Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Re: Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by Dando »

I’m happy to see many people speaking out gender equality in this forum!
To suggest that there could possibly be an entire gender that is better than the other at writing is really just sad and outdated. And for those who are trying to mask their sexism by saying that men and women have different strengths in different genres, I am very sorry to hear that you don’t seem to understand anything about how gender is learned and preformed. The myriad of institutional inequalities to which you all are referring are not inherent gender differences, they are injustices. If you don’t understand that – that you are citing these differences to some sort of truth rather than to the social inequalities that produce and perpetuate them – then you should read a book.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I honestly for some weird reason read books all from women
Beverly Lewis,Wanda E.Brunstetter,Lynn Austin,Edie Claire,Kathleen Morgan and on and on and on
So really the only books that I read are by women and boy can I tell you,they are really good,well crafted and well written!Go woman!
P.S.I am a woman writer myself!
P.P.S.I am cheering women on but I do want you to understand that I believe men writers are extremely good too(Nicholas Sparks,Dale Cramer) so it really boil down to women and men authors are equal and have a equal enough chance to write good books!
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

I don't think it matters, as long as the book is great :D
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
jmeza10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmeza10.html

Post by jmeza10 »

I think that it depends on the genre that you are reading. Men are great with situations and dealing with them, women however are all about emotions and how does that make you feel. If i want to read a romance novel i'll more likely read from a female author and if i want blood, guts and gore men are the way to go. Usually i don't really pay attention to the authors gender when reading but i have noticed a trend of this happening.
“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power" — David Brin
cmp librarian
Favorite Author: Karren Hancock
Favorite Book: The Bible
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmp-librarian.html
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry

Post by cmp librarian »

I think writing is a talent and gift.... some individuals have it and some don't. Just like some people are good at sports and some aren't, or some get A's in school and others struggle through school. It has nothing to do with sex, but everything to do with the unique abilities of the individual. There are amazing writers who are from both genders - just as there are some terrible writers from both genders. I believe it boils down to the abilities and gifts of the person doing the writing.... are they talented or not? The gender is a completely different thing and plays no part in making them a good writer.
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I think that it doesn't really matter. If they write well, they write well. Sometimes, I feel as though women would write better romance, but that would be lying, because Nicholas Sparks is fabulous!
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

It makes sense to speak of gender issues when we're speaking of palpable subjects, such as wages, accessibility to health and services, education, etc.
Art-wise I think that nowadays it's pretty even for both sexes. What is so wonderful about books is how we enter someone's mind and this is inherently connected to how we view our identity. If we indentify ourselves as women, we're almost doomed to see certain things in a certain way, and the same goes the other way around.
Regarding rights or privileges, both sex are even, I don't remind any uncomfortable situation in the writing world. The best about the obvious difference in sex and identity casualities is the variety of thoughts and mentalities we get from there, that branches up to soooo many new possibilities.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

I'm an " equal-opportunity " reader............QUALITY trumps GENDER, one better than another? BALDERDASH! :roll:
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
fifthmayfly
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Favorite Book: The Hot Zone and Divergent Series
Currently Reading: The Wolf Princess
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifthmayfly.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Post by fifthmayfly »

I honestly think this is a silly question. Of course woman are sometimes better at "expressing emotions" but that doesn't mean men can't write about them equally as well as women. It depends on the author, of course.
shilalekh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilalekh.html

Post by shilalekh »

celiacloureiro wrote:Personaly, I believe man are better in describing situations, women describing feelings.
Hey, I think it's unfair to decide on basis of gender. Two names come to my mind - Agatha Christie and Sidney Sheldon. What do you say?
darkhuntress
Currently Reading: City of Lost Souls
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkhuntress.html

Post by darkhuntress »

I don't think it really matters if the writer is male or female, they are both good writers and equally talented. As long as their books are good and they have fans it doesn't matter what their gender is.
"Fear in a name, only increases fear in the thing itself"
nina7210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina7210.html

Post by nina7210 »

That is hard I would love to say women big time when it comes to love and feelings however I love nicholas Sparks he is one of my favorites. I do still believe that women are better when it comes to feeling and love unless you have some like nicholas Sparks.
Miss_Jane2014
Currently Reading: Better Off Dead by H.P Mallory
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-jane2014.html

Post by Miss_Jane2014 »

Truly, some of the best books I have read were written by authors of both genders. I don't think that gender really has much to do with their skill for writing.
Mariah Porter
Favorite Author: Shannon Hale
Favorite Book: Goose Girl and the Fablehaven series
Currently Reading: Mistborn+Sky Jumpers+Wild Swans
fav_author_id: 4972

Post by Mariah Porter »

Clearly it's women, because I'm a woman and I'm a fantabulous writer ;)
Just kidding. I can't say that because I'm not published yet, but one day the world shall know it!
I'm honestly not sure. I don't even know who I read more books by. I have two main favorite authors and one is a guy and one is a girl. You know what, I think we just shouldn't even be sexist. We can't categorize men or women as better. Why didn't that cross my mind sooner? Probably because I'm so tired... Anyone can be a better writer! Gender doesn't make a difference--talent, practice, and effort do!
readerromance2003
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: Dark Magic
Currently Reading: Red
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerromance2003.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by readerromance2003 »

As a child I would say men how every as I have gotten older I tend to lean towards women authors but I will still read some men authors.

Return to “Discuss Authors”