Jane Austen

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
roguexunited
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: After Dark
Currently Reading: Sweet Tooth
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roguexunited.html
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
fav_author_id: 2791

Re: Jane Austen

Post by roguexunited »

I have read must of Jane Austen, the only one I'm missing is Lady Susan and The Watsons, which apparently are hard to find. Personally I find Sense and Sensibility insufferable, mostly because I dislike the characters. My favorite one is Northanger Abbey, even though it is said that Austen died before being able to edit the novel properly, I find that it is lighthearted and satirical. Specially if you are a fan of the classic gothic novels. Austen constantly find a way to ridicule their commonplace elements of the genre.
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
annabear3
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Wild-Cheryl Strayed
Currently Reading: A Little F'd Up: Why feminism is not a dirty word
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabear3.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by annabear3 »

Jane Austen is kinda hard to read. I loved Pride and Prejudice though (((:
<3 Annabear
jesuisamylea
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jesuisamylea »

I am currently reading Pride and Prejudice and I didn't find it hard to get into at all. What I find with Jane Austen's books, along with other classics, is that the right mindset needs to be adopted in order to carry on with it.
I find it easier to sit in complete silence and read these types of books, I really have to concentrate, but I enjoy them.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I'll admit I enjoyed the Bronte sisters more, but Jane Austen is quite the storyteller. Her character studies are very detailed. There's almost nothing she misses about a person she creates.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
Enijmas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enijmas.html

Post by Enijmas »

I first had a proper taste of Jane Austen's world when reading it as a literature text, and I agree whole-heartedly that the language is a barrier for us who live in such a different world. Yet, having been guided into the text of Pride and Prejudice by my literature teacher, I'd discovered that Austen's writing are, contrary to what they appear to be, packed with wit, sharp insights, satirical characters and commentary of her time. It is her purposeful language and character portrayal that had made her books such timeless classics; for who, in their lifetime, will not meet a character as bluntly embarrassing as Mrs Bennet, or as contrarily obnoxious as Mr Collins? With a readiness to find humour on every page, I had since been converted into an Austen fan. (:
mandap24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandap24.html
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst

Post by mandap24 »

I put off reading Northanger Abbey for the longest time because it was Austen's last work that I had not yet read.
I really enjoyed it and loved it's satire towards the gothic novels of the time. I do wish I could have experienced the book fresh and during her time so I could understand some of the humor better.

I was happy to find that I still have to read Lady Susan and The Watsons, though I have heard they're hard to find.

I'd have to say Pride & Prejudice will always be my favorite because it's the book that made me fall in love with Austen and all her works.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I loved Persuasion but I must say I can't keep reading Jane Austen's books one afther the other. I can't take it.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
Reetikal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reetikal.html

Post by Reetikal »

I read sense and sensibility but never Emma. How is that book worth a read? Let me know
mandap24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandap24.html

Post by mandap24 »

I enjoyed Emma, it's one of her longer books though.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I am really fond of Jane Austen books. The first one I read was Pride and Prejudice and I didn't really have a hard time getting into it. I agree that because of the time in which it was written, the type of language it uses can be hard to get used to. Like someone mentioned before, you need the right mind set in order to read an older, classic book. Once you get used to her writing though, they flow very well and become a great narrative of her time filled with wit. I would say they are really worth the read. :)
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

I personally feel that you can't be entirely well educated if you have not read at least one Jane Austin novel :).
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

I just finished Pride and Prejudice about a week ago. I think it has more appeal to females (I think it was the literary version of a "chick flick" 200 yrs ago), but I enjoyed it. Well written, well paced, and interesting and well-developed characters.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
luvnatalia555
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luvnatalia555.html

Post by luvnatalia555 »

She is my favorite author of all time! I've only read Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and Northanger Abbey by her, but I need to get my hands on the others! I think that her books are timeless, and she was incredibly talented (especially for a woman during the 1800s, when it must've been very tough). She introduced me to the love of classics, which I quickly developed after reading Pride and Prejudice (my favorite book). I would recommend all romance readers to give her books a try!
dtaylor519

Post by dtaylor519 »

I have read all Austen books. I particually love Pride and Prejudice and Emma. I think what draws me to her most of all is her wit and detail.
kaycee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaycee.html

Post by kaycee »

i LOVE her books!! my favorites are Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park and Lady Susan

Return to “Discuss Authors”