Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by Amagine »

No gender writes better than the other. :gay-female: :gay-male:
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
transitaddress
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by transitaddress »

[I think women..
because women are more emotional than the men in most number of cases,Men are considered as hard and tough,though greatest authors of all time are men..for eg:William Shakespeare,Kalidas,Shelley etc
bobRas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobras.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by bobRas »

If we escape into the nature vs. nurture argument for a bit, I think that men are usually taught to keep their non-aggressive/non-dominant emotions to themselves (and shamed if they don't), while women are taught to be supportive and/or submissive (and shamed if they're not). This is slowly changing in several societies, but it's still a thing.

Those are just examples, but I think that those learned gender roles lead to certain perceived differences in writing. Like women looking more towards shifting balance, context, relationships, motivation, and time (why and when); while men look more towards steps, goals, purposes, and space (how and what). The greatest authors manage to look towards all of these, regardless of their gender.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
JFalco97
Currently Reading: Shadow Prince
Bookshelf Size: 49

Post by JFalco97 »

I very much agree with many of the replies to this topic and in the end I honestly couldn't pick one or the other. I agree that society has shaped each gender to be the writers that they are, with their styles and what genres suit them better than others. As a woman myself I tend to stick to reading romance and such, which tends to have me reading stuff written by female authors. But whenever I see a guy in there, I always love to read what they've written and applaud them for not sticking to the 'norms'.
chensea
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by chensea »

In my own opinion, men do really do good in writing. :)
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Personally, I don't think that either are really better than the other, it just depends on the author's writing style. I enjoy many books, both by male and female authors. I can understand how you say that women are often more focused on the character's feelings and men often focus more on the situation. This may be true to a certain point, but not always. For example many men often focus on murder mystery novels, but there are those few that write romance novels. I don't read that many murder mysteries, so I really am not sure if the tone is different between men who write them and women. Either way though, I think it just depends on what the writer likes and the reader's preference.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

I think it often depends on who is reading. There are a few women writers I enjoy but too often it becomes a "romance" novel. I remember one who obsessed on a niece of the protagonists who was an FBI agent and a lesbian. The first book with this character was interesting but it wore thin in a hurry for me. I suspect it wouldn't have for many women.
Abdullai Rogers
Currently Reading: Three weeks in spring
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Abdullai Rogers »

One best writer is another worst,but for me abest writer is the one who leave the future unpredictable
Subnavigation54

Post by Subnavigation54 »

To answer your question; men
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I don't think that gender has much to do with writing abilities. I could be wrong but that's just my two cents.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think gender is not the determining factor in writing a good book. Both men and women can write anything in any genre as long as the writer has the right inspiration and the talent to go with it.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Writing and storytelling talent is what makes one a good writer, not gender.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

This might be weird, considering that I'm a woman but I've come to realise that women do excel mainly in romantic genres, with the exception of a few like J.K. Rowling. Mostly men writers are good executioners of thrillers and all of the other genres
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

It can never be said that who is better from men and women. Talent and the quality of work matters. We have very talented men as well as women writers and there is no competition among them.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I think both men and women are good writers. Gender does not play a role in determining the skill of the writer. However, I do admit that there are a lot of low quality novels written by women in the romance and erotic genres. Still, there are many female writers with great romance novels.
In the other genres, I have not yet had any reason to note the gender of the author as it generally has no bearing on the book's quality though it may affect the writing style.

Return to “Discuss Authors”