Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
kstumpp
Currently Reading: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by kstumpp »

This is like the 'who is a better driver' situation, there isn't a difference unless science says otherwise. People are people, each one has a unique brain and individual thoughts. Take two women from different backgrounds and ask them to write, they'll come up with different stories, same goes for two separate men. Let's leave it as they're equally as good as each other, and each individual has their strong points and weaknesses.
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

I don't think there is a correct answer to this because there are both great men and women writers. I do feel that women could write better in romance/erotica though.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I would definitely agree that both sexes are represented very strongly (and even poorly sometimes). And the more I think about it, the more I also agree that men and women might have a particular genre they may be better inclined too, although there are always exceptions.
Caroline Wintle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-wintle.html

Post by Caroline Wintle »

It doesn't matter to me who is better, it's if the book is good.
Leslie_79
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Leslie_79 »

In my opinion, I tend to think they are equally good writers. It depends on the story line, plot, and content.
KStephens
Currently Reading: Anchor of Hope

Post by KStephens »

Women of course ;)
I think both genders are capable of writing masterpieces.
purvi bhatt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purvi-bhatt.html

Post by purvi bhatt »

I do not think it matters if an author is man or woman. Some male authors may have surprising ability to connect to your innerself just like women. Male authors can make you laugh, they can make you think, ponder anything but very few can make you cry of imotions.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I don't think men or women are better at writing. In my experience, men tend to use descriptive writing a lot more often than women do. In the books I've read by men they will take numerous paragraphs to paint the picture of the scene but women don't waste their time with descriptions of places as much as men do. Both men and women have their own unique way of writing and they both bring different things to the table. :)
BookHipster
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 761">Grave Mercy</a>
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhipster.html

Post by BookHipster »

I don't believe either gender is a better author than the other, but each gender has their perks and pros when it comes to what they are writing. If someone is reading a book where the main character is told in first person perspective and is a girl, then a female writer is better for connecting to the readers because they understand the female mind and how a female thinks and acts, and therefore can convey that to their readers, especially if some of their readers are male. The same can be said to male authors writing about male characters. One of my ex-boyfriends told me that a female can never write a male POV correctly because they don't understand why a male acts or how he thinks. I didn't agree with him at the time, but I can see where he was coming from. Girls are more likely to read books with female leads, and most are written by female authors, as guys are more likely to read books with male leads written by male authors. There are the cases where female authors write male leads, such as J K Rowling, but I don't know many male authors who write female leads (Scott Westerfeld is the only one coming to mind). Many of the romance books I read will have male POV chapters written by a female author, but I haven't been satisfied with these because i don't know how much is factual and how much is the author creating the "dream guy's" mind. Someone stated that women authors are better in writing feelings and men are better at descriptions. I'm not sure if this is entirely correct, because I'm sure there are women who are better at writing descriptions and men who are good at writing feelings. However, I do know that a good author, regardless of gender, needs to balance the two. I want to throw up some times when I read books that are nothing but inner monologue and feelings, dying for some actual plot when I'm suffering through pages and pages of thoughts (that's right Stephanie Meyer, I'm taking about you). However I also don't like it when a book is pages and pages of descriptions. Sure the setting might need some explaining, but if there is too mush describing I'll lose focus and forget what the plot was. So in conclusion there really isn't a "better" writer. Both genders have their strengths and weaknesses, but a good author knows how to put in the best of both worlds and connect with both genders.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I have favorites on both sides. I believe that both men and women can write well.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Nitya
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nitya.html

Post by Nitya »

Mr. Celiacloureiro, you have definitely touched upon a sensitive topic!

I would like to stay away from making this post into a feminist or anti-feminist judgment but would just like to answer the question as it is. It is impossible to determine if woman or men are better writers because it is too broad of a subgroup. You simply cannot come up with such a conclusion as neither groups have distinct abilities special to them and only them that would qualify them as better writers than the other.

While it is true that woman tend (emphasis on the word "tend") to be more in touch with their feelings and men tend (again emphasis on the word "tend") to have more straight forward thinking this alone cannot be used as a determining factor as to who makes the better writer. These characteristics are too subtle and too insignificant. Additionally when keeping this in mind, you can notice that where one lacks the other one thrives. Which again evens out the playing field.

There are several female authors who have written extraordinary thrillers and horrors (Agatha Christie) which are genres that are sometimes associated with male writers. There have also been amazing male authors who have written very popular romantic novels (Nicholas Sparks) even though romance is almost always associated with women.

In conclusion neither women nor men is better or worse than the other.
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

I personally think that male writers add the romance to a story like spices to fries, while female writers toss the fries into the spices. Lol. I don't mean it in the offensive way, but as women are more emotional, they tend to give a larger part of the story to love. Not ALL female writers do that, but most do.

Though it's hard to determine who is BETTER. Male writers like Stephan King and Dean Koontz are good, and female writers like J.K Rowling and Mary Jane Clark are good.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
StainedGlassTiger3

Post by StainedGlassTiger3 »

Neither and both. I don't really care about that sort of thing. Why am I even posting?
Nicolelovesray

Post by Nicolelovesray »

I think both are equally good.
I've found myself in love with books from both sexes.
It honestly depends on there skills not there gender.
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

Both genders write very well, I don't think there is a huge difference except I noticed something in my creative writing club from high school: the boys always tended to be the ones who wrote more emotional, depressing, and deep writings than the girls.

Return to “Discuss Authors”