Virginia Andrews

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
DestinyStarx
Bookshelf Size: 0

Virginia Andrews

Post by DestinyStarx »

My god flowers in the attic series i could not put down, it was riveting. I felt a real connection with each of the characters, although the topic matter is disturbing and taboo, it is an astounding master piece. And her following series of books are just as intriguing, once i start reading i cannot put them down. Simply enchanting :D
Cath

Post by Cath »

I watched the Flowers In The Attic film and I decided to read the book and I thought it was really good. I was wondering whether to buy the sequels or not and as you've said they are just as good, i'm going to give them a read. Have you read the prequel and if so is it worth reading?
pafjlh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pafjlh.html

Post by pafjlh »

I think that if you like the first book in the Flowers in the Attic series that it might be worth it to at least read the second book to see if you want to continue. The funny thing about Virginia Andrews or VC Andrews as she was most commonly known literary wise, when I first heard of her books I thought a man wrote them till I saw the inside of the book to see a woman. Anyway, I use to wonder how so many books were written under the VC Andrews name because I knew that she had died some time back, only to later discover that it was a ghost writer hired by the publisher of her books to continue writing under the pen name. For anyone interested I think Heaven was indeed the last series that she wrote prior to her death.
victoria48

Post by victoria48 »

I loved the Flowers in the Attic series.

I tried reading her other family series but didn't like them.nothing like the Dollanganger family saga!
She made broken look beautiful
and strong look invincible.
She walked with the Universe
on her shoulders and made it
look like a pair of wings.
Ariana Dancu
EDNA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edna.html
Latest Review: Los Vuelos del Deseo by Manelick de la Parra

Post by EDNA »

Virginia Andrews is definitely one of my favorite writers, I've read Dollanganger series, Casteel series, Cutler series, and Landry series (and looking for more series to read :D ). What is kind of disappointing though, is the fact that she actually wrote the Dollanganger series only from the above list, that is to say, although the other series were published under the name of VC Andrews they were in fact written by Andrew Neiderman :? .
victoria48

Post by victoria48 »

EDNA wrote:Virginia Andrews is definitely one of my favorite writers, I've read Dollanganger series, Casteel series, Cutler series, and Landry series (and looking for more series to read :D ). What is kind of disappointing though, is the fact that she actually wrote the Dollanganger series only from the above list, that is to say, although the other series were published under the name of VC Andrews they were in fact written by Andrew Neiderman :? .
I have to say that the movie did not do it justice.

For me it bbecame repetetive.
She made broken look beautiful
and strong look invincible.
She walked with the Universe
on her shoulders and made it
look like a pair of wings.
Ariana Dancu
Alexa_Fernandez

Post by Alexa_Fernandez »

EDNA wrote:Virginia Andrews is definitely one of my favorite writers, I've read Dollanganger series, Casteel series, Cutler series, and Landry series (and looking for more series to read :D ). What is kind of disappointing though, is the fact that she actually wrote the Dollanganger series only from the above list, that is to say, although the other series were published under the name of VC Andrews they were in fact written by Andrew Neiderman :? .
I haven't read her (or his) books in ages. I think the last series was "Heaven." After a while, they just seemed too formulaic.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

V.C. Andrews wrote 4 of the 5 books in the Dollanganger series. She may have started Garden of Shadows, but Andrew Neiderman finished it.
She wrote My Sweet Audrina, which was a stand alone novel until Andrew Neiderman wrote a sequel in 2016.
And she wrote Heaven and Dark Angel. She started Fallen Hearts but Andrew Neiderman finished it and wrote the last two in the series.
He did keep to her style of writing, though, at least until the Orphans Series. That is probably where I stopped reading these books.
If you haven't yet read My Sweet Audrina or the Logan series, I think you'll like them if you enjoyed the others. Like I said, after the Orphans series I stopped reading "V.C. Andrews."
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

I have read most of her books when I was younger. Than just recently I watched her movies from the series and kept wondering to myself. What was I thinking reading all of those, but hey if you like them more power to you
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I really liked the first two books of the Dollanganger series. The third was meh, and the fourth I didn't finish. After it stopped being Cathy's story it was no longer appealing to me.
Riptidemom8
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riptidemom8.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Riptidemom8 »

I read the "Flowers in the Attic" series many years ago. I have thought many times about re-reading them.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
mrsflythe
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mrsflythe »

I have the entire series on my Nook. It was after seeing the movie I decided to read them. I know they made two more (the ghost writer her estate hired) but I haven't read them yet. Now I think I may have to go back and re-read.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I loved 'Flowers in the Attic' and also the immediate sequels, but especially now she's been franchised/ghostwritten, I don't really like the later books, though I'd read them if I had nothing else.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
melleigha
Currently Reading: 30th century:escape
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by melleigha »

I have not read the Dollanganger series, although I have read a bunch of V.C. Andrews books. My favorite series that I have read has to be the Logan series.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I read Flowers in the Attic when I was in sixth grade. It may have been a bit mature, but it was not something that got me in trouble (like Supersitious by R.L. Stine). I found it very interesting and twisted, and my eleven-year-old brain certainly did not expect the twist. Over the next several years, I continued reading the series and others under the VC Andrews name, including My Sweet Audrina. Each series followed the same story arc, and the last book was a prequel to the first, which nicely ties everything together. The last books I remember reading were the Orphans series, and after the first one, I only read them out of loyalty.

The new remake of Flowers in the Attic looked promising, but I have not had a chance to watch it.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Return to “Discuss Authors”