Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
ekatemari
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekatemari.html

Re: Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by ekatemari »

Also, out of curiosity, are you a man or a woman? Just as the title of this thread 'Who's a better writer, men or women?' doesn't actually make grammatical sense and so this could go some way in answering your question.
pagenumber394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

Fran wrote:
StephenKingman wrote:Men are better at writing thrillers and horror, as their logical and technical minds transfer better over print. Women are great at all that romance and touchy feely stuff. Alice Sebold would be a much better author were it not for the limitations of her gender- in practically all her books, she tangentialises at key stages of the book to explore the inner thoughts and feelings of her main character which is very intrusive and not at all appropriate to the situation at hand, whereas male writers tend to concentrate on the action first.
I have read so many books by so many authors. This is simply untrue. It really depends on the authors writing style. Make authors have focused on emotions before and female authors have gone straight to the action. I think both are capable of mixing things up. I'm a girl that happens to be more logical than emotional. You seem to live in a delusion that women are only emotional that write touchy things.

-- 15 Jun 2014, 14:36 --

Male* my phone is horrible at typing correct words.
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

Maybe women because I mostly read chick lit and all that I have read was written by women. :P But then how can I forget Sidney Sheldon?
This is a real tough question and I'm too small and too less informed to choose one. :P
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

I think how good a writer is has nothing to do with their sex. It is all about talent and both sexes are gifted with many wonderful writers.

"Men are better at writing thrillers and horror, as their logical and technical minds transfer better over print. Women are great at all that romance and touchy feely stuff. Alice Sebold would be a much better author were it not for the limitations of her gender- in practically all her books, she tangentialises at key stages of the book to explore the inner thoughts and feelings of her main character which is very intrusive and not at all appropriate to the situation at hand, whereas male writers tend to concentrate on the action first." posted by StevenKingguy

In response to this comment - actually it is such an archaic point of view that I should respond but I have to. Here are exceptions to his observations. Nicholas Sparks writes amazing books about feelings and Melanie Rawn (Don't think she is writing any longer) is my favourite author of fantasy and Sue Grafton who writes mysteries or what about Agatha Christie???? Have you ever met a writer who writes a better, more logical crime solver than her? But then maybe these authors are writing under pen names...... you think? I am a woman - with a degree in mathematics.... who would have thought? in the dark ages when I went to school women were not good at numbers they were into languages! When are we going to get over the stereotypes????? I thought we had gotten beyond that in this day and age!
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I don't think there is a choice we can make about this. It always depends on the writer. Some women/men writers are good and some are not so good. Every person is a different individual than the others so we can't reach a conclusion with this question.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
Jolie
Favorite Author: Margaret Atwood
Favorite Book: All of them
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolie.html
fav_author_id: 3668

Post by Jolie »

In my opinion i think both genders are good writers, however i tend to lean more towards women. I read more from female authors, most books that i am interested on are from females point of view. My two female authors are Atwood and Cisneros and my only favorite male author is Mr Steinbeck c: In reality society will always be gender competition as long as the books are good i will read them :D
"War is what happens when language fails" ~Margaret Atwood
Phil

Post by Phil »

Both are equally great and equal!!
Jasmine_Mannan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-mannan.html

Post by Jasmine_Mannan »

Most of the authors works I have read were men, I don't think it really matters though. Gender doesn't define the standard of the work.
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

I don't have a preference, but I do notice many differences between the two. I agree with the initial post that women explain emotions a lot more in books than men do.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Phil wrote:Both are equally great and equal!!
It's great to see that this thread is still going strong - I agree with your comment!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

No difference whatsoever...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

I completely agree, Suzy-Q. I can't believe this thread still has legs. It's such a silly question to begin with. :roll:
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

PashaRu wrote:I completely agree, Suzy-Q. I can't believe this thread still has legs. It's such a silly question to begin with. :roll:
Why? It's certainly relevant.....
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
clmartz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clmartz.html

Post by clmartz »

I think it's terribly inappropriate to say whether men or women are better writers. Gender has nothing to do with creativity and talent.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html

Post by PashaRu »

clmartz wrote:I think it's terribly inappropriate to say whether men or women are better writers. Gender has nothing to do with creativity and talent.
Agreed. Aside from the fact that the question itself is grammatically incorrect, it would have been better to ask, for example:

"In general, do you prefer men or women authors?"
"What do you think some of the differences are between men and women authors?"

It seems, despite the obtuseness of the question, that these are the questions being answered in this thread anyway.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]

Return to “Discuss Authors”