Stephen King

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
wahmrf
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wahmrf.html

Re: Stephen King

Post by wahmrf »

I have his books, and yes he's great. But only when its just him writing. When he collaborates I don't like it
marcklew

Post by marcklew »

yuri wrote:I would choose 11/22/63. Excellent and not like any of his other books.
Though this seems to be an old topic, I feel the strong urge to comment since King is my favourite author by a far (green) mile (pun intended).

Having read all of his books, yes, I would definitely agree 11/22/63 is an excellent choice to start. However, his older books have a darker theme (e.g. IT, Tommyknockers, Dark Half, The Stand) so may not give you a full flavor of his creative juices. That said, I think you'd enjoy 11/22/63 since I almost teared towards the ending. Joyland is another recommendation of mine. I could imagine myself being at the amusement park!

Let us know what you think with our recommendations. Hope you enjoy it!
mpoulson5915
Currently Reading: Personal
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mpoulson5915.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by mpoulson5915 »

I love, love, love Stephen King! He is one of our greatest modern writers. He writes in many different genres. I especially like:

1. Bag of Bones (why do so many hate this book? Is the subject matter uncomfortable)
2. Green Mile
3. The Stand
4. Duma Key
5. The Shining

Did you know that the movie Shawshank Redemption was based on his short novella "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption"?
I love his politics too!
cally
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15126">The Gunslinger</a>
Currently Reading: The Wind Through the Keyhole
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cally.html
Reading Device: B0015T963C

Post by cally »

The Gunslinger is my favorite book by him The Dark Tower Series is one of my favorite series ever! It is like Lord of the Rings meets Clint Eastwood, Indiana Jones and Alford Hitchcock and they had a child!
Heidi-Lynn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-lynn.html

Post by Heidi-Lynn »

The Shining, Bag of Bones, The girl who loved Tom Gordon, JoyLand, Carrie or Pet Semetary.

Any and all of his books are amazing. I have never been let down by Stephen King.

I hope you enjoy his books, remember to keep an open mind

Cheers!
pauljparisi
Favorite Author: King

Post by pauljparisi »

King is my hero. His short stories are horrificly intense. His longer novels can lean on every single emotion i have. His charachters are fantastic and his settings become charachters in themselves. You can not go wrong with salems lot, Needful things, the shining and Carrie. All oldies and goodies. I dont think the movies do the books justice in any sence of the word. In a time before overly sexual romantic trilogys set during the civil war about two vampires with great abs from another world.
ivarun987

Post by ivarun987 »

Steven King has always been characterized as a horror writer, but he is so much more than that. His ability to create a story out of highly improbable situations is what amazes me. His ability to create suspense out of thin air is extraordinary. Books like 11/22/63, Under the Dome, and Duma Key have elements of horror, but none of these books are horror books. I highly recommended reading some of his longer books. They are totally worth it and I hope you enjoy!
kyriakich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by kyriakich »

To be honest, I woould start with one of his early and classic workpieces like Carrie (since you loved his movie book) or the Pet Cemetary. Then I would carry on with some of his latest work, highlighting Mr Mercedes.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I plan to read 'The Shining', though I don't know when. I've only read 'Misery', 'The Green Mile', 'Pet Sematary' and 'Dolores Claiborne' by King.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

I think The Shining might have been one of his best works ever...
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Krystle Duke
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Krystle Duke »

I have read over a dozen Stephen King Novels, but Pet Cemetery is my favorite. The writing flows and there are lots of twists and turns and the creep factor will send chills down your spine.
Krystle

-- 28 Aug 2015, 10:59 --

Hi. I have read at least a dozen Stephen King books, but my favorite is pet cemetery. The writing flows and the creepy factor will send chills down your spine.
Krystle =)
kennyhop
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennyhop.html

Post by kennyhop »

I remember I went through a Stephen King phase, I need to go back. I was once so obsessed.
vpace74

Post by vpace74 »

Marto wrote:I've heard Stephen King's son is a good horror author. Anyone read any of his books? How does he compare?

Joe Hill

His book of short stories was hit and miss for me but I LOVED the novel NOS4A2. I would have SWORN it was SK. I listened to the audio book read by Kate Mulgrew and she nailed the reading.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

vpace74 wrote:
Marto wrote:I've heard Stephen King's son is a good horror author. Anyone read any of his books? How does he compare?

Joe Hill

His book of short stories was hit and miss for me but I LOVED the novel NOS4A2. I would have SWORN it was SK. I listened to the audio book read by Kate Mulgrew and she nailed the reading.

I enjoyed both....also his novel A Heart-Shaped Box. Very good and distinctive style :D
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

@GotThatSwing
Forget his individual books. Read his Dark Tower series.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman

Return to “Discuss Authors”