Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
acasto
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 85">King's Warrior</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acasto.html
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford

Re: Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by acasto »

I think women. Women are naturally better at multi-tasking, and I think they are better at giving an overall view of every character, setting, and situation than do men. Of course, there are exceptions.
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford
howard718
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howard718.html

Post by howard718 »

Is this a false debate or equivalent to the bifurcated, non-dilemma posed as, Would you rather be shot or stabbed. Are we really talking about who is better, rather than a more nuanced exchange around what genders bring to the writing and how does it show up and to what degree are you more drawn to particular men and women writers. really do we have to allow a poorly framed question to force us into topics not worthy of debate.
kasi33
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasi33.html
Latest Review: "Men's Guide To Trouble Women" by Jonathan ago

Post by kasi33 »

I am a woman, so I am writing from a woman's point of view. It is my experience that women strive to understand the male point of view more then men, or at least more openly than men. I, of course, live in a small suburban area in the corner of the US, so my experience of others is limited, and I am in my late twenties, so my wisdom is somewhat short sighted. I have enjoyed equal parts of writing from both genders. One is no better than the other, rather, they are both amazing, and writing would be forever doomed by the absence of works by either gender.
Latest Review: "Men's Guide To Trouble Women" by Jonathan ago
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

howard718 wrote:Is this a false debate or equivalent to the bifurcated, non-dilemma posed as, Would you rather be shot or stabbed. Are we really talking about who is better, rather than a more nuanced exchange around what genders bring to the writing and how does it show up and to what degree are you more drawn to particular men and women writers. really do we have to allow a poorly framed question to force us into topics not worthy of debate.
Completely agree. Well said, so I won't repeat it. What a silly question.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

I find that I relate more to characters written by female writers, probably because I am a female.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
Girly3323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-girly3323.html

Post by Girly3323 »

I think men & women can both write well. I prefer to read books by women because I relate to the way they write (since I'm a girl), and how they tell the story.
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

I prefer to read books written by women. That being said I feel like I should disclose that two of my favorite authors are men.

Don't really know what that means, but there you go...
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
autumnmarie
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnmarie.html
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by autumnmarie »

This is quite subjective of me but I find that I enjoy thrillers, murder mystery's etc. by men and romance and situational comedies done by women. Yet, there are exceptions like John Green and Veronica Roth...but based based purely on my experience with writers I love Dean Koontz and Neil Gaiman for men and Sophie Kinsella and Jane Green for women.
"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book!" -Jane Austen Pride & Prejudice
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

howard718 wrote:Is this a false debate or equivalent to the bifurcated, non-dilemma posed as, Would you rather be shot or stabbed. Are we really talking about who is better, rather than a more nuanced exchange around what genders bring to the writing and how does it show up and to what degree are you more drawn to particular men and women writers. really do we have to allow a poorly framed question to force us into topics not worthy of debate.
Well, if I'm going to die then shot, but if the level of injuries aren't specified in the question then I'll take my chance with a stabbing... :wink: But, yes, entirely agree about the men vs women debate.
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
tangowithParis

Post by tangowithParis »

I've never considered this question. I don't have a favorite color either. I do have
an analysis of my reading habits though. I read mostly non-fiction and fact based
fiction. And the last book I read by a female author was To Kill A Mockingbird, the
year it was published. I take that back. I've read Reflections in A Golden Eye and
The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. I don't thinking I'm bragging or raging at the bully pulpit, when I say my perspective of the world is decidedly male. So
I'm going to gravitate toward someone who shares my perspective. Better or lesser
doesn't figure into to it.
ekatemari
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekatemari.html

Post by ekatemari »

I don't think gender has anything to do with it – how people are treated at a given point in time due to their gender will no doubt influence their style, but I don't think it's fair to say whether one is better than the other, and even given society's influence there will always be anomalies. Further to that, more genders exist outside the binary. People are different, that's all, and because of that, even if it may be reliable to say that men/women are more likely to write like such-and-such, it would be foolish to assume that all men, women or anyone else will write a certain way based solely on gender. We need to start seeing people as individuals all round if society is to progress towards equality and general fairness.

Several cents there...
Platonov

Post by Platonov »

Feelings vs Situations? Read Hemingway's "Hills Like White Elephants." The one augments the other. As to men vs women, well, the pen only asks to be between the paper and the hand.
speedesch2
Favorite Book: The Galway Homicides #4-6
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-speedesch2.html

Post by speedesch2 »

I have read many books written by both and I really don't think you can pin on which is better authors or writers for that matter.
Bigmama1

Post by Bigmama1 »

I have no preference when deciding to read a book. I cannot say that gender even enters my mind when checking out and deciding which books to read. However, I agree with Stephen Kingman to a certain extent. Men are more technical while women are more emotional. That is not to say that a woman cannot write a good technical/horror/thriller book. I do believe that they can.
pagenumber394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

Well, both are good.

JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter and she is amazing.

Markus Zusak wrote the Book Thief and that was also Amazing. With A LOT of feelings.

I have heard this discussion before. I think both know how to create a world and bring depth to their characters.

People seem to say that men do not write chracters with emotion.

Try reading the Book Theif and come back to me about that without crying!

It is not men vs women. It is author style vs author style.

Return to “Discuss Authors”