book (of which I am extremely jealous) is a different cover to the UK edition. Same as the paperbacks, I gave up trying to sort out that lot. Some of the Aussie ones are slightly altered, too.
Gannon wrote:Wow great sentence there Maud. Alliteration with not only a single F but double F's. Nice work. Don't worry I am flying through "Eyre". (Flying through Eyre, get it Eyre, air) I can just see anyone following this post thinking "Oh my god, that is so bad". I will let you know when I have finished and we can start the discussion.
You have a poetic Eyre, Gannon! Suggestion time. Would it be more appropriate if we conducted a Jasper Fforde dissection on my thread? Just a thought. Perhaps we could keep the two authors separate but continue discussions on both. I'm keen. What do you think?
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Poetic Eyre, nice one Maud. :) I think that to move our discussions about Jasper Fford to your post is a great idea. It might suck some Closet Fford fans out of the woodwork.
I must admit that I am not a big fan of audio books. I can't seem to concentrate on the story. My mind wanders off onto other things. I know some people love them. I have a friend whose parents live out in the country and every time she goes to visit them she stocks up on the latest audio books and listens to them on the trip. I went with her once and could not take it, I had to put some music on. The only time I have enjoyed someone else reading to me was back in grade six. Our teacher each afternoon would read a chapter from the Tripod trilogy to us. He was really good and we would look forward to his little reading sessions.
"The Eyre Affair" is definitely wacky. I can see how some people would give up. I think his style would not suit everybody. I mean I think he is the type of author who would have a cult following. I don't think he is going to write any general mainstream bestsellers. For me I would gladly jump in with the cult followers. "The Eyre Affair" is the most enjoyable novel I have read in a long time, I was pretty much hooked from the first chapter. I will finish it tonight and then we can discuss it on your Fford post. I am so tempted to get signed first editions for all of his Thursday Next novels. Oh well will have to see how the budget is holding up.

Hey Maud I have finished "The Eyre Affair". Loved it, loved everything about it, ending was good. Please please tell me that Hades is not dead. I absolutely love his character, surely he can't be dead. :( Can't wait to get the next one.
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:Poetic Eyre, nice one Maud. :) I think that to move our discussions about Jasper Fforde to your post is a great idea. It might suck some Closet Fford fans out of the woodwork.

"The Eyre Affair" is definitely wacky. I can see how some people would give up. I think his style would not suit everybody. I mean I think he is the type of author who would have a cult following.

I am so tempted to get signed first editions for all of his Thursday Next novels. Oh well will have to see how the budget is holding up.

Hey Maud I have finished "The Eyre Affair". Loved it, loved everything about it, ending was good. Please please tell me that Hades is not dead. I absolutely love his character, surely he can't be dead. :( Can't wait to get the next one.
Thrilled to have someone else who’s read the book!! I did a cartwheel (which is dangerous in this small space) when I got that JFF alert in my Inbox!! Thank you!! And I'm sure there are a few closet fans and cult followers out there.....to be continued on the Jasper Fforde Ffan thread.

Yes, Gannon, I do agree about most audio books. Often they are read too slowly for my taste. And if you get interrupted it's always a pain going back to the spot where you left off because US and UK recordings have different time spacings. In a car, aagghh, captive audience!!

Now, come on, Gannon, in all seriousness, do you really want me to tell you about Hades?? Do you want me to post Spoilers?? Suffice to say, <mysteriously> wait and see.....
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Hey Maud on an entirely different topic have you heard of the genre "Steampunk". I am very interested in a book called "Leviathan" by Scott Westerfield. The little blurb just says "World War 1 is fought with mechanized machines fighting specially bred creatures. Steampunk is speculative fiction mixed with science fiction and fantasy. Steam-powered robots and computers set mainly in Victorian times. What do you think? There is a list of steampunk novels on abebooks website, some of them sound really good.
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Steampunk. Great name! No, not really into that style of book but always think the newer Dr Who series lean towards that genre. I do love a good gadget!

Have heard of Scott Westerfeld but not read any of his works. Did a bit of checking with friends and they said he has written quite a lot of series, e.g. Succession (‘epic sf’ rumour has it), Midnighters (also in Manga), Uglies, etc. Mostly for teens I think. The Leviathan series you mentioned has two books, “Leviathan” and “Behemoth” with book 3 “Goliath” coming out in August. Must say they do sound pretty exciting. From what I’ve been told, I could handle the Leviathan series but possibly not the others; Midnighters for example is very Sooky Stackhouse, Immortals, PC Cast style and the Uglies series feature 15 year old girl protagonists. Age has mellowed my reading tastes.

Apparently Westerfeld divides his time between US and Australia and that, Gannon, is about the sum of my knowledge. Please let me know if you get any of his books. I’m still ploughing slowly through my own TBR pile.....

(PS: Just fyi, when I reply to a topic I usually untick the Notify box because my Inbox gets rather crowded so please don't think I'm rude if I seem to ignore posts. Of course, JF and CmcC are always on high alert!)

Return to “Discuss Authors”