Stephen King

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
bascomjean
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bascomjean.html

Re: Stephen King

Post by bascomjean »

My favorites are the books in the Dark Tower series. It's more fantasy than horror, and King does a bang up job in the fantasy genre.
beccaboo75
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: Geralds Game
Currently Reading: Forever His A Time-Travel Romance
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccaboo75.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by beccaboo75 »

Gerald's Game is easily my favourite and a good example of King.
Kiubec

Post by Kiubec »

I have read a lot of comments in which people suggest you The Shining, or It, or related popular books. I admit, I hadn't read either of them, I only watched the movies :( . But if there is a movie by Stephen King whose book I read too, that is "Pet Sematary" (pet cemetery) . It's not all that popular, but it develops an original and cool idea. Although I both read the book and watched the movie, I still don't know which of them is more creepy. Good luck!
Eleko14
Favorite Author: Tolkien
Favorite Book: Mary Stewarts Merlin Series
Currently Reading: The Alchemist of Souls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleko14.html
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by Eleko14 »

I have only really read two books of his, The Eyes of the Dragon, and the first book of the Dark Tower series. The Eyes of the Dragon is completely atypical Stephen King, but one of my favorite books of all time. I would recommend reading it after you have read some of his 'normal' stuff, so that you can appreciate the difference. He originally wrote this book for his children, but it is certainly not a childrens book. The Dark Tower book that I read was ok, but didn't catch me enough to make me want to read the rest of the series right away.
VM1138

Post by VM1138 »

I used to read a lot of King just after I graduated high school. I love his early stuff (Salem's Lot, The Shining, etc.), but once his books started getting massive I started to lose interest. I'm a history major, so I'm used to reading massive books, but I reached a point where I just don't think fiction needs to be that long. Usually there was a lot of stuff he could cut out.

I loved the Dark Tower series, too. Most of the books anyway. I even liked the ending. But he's not the greatest writer. There was some really terrible dialogue in those books, but the story was fantastic.
randolphfine
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: For Whom the Bell Tolls
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randolphfine.html
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by randolphfine »

I have yet to be disappointed by any of his books. That being said, I would recommend On Writing. It may not be one as exciting as his novels, but it gives the reader a glimpse into his mind and his history. Since reading that book, I truly have a greater appreciation for his novels.
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco
sglee425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sglee425.html

Post by sglee425 »

Never been a fan of Stephen King books. They just seem kind of boring to me.
ITnker
Favorite Author: No favorites.
Favorite Book: See favorite author.
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itnker.html
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha

Post by ITnker »

The only author that I have read most of his works. Sometimes when reading his books I felt that he was a little long winded, but that has not stopped me from reading his books.
A master in horror novels!
Some of my happiest moments are when lost within the pages of a book!
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha
ConorEngelb
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: On Writing
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conorengelb.html
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ConorEngelb »

I remember reading The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, The Eyes of the Dragon and On Writing when I was about 12. I guess that King was imprinted on me early (thanks, Mom).
If I had to list my favourites, they would be (in no particular order):
  • The Stand
    Under the Dome
    IT
    The Dark Tower series
    On Writing
    The Green Mile
    Apt Pupil
    Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
    The Body
    okay, fine, most of them.
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer
Jenhubb31

Post by Jenhubb31 »

I started with Needful Things and I was around 13-14. I totally loved it, it was not too scary. I think Stephen King is a great author and the books are always better than the movies. I don't think that I have personally watched any movie and read the book and liked the movie better. There is always so much important stuff left out by the directors and they cannot possibly include the whole book in a movie. I have been trying to read The Shining, but I cannot get into it. However, I have read a lot of his books and have yet to be really disappointed.
patnjean
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patnjean.html

Post by patnjean »

I had never read Stephen King because I was too afraid of the scary stuff, but i have a friend that encouraged me because of what a great writer he is. I started w/Duma Key(not TOO scary) and then Under the Dome. I loved 11/22/63. I am now going to read The Shining, since I recently bought Doctor Sleep and want to read the Shining first. I do like that there are so many more I need to read..and I am getting used to the scary a little at a time!
lykewake

Post by lykewake »

My favourite is The Dead Zone. It was the first one of his novels that I ever read and it just really spoke to me.

I find that King's books do vary greatly in quality though. In my own opinion, the novels that he wrote in 80s and early 90s are far superior to his more recent works.
netty142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netty142.html

Post by netty142 »

One of my favorite books by Stephen King is The Talisman. I think it is a very good book for someone who is new to his books because it is not actually a horror but more of a fantasy adventure in my opinion. It will give you an insight into his writing style without keeping you up at night if that is an issue for you. :)
SaraTejani

Post by SaraTejani »

Stephen King definitely ranks amongst one of my favourite authors. His style of writing is so captivating and emotive, and even through different genres his writing is so consistently impressive.
My King favourites - in no particular order:
Carrie
Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (might I just add here, Frank Darabont did an INCREDIBLE job with the movie adaptation)
The Shining
Cujo
The Green Mile
Insomnia
Misery (although this might be a little too gruesome for my taste. I like the psychological horror more so than the physical)
Pet Sematary
luvmybooks619
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luvmybooks619.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by luvmybooks619 »

My personal Stephen King bests were: Carrie, Pet Semetary, and The Shining!! He does write phenomenally great horror!!! I enjoy picking up one of his books every few months.....

Return to “Discuss Authors”