Overrated Authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Re: Overrated Authors?

Post by Fran »

Has to be Mitch Albom ... I read The Five People You Meet in Heaven after listening to gushing "this will change your life" opinions from friends but frankly, I found it predictible, tedious twaddle.
Anyway on the basis that I was just unlucky with that one I subjected myself to Tuesdays with Morrie and that is it, no more of Mr Albom ... what a load of hackneyed, platitudinous rubbish.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Lhall22
Favorite Author: Sue Grafton
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhall22.html
fav_author_id: 3282

Post by Lhall22 »

I think Stephen King. I've never been a real fan. I've read a couple of his books; Carrie, Cell, IT, his short story The Body and the Shining. I hated IT and the Shining, and only liked Carrie. I actually did like Cell and The Body, but overall I don't like his stuff much.
bascomjean
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bascomjean.html

Post by bascomjean »

I used to think Stephen King, too, Lhall22. But then I read The Dark Tower series and I was in love. I do think he does horror pretty badly; which is funny, since that's what he's known for. It seems like he's just trying to gross the reader out, and I find myself thinking, "Okay, okay, get on with the story!"
Lhall22
Favorite Author: Sue Grafton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhall22.html
fav_author_id: 3282

Post by Lhall22 »

bascomjean wrote:I used to think Stephen King, too, Lhall22. But then I read The Dark Tower series and I was in love. I do think he does horror pretty badly; which is funny, since that's what he's known for. It seems like he's just trying to gross the reader out, and I find myself thinking, "Okay, okay, get on with the story!"
I don't mind the gross out of his books; I just don't think he's all that scary really. I read the Fun house by Dean Koontz when I was young; my mom let me read it haha and that was my introduction to horror. I loved it. to this day the grossness of it sticks with me. King though, I found the books of his that I did attempt to read not really scary, and way too long and boring. Maybe I haven't really read enough of his books to see the appeal...
bascomjean
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bascomjean.html

Post by bascomjean »

Lhall22 wrote:I don't mind the gross out of his books; I just don't think he's all that scary really. I read the Fun house by Dean Koontz when I was young; my mom let me read it haha and that was my introduction to horror. I loved it. to this day the grossness of it sticks with me. King though, I found the books of his that I did attempt to read not really scary, and way too long and boring. Maybe I haven't really read enough of his books to see the appeal...
I haven't read a ton of his books, either. I'm not into horror, but I love fantasy, which is why I really enjoyed The Dark Tower series. Other than those, I've just read Salem's Lot, and The Eyes of the Dragon. I totally agree about the scariness factor. I'd always been afraid to read King, but once I did, turned out he wasn't that scary! I've also read a bit of his short fiction in magazines--good stuff! Not very much like his novels in content. Looking forward to reading the new one--Joyland.
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I think that a lot of popular authors are overrated, or else very hit or miss. We call these authors "popcorn" authors at our house, easy to read, don't require much thought (digestion) and fill the time gap, for a day spent in the easy chair with a head cold perhaps. I am certain my picks have been said previously, but Dan Brown, Stephen King, James Patterson all come to mind. Oh, and let's throw E L James into the mix because Fifty Shades of anything was 49 shades far too many.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
Eleko14
Favorite Author: Tolkien
Favorite Book: Mary Stewarts Merlin Series
Currently Reading: The Alchemist of Souls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleko14.html
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by Eleko14 »

Stephanie Meyer-The Twilight Series is really not that well written. Dan Brown also, his books are well accepted and popular (much like Stephanie Meyer), but he is not that imaginitive or unique in his writing.
mhocking14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhocking14.html

Post by mhocking14 »

perksofbeingme wrote:I'm yet to find an author who is over-rated. But I did read one book that I felt got way more thumbs up than I was willing to give (and this is not going to make me popular) I could not for the life of me get into "On the road" by Jack Kerouac.
I sort of agree. I heard great things about it so I decided to give it a shot, but there were times in the book when I didn't think I'd be able to finish. I restarted it a few times and eventually got into it, but it wasn't something I immediately loved.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Hemingway. I just find him tedious.

From a cartoon caption: "Great Moments in Literature: In 1936, Ernest Hemingway, while trout fishing, caught a carp and decided not to write about it."
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
draganas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-draganas.html

Post by draganas »

Paulo Coelho. Kudos for reinventing hot water and selling it as brilliant.
kelsmercer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsmercer.html

Post by kelsmercer »

I think that John Green is pretty overrated. I think that a lot of the praise revolves more around the videos that he makes. From what I've read, his novels are pretty pretentious and nothing new.
randolphfine
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: For Whom the Bell Tolls
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randolphfine.html
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by randolphfine »

Every time I read a book that has horrible dialogue or just did not suit my taste I have to remind myself. Regardless of my opinion of the author, that person managed to accomplish something I have yet to do: publish a book. Some works are not for me, but I will wait to be overly critical. I don't want to end up on someone else's overrated authors list.
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco
kiwes
Favorite Author: Daniel Black
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: Who Do I Run To
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiwes.html

Post by kiwes »

I'll probably be yelled at but I have to say James Patterson, Stephen King and Mary Higgins Clark. 1) James Patterson used to be an awesome writer, when he first came out, but now he writes with all these other authors, and you can always tell which parts are James because I'm so used to his style of writing. He really doesn't put out quality work like he used to do; 2) Stephen King, to me, gets paid to write by the word, instead of the story. Anytime your book is the size of an encyclopedia, that speaks volumes to me. His stories are pretty good, but I never found his work to be all that great--to be fair, I'm not a huge fan of his work, nothing personal; and 3) Mary Higgins Clark was the queen of mystery/suspense, until she, like James Patterson, started coming out with books every minute of the day. Oh, and let's not leave out, so predictable. OMG, I'm like I could figure out who the killer was in the first couple of chapters and the fight to figure it out was all but gone. I love when an author can confuse me and throw me off my game. I think at one time those authors were great, but they are just "eh" to me now. I really don't purchase any of their books anymore. It would be nice if they would go back to what made them great to begin with, but I suppose notoriety, money and fame has a way of changing your style.
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

I agree with those who've mentioned Hemingway. I find it really difficult to work out why I can't get on with him, especially as many of my favourite novelists write about American masculinity (Roth, Updike, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Yates even) so you'd think I'd enjoy Hemingway.

I've also never got DH Lawrence. He was obviously a very talented writer, in the sense of someone who uses language well, but whether novels, short stories or poetry, everything I've read of his left me cold.
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
KumaOkaasan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kumaokaasan.html

Post by KumaOkaasan »

If we're talking more classic authors, probably Herman Melville. Ayn Rand can stray into that territory depending on how rabid her fanclub is at the moment.

More contemporary? E.L. James, for one, even though I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thinks her books are actually fine literature. Dan Brown, even though his stuff can be entertaining, is pretty overrated.

Return to “Discuss Authors”