Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Thomas Tham
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomas-tham.html

Re: Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by Thomas Tham »

For me I think it all depends on what the readers want to read. In my case, I would gladly accept the work that all writers of all sex as long as the story keeps me going. Male authors do tend to make me laugh more as they do not emphasis on the complex emotions of humans and tend to write on how a normal guy would react given the situation. On the other hand, I've read lots of work written by female authors and thus I think its really good on how they always describe the emotion felt by the character although some times its really annoying and funny at the same time.

If you really like an action packed novel then I would suggest most male authors. On the other hand if you're looking for a romance story where the female character also kick butts then I would suggest female authors.
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

I suppose that being a woman I relate better to woman authors. Not that I haven't read plenty of great books by men.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I actually prefer to read women authors. I can't really explain why... I just do. Maybe it is because of the reasons people have already stated in this forum. Women tend to be better at describing feelings, perhaps? I also feel like men writers tend to bog me down with too many details that have nothing in the world to do with the story. Like, they are trying too hard to impress me with their knowledge or something. Eep. No one kill me for saying that. Sorry!
xthelostnekox

Post by xthelostnekox »

it's not about gender. it's really about who can drag you in, drag you through the mud and make you believe youre in the story. To actually make you feel pain for the characters and almost make you cry while reading.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Currently reading a book that I thought was by a woman when I picked it up. I prefer women writers because I feel like I can connect to the characters better. So I've been reading the book and all was fine and dandy. No problems. Loved the characters. All going normally.
Then by pure chance I learned (from somewhere on this forum) that the writer is actually male! I had no clue!
So props to this writer for remaining gender neutral.
fcookjones5

Post by fcookjones5 »

I think it all depends on the persons skills and talents. Gender doesn't matter.
coollilac
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coollilac.html

Post by coollilac »

Depends on the genre and book type. Usually it's best if an author makes the main character the same gender as them.
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I don't think it's fair or even really possible to say that one sex is better at writing than the other. A man may be better at writing a male protagonist and female writing a female protagonist, but writing isn't determined by gender. There are different styles of writing and different genres that both men and women write. I think it's fair to consider the writer's personalities and the genre they most commonly write for. Bu I don't think any one writer comes above every other author out there, it's all about different people opinions based on what they like to read.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

Although some writers will have a style of writing that may play to a certain gender a little more easily I don't know that it really matters one way or the other as long as they're telling a good story.

I've enjoyed both male and female authors in various genres and haven't really thought about their gender as being a factor in their writing. Maybe i'm just naive, but I like Stephen King's portrayals of characters as much as Suzanne Collins'.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I am going to have to say neither. I think that writing is a gift that some people have and some people don't, and it doesn't matter if an author is male or female. There are so many factors that make up "good" writing, and many of them are subjective.

Okay, I have to share this: My husband was just reading this forum over my shoulder, and he said "The answer is in the question." I said, "What do you mean?" to which he replied, "Well, if you take off the W and O in women, what does that leave you with?" I'm gonna smack him now :roll:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Actually the correct answer is:
ME
I am the best writer in the whole wide world. And don't you forget it! 8)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

The only safe answer I can see to who is a better writer is: yes, yes they are. ;) :roll:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Linda7228
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Blood Weddings by Federico Garcia Lorca
Currently Reading: Heist Society
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda7228.html
Latest Review: "The Sham" by Ellen Allen
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Linda7228 »

rssllue wrote:The only safe answer I can see to who is a better writer is: yes, yes they are. ;) :roll:
HA HA! Good answer :lol: ! I think that the gender of the author doesn't matter, I think readers are more influenced by the style of writing than the gender of the author. There are amazing authors who are both male and female I don't think there is a difference or a better one.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
Latest Review: "The Sham" by Ellen Allen
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I read somewhere about a man complaining about how hard it was these days for men to make it into the writing world because it has already turned into a female dominated industry. And I couldn't help thinking, "Well, maybe it would be easier if you were actually good." 8)

And then I gave myself a pat on the back for being so cheeky. 8)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

The backside would have been a better place for a reprimand! Indeed! ;)
Last edited by rssllue on 12 Oct 2014, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “Discuss Authors”